CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to ZC_217

Re: can't change supposedly dynamic IP address

said by ZC_217:

Mediacom associates MAC address to IP in the DHCP lease. The reason your PC will get a different IP than your router because they are different MAC addresses. If you spoof a new MAC address on your router, you'll get a different IP.

Spoofing your routers MAC won't get you a new IP. The modem is what is attached via the MAC. Easy way to figure that out is switch your router and reset everything, it will be the same IP(i've also done this when I got a new router).

Ellen098

join:2003-05-04
united state

Are you saying it's the modem's MAC which the IP is derived from? If so, why would the IP address have changed when I didn't use the router?

In any case, is there any way for me to change the IP address without the assistance of Mediacom? If not, since it's defective for all practical purposes (i.e. I have to keep sending emails to myself, downloading them on my phone, & then forwarding them to the intended recipients), how likely do you think it is that Mediacom will do something to change my IP address, which Spamcop has put on a spam list?

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to CappinHoff

I actually had success with getting a new IP once the device (or MAC) that is connected to the modem changed. If this doesn't work you can contact MediacomChad and he can help you.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.