All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

Any plans for faster upload on 100/5 tier?

I just got the 100/5 tier (brother in law lives with us... wanted it, otherwise I was fine with my 15/3) and speeds are as advertised but upload could be better...

Any estimates as to when charter will do upstream bonding and provide a little bit faster upstream (10 up would be great!)

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Just got the 100/5 and already trying to be greedy for more upload?

C'mon! How much do you think you need?

Just messing with you!
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

Lol,

Well we got the 100mb tier because it had faster upload (albeit not much.)

I just wish their tiers were more proportionate... 30 down gets you 4 up... if you connected 3 services up together you'd have 90 down and 12 up.... that's why there should be at least 10 up... I mean 1/10th upstream of the downstream total isn't greedy... when we were on the 15/3 it was 1/5th...
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by BlakePaulson:

Lol,

Well we got the 100mb tier because it had faster upload (albeit not much.)

I just wish their tiers were more proportionate... 30 down gets you 4 up... if you connected 3 services up together you'd have 90 down and 12 up.... that's why there should be at least 10 up... I mean 1/10th upstream of the downstream total isn't greedy... when we were on the 15/3 it was 1/5th...

100 Meg bonds 4 channels. Upload currently uses 1.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
I would like to see 100mb/50mb personally. To be more realistic since it is Charter we are talking about. I would be pleased with 100mb/25mb for a start. That weenie 5mb upload is embarrassing.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to BlakePaulson

Premium Member

to BlakePaulson
I'm with you on having more upload anytime.

Never have given to much of a rats rip about the download as I'm not a gamer and I don't do Netflix at all, but it sure would be sweet for a 30/30 plan!! I'd be all over that, provided Charter didn't rape you on the price!
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by cork1958:

I'm with you on having more upload anytime.

Never have given to much of a rats rip about the download as I'm not a gamer and I don't do Netflix at all, but it sure would be sweet for a 30/30 plan!! I'd be all over that, provided Charter didn't rape you on the price!

A) you don't need even need 30 Meg for gaming even 3 Mbps is plenty fast for something like Xbox Live.

B) rape? Seriously?
Expand your moderator at work
mj3431
join:2003-04-21
STL, MO

mj3431 to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson

Re: Any plans for faster upload on 100/5 tier?

I hope they plan to implement US bonding soon. 4 US channels like the 4 DS would welcome 100/20 or something close. I can't see many people taking the new $200 rumored activation and pricing for the current upstream offering. I know I definitely won't stay here when my promo is up next year.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by mj3431:

I hope they plan to implement US bonding soon. 4 US channels like the 4 DS would welcome 100/20 or something close. I can't see many people taking the new $200 rumored activation and pricing for the current upstream offering. I know I definitely won't stay here when my promo is up next year.

If the $110 monthly fee doesn't scare them off I'm not sure if a $200 install fee will. I wasn't willing to pay for it when it was $85. Increasing the upload wouldn't have change my mind one bit. Of course everyone is different. If I need more than 250 GB It's cheaper just to have two 30 Mbps plans or even cheaper to get 20 meg business internet.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

No cap in place so that is a non issue.

King Boo
@charter.com

King Boo

Anon

Id be happy with 16 upload to be honest. Being a youtube uploader sucks with slower connections.

boosters
@wideopenwest.com

boosters to BlakePaulson

Anon

to BlakePaulson
My cable company is bonding 8 channels down and 2 channels up. They offer a 50/5 as there top tier.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson
Ya, that upload is a real joke.

Charter's plan's should be 100/50 and 30/15.

Even my Canopy wireless beats it a little and has the ability to beat it a lot if I wanted to pay a lot more.

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

You're comparing apples to oranges. The Canopy wireless system uses FSK modulation and is designed to have much smaller nodes (maximum of 200 clients per AP module, sharing 20Mbps of bandwidth on the PMP100 series). That's only 200Kbps if everyone wants to upload.
On a typical cable plant, you're using anything from a 6.4MHz wide ATDMA channel (27Mbps of nominal upstream capacity), to a 1.6MHz QPSK upstream (2.3Mbps nominal upstream capacity).
Now based on Charter's service offerings, they're probably using 3.2MHz wide QAM16, and 6.4MHz QAM64 upstreams that offer from 9.2-27.5Mbps of upstream capacity, and probably have 100-300 users per upstream channel.
With that modulation and combining, 5-10Mbps is a reasonable top tier if you want your users to actually get their advertised speeds.
I can't say I've seen too many people on here complain that they're not getting their upload speeds, so it seems to be working.
I would bet that once they get upstream channel bonding working, 20-50Mbps is a pretty safe bet. My guess would be late 2013 and we'll see it.
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

Well the other things to take into account are whether or not the customer has gigabit Ethernet on the devices they use (computer/router/switches)

I just got done switching everything over but most people wouldn't have a clue about it!

SHoTTa35
@mycingular.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Really that's the max? Optimum Online offers theirs at 101/15 (I don't work for them :P) The middle tier is 50/8. This is all on 1 upstream and 4 down (recently they added 4 more down). So if OOL is doing 15 on a single US then why can't Charter? Not bashing, just curious actually.

/offtopic
I guess they still suck now though because we've been without services since Monday! Power came back in some places but I guess the headend is still offline with no power. Generators?!?

TXNJ
@txnj.net

TXNJ

Anon

said by SHoTTa35 :

I guess they still suck now though because we've been without services since Monday! Power came back in some places but I guess the headend is still offline with no power. Generators?!?

I have a friend in Brooklyn NY and his Verizon FIOS is still working (and electricity too obviously).