eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[hard drive] Upgrading Laptop to SSD

Hi there.

Quick question (or at least I hope it's quick)...

Is upgrading a laptop to a SSD HD as simple as pop the old one out and replace it with the new one? Are there size differences between laptops/SSD makers?

For reference, my computer and the hard drive I got.
--
Hi. Bye.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
Hard drives are standardized for the most part. The drive manufacturers usually give instruction on how to replace drives. I have done it twice. But that was for desktops. I have replaced components other than drives in laptops. Laptops are slightly similar to desktops, but require a very steady hand and very sensitive manipulation of components. I have messed up several screw holes, lost screw inside the machines, and damaged a few connectors in laptops when I was not sensitive enough or failed to reread and follow disassembly and assembly instructions. The most important thing is to carefully make backup copies of all the data on the hard drive to a set of portable or external hard drives. Make sure you have CDs or other independent sources for application programs.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to eve
Yeah, after some Googling, I basically found what you just said. I plan to move some essential data to an external hard drive, reformat, clone to the SSD and replace.

Thanks!

Also decided on the Crucial M4 instead.
--
Hi. Bye.

scajjr

join:2005-03-01
Kingston, NH
Reviews:
·Comcast
Crucial M4's and Samsung 830 series are tow of the best SSDs.

To get the max from your SSD it is best to go into the BIOS and set your SATA type to AHCI. Now you said you were going to clone your current HDD to the SSD. That can work OK but the alignment of the data will not be optimized like a clean install of your operating system will do. Plus if you didn't have AHCI set on your HDD you will have to do a registry fix to get Windows to boot if you set your BIOS to AHCI. If you leave it set to IDE or Native IDE (different BIOS's can use different terms) Windows will boot but the performance of your SSD won't be what it's specs are for read and write speeds.

Sam

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
reply to eve
So, what would you suggest? Skip the cloning altogether and just install a fresh OS onto the SSD being sure to go into the BIOS afterwards and set SATA to AHCI?
--
Hi. Bye.