spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Escha

@comcast.net

[Equipment] Dynamic IP not changing - ISP blaming Vonage

I have been stuck with the same IP address for the past 11 months, despite the fact that my ISP (Comcast) assures me I have a dynamic one and that it "should" change. Nope. Repeated calls to Comcast and Vonage results in finger-pointing to each other.

I have: power cycled cable modem and Vportal, pinched the end of my coax (??), done the IPconfig /release.

ALSO, my cable modem (Arris 760a) suddenly lost 2 of the 3 upstream channels on the 8th. Comcast is clueless.

Any help is gratefully appreciated. Thanks. BTW, I've had Vonage for 3 years now and love it.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Escha :

I have been stuck with the same IP address for the past 11 months, despite the fact that my ISP (Comcast) assures me I have a dynamic one and that it "should" change. Nope. Repeated calls to Comcast and Vonage results in finger-pointing to each other.

I have: power cycled cable modem and Vportal, pinched the end of my coax (??), done the IPconfig /release.

ALSO, my cable modem (Arris 760a) suddenly lost 2 of the 3 upstream channels on the 8th. Comcast is clueless.

Any help is gratefully appreciated. Thanks. BTW, I've had Vonage for 3 years now and love it.

What you describe is quite normal for Comcast; it is not unusual for customers to keep the same "dynamic" IP address for many years. Their DHCP servers reserve the current IP address for the MAC address of the device directly behind the cable modem, and they will continue to reissue that same IP address to the device with that same MAC address unless Comcast changes their infrastructure and moves that particular IP address block to another location.

The only way to get a different dynamic IP address from Comcast is to change the MAC address of the device directly behind the cable modem. If your Vportal box is the first device behind the cable modem, you should be able to clone the MAC address of a PC behind it into the Vportal's WAN interface. After doing that you will then need to power cycle both the cable modem and Vportal box.

An on-line link to the Vportal web interface manual is: »support.vonage.com/app/answers/d···cedSetup

Look under the [Advanced Setup/Ethernet Options] section for instructions on how to do MAC address cloning (use cloning instead of spoofing because spoofing can cause network problems for you and others if someone else has a router or PC on the Comcast network using that same MAC address).

If you have another router in front of the Vportal box, then you will need to do the MAC address cloning in that router instead of in the Vportal box.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Escha

@comcast.net
Thanks; I'll have a look at the cloning bit. One question: Would this resolve my loss of my 2 upstream channels? Or how to get them back? If I have to call Comcast (never fun), what should I ask them to do? Thanks muchly.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Escha :

Thanks; I'll have a look at the cloning bit. One question: Would this resolve my loss of my 2 upstream channels? Or how to get them back? If I have to call Comcast (never fun), what should I ask them to do? Thanks muchly.

No, MAC address cloning has nothing to do with upstream channel bonding, but another power cycle of the modem might help with that. After you change your IP address, you may want to check your modem stats and logs and pay particular attention to the upstream power levels. A poor connection is the most common cause of channel bonding problems (it may also be caused by maintenance being done on Comcast's infrastructure).

I would suggest that you open a thread in this site's »Comcast HSI forum for help with your upstream bonding issue. If you register on this site and get a userid, you can also post in the »Comcast Direct forum and get direct help from a level higher than the tier one phone support.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Escha

@comcast.net
reply to NetFixer
I'll have a look at the cloning. ONE QUESTION: would the cloning get back my 2 missing upstream channels? Or how do I get them back? If I have to call Comcast, what do I ask them to do. (Sorry if this is a repeated response.) THANKS.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Did you not even read the very first line of Netfixers reply?

"No, MAC address cloning has nothing to do with upstream channel bonding, but another power cycle of the modem might help with that"

What's the reason for wanting/needing to change IP address. That has nothing to do with nothing!

When I first signed up with Charter 12+ years ago, I had the same IP for over 3 years. Actually thought it was cool. Had it memorized and never had an issue with No-IP for ftp either then.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by cork1958:

What's the reason for wanting/needing to change IP address...

When I first signed up with Charter 12+ years ago, I had the same IP for over 3 years. Actually thought it was cool. Had it memorized and never had an issue with No-IP for ftp either then.

I have paid extra to get static IP addresses with several ISPs. But then again, I have never been banned from any on-line forums or newsgroups for spamming, and that is one of the main reasons for wanting changeable IP addresses (not saying that is the OP's situation, but it is the most common reason).
--

cork1958
Cork
Premium
Well aware of why most people feel the need to force their IP address to change.

Another reason is a persons ISP has written them a letter to stop file sharing!

As far as I'm concerned, those are the ONLY reasons for wanting to do that!
--
The Firefox alternative.

Foxbat121

join:2001-04-25
Herndon, VA
said by cork1958:

Another reason is a persons ISP has written them a letter to stop file sharing!

ISP will have history of IPs you ever owned. Once you received the letter, it is on your account history, not necessary tied to your IP address. Changing your IP address will have zero effect to that.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
You and I know that, but most people freaking out over a letter from their ISP think it helps to force an IP change.
--
The Firefox alternative.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
reply to Escha
'Suddenly loosing' the upstream channels sounds like you got throttled by your ISP.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by dnoyeB:

'Suddenly loosing' the upstream channels sounds like you got throttled by your ISP.

'Suddenly losing' the upstream channels sounds more like a line or modem problem (or possibly just some local CMTS maintenance). Upstream or downstream channel bonding is negotiated between a DOCSIS 3 modem and the CMTS. There is no way I know of for that to be done on a per customer basis. Besides, Comcast has much more sophisticated methods of throttling should they choose to do so again.
--

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to Escha
Despite the OP not returning for a while:
- his 'issue' has nothing to do with Vonage
- a constant dynamic IP is preferred by many and as long as you don't do anything nasty I don't see a reason for a change
- again the issue has nothing to do with Vonage - post in your provider's form to get answers around US/DS channels, forced IP changes etc...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

Escha

@comcast.net
Sorry for delay in returning. Actually had a bit of "a life", lol.

My reasons for wanting a new IP addy has NOTHING to do with being banned from sites or stuff like that. I just like having a new IP addy. I'm a senior citizen; my downloads are Microsoft updates.

Why would my ISP want to throttle me? Again, just Microsoft updates and using the Pogo dot com website for such heavy duty gaming as Canasta and solitaire.

Power cycling my modem and VOIP adapter, resetting the Arris 760a has NOT returned channel bonding.