I moved into a residence with existing service provided by the landlords. The connection drops out frequently, especially when under high load. The modem is rented from Mediacom: Motorola SB5100. Below is the standard rundown of information and attached is a log from the modem when it dropped frequently this morning.
1. A description of the problem. (i.e. lost connection, slow speeds, high pings, etc.)
My internet connection drops for 10-30sec very frequently (every 3-5min) when I download lots of data from Amazon, iTunes, and Steam. This morning has been especially bad, modem log attached.
2. Give a description of any home networking setup you may have. (i.e. router make/ model, hubs, adapters, etc.)
Netgear WNDR3700v1 with stock firmware 22.214.171.124
3. Modem make, model and firmware version.
Software Version: SB5100-126.96.36.199-SCM00-NOSH
Hardware Version: 3
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
VxWorks Version: 5.4
4. Signal levels found at »192.168.100.1 if applicable.
Frequency 111000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 39 dB
Power Level -4 dB
Channel ID 1
Frequency 33000000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 48 dBmV
5. A speed test from DSLR.
I had trouble with the DSLR speed tests reporting 80-90Mbps downloads, so here's a test from Speedtest.net which is more reflective of the speeds I see:
6. A Line Quality test from here. Please copy & post the URL in the red box! This could take a while, so you might run this first.http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/8c89abb55956/2951956
7. Which operating system you use? Windows 98/98SE/ME/2K/XP, etc.
Win 7, Mac OS 10.7
8. Is the problem constant, intermittent, or does it occur at a specific time of day? If it is an intermittent problem, a 24hr smokeping is recommended.
Occurs most frequently when under heavy load, but occasionally drops while I'm just reading the news (maybe once every 2-3 hours).
9. Include any firewall and/or anti-virus software you have installed and what version you have.
Avira Antivirus Premium, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware