uniqs

Bigzizzzle
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27
Beverly Hills, CA

Bigzizzzle

Premium Member

[Info] Suggestions for New Cisco Home/ Lab Setup

I am currently running on a Cisco 1811W platform non 15 IOS code but 12.14 Something.

I would like to upgrade to important things, 1 N Wireless, 2 Have a voice capable router, 3 Have Gigabit switch preferring HP Procurve at the moment.

So thoughts should I just buy a used CCNP Voice Quality bundle off ebay which run around 700-1k for typically a Voice IOS capable router on the more modern 2800 platforms, Layer Capable Access Switch (no gigabit), an a few 79xx phones with CUCM / CME management.

Or get a whimsy 89X with N support, HP Procurve with POE. Also get separate lab setup from ebay.

Goals for the Year are CCNP r/s, CCNA voice as well as a fresh upgrade.

Needing the N wireless in the home to better enable Netflix to Samsung TV streaming etc.

Your 00000010 please.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

my 2c...

your home network should not be your lab...

an HP Procurve would not help you with knowing Cisco Catalyst 2950/60 or 3550/60 switches.
An 1811 is a good router to know most routing commands for CCNA/CCNP but you would need multiple devices to test your routing/switching.

Bigzizzzle
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

Bigzizzzle

Premium Member

I'm pretty well familiar with the switch commands on the IOS platform aside from burning a hole on my credit card to get a nexus platform.. muahahaha.

I have become accustom to the HP procurve series and its flex architecture model. They are damn good devices that run 60 cents on the dollar to cisco comparable. Focus lab wise would primarily be voice, yes I could setup a Site to Site VPN with my brother on same ISP 20 miles away just to give him access to my Music NAS.

Any thoughts on equipment, I could always build a separate network and through it on a cheap DSL circuit. For the Voice side.

I might be able to land some older 6500 series Catalyst collecting dust on the pallets at work. We are giving cisco the middle finger as we overall the network architecture. (Moving to a NOC position at a Cisco Shop last week of Oct anyways.)

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

you seem to know what you are talking about, if you are willing to shell out to the local power company if your house is equipped to run a 650W Cisco Cat6k than get those...

Not sure what you are talking about Nexus as it is not in any of the training courses you want to study.

your 6500 is more router than your 1811 will ever be; more switch than any 3550/3560 ever will... So yeah get three of those and you are good to go.

Let's not forget the HP Procurve.

I'd like to add another thing here for ref, for others... It's like saying I want to become a Certified Porsche Auto Mechanic but I am accustomed to my Toyota Celica.

Bigzizzzle
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

Bigzizzzle

Premium Member

Any other thoughts?
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

A Catalyst 6500 series for most common lab need are not necessary. Though those switches' prices are much cheaper these days, you only need to have those kind of switches when you are IT consulting with customers that have such switches or the likes. In addition, you need to make sure that you can withstand the fan noise

Cheap Cisco Voice lab is good enough to get yourself familiar with CCNP Voice exam and/or with Cisco Voice solution in general. Separating lab network from home network is always a good idea.

Getting Cisco N wireless router hoping to get faster connectivity may or may not be a good bet. Keep in mind that wireless medium is a shared one, which may be slower than wired network. In addition, the most likely bottleneck source in regards of Internet connectivity for home or small business environment is your ISP bandwidth size.

Specifically for Cisco N wireless router such as 881-W, make sure you have the proper license to serve your objective. New Cisco platform including 881-W requires license for certain thing such as IPSec VPN and EIGRP.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Bigzizzzle

MVM

to Bigzizzzle
said by Bigzizzzle:

1 N Wireless

You haven't specified how you were going to do this, were you looking for a -W model router with (dualband)
N or a standalone AP? IIRC, 1250APs run $1000USD new, but I came across a 2nd hand one for around $350USD,
of which I am SERIOUSLY tempted to pick up.
said by Bigzizzzle:

2 Have a voice capable router

My personal view on this is "depends on your skill level. I've been wanting a basic functionality voice lab
myself, and IIRC you can do this with two routers, two IP phones, two analog phones, an FXx WIC and a basic
version of CallManager. Want to get into mor advanced functions like dial plans, SIP trunking, etc. and
it's a whole new world out there. If I were to get into the latter, I'd probably go the ebay route rather
than building piecemeal myself.

Regards
Expand your moderator at work