All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
MajorPewPew
join:2010-09-19

MajorPewPew to HoboJ

to HoboJ

Re: [Serious] War of 1812 Commercials??

Personally, there is a huge difference between Canada as a colony of the British Empire vs Canada as a nation. My old history teacher always taught us that the modern day Sovereign Nation of Canada didn't exist until post WWI.
It seems to me that Heritage Canada is trying to pass off colonial history as something more, which I personally don't agree with.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000

Premium Member

said by MajorPewPew:

Personally, there is a huge difference between Canada as a colony of the British Empire vs Canada as a nation. My old history teacher always taught us that the modern day Sovereign Nation of Canada didn't exist until post WWI.
It seems to me that Heritage Canada is trying to pass off colonial history as something more, which I personally don't agree with.

So you're saying that even though the events took place here with the ancestors of many Canadians participating in it, it isn't part of Canada's history?

edit: I forgot to include: the outcome of that war is what ultimately allowed Canada to become the nation that it is today.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to MajorPewPew

Premium Member

to MajorPewPew
said by MajorPewPew:

My old history teacher always taught us that the modern day Sovereign Nation of Canada didn't exist until post WWI.

I am sure that he was a fine fellow but that's his opinion.

--------------------------

So when did Canada begin in your view:

a) Confederation 1867.

b) Battle of Vimy Ridge 1917.

c) Statute of Westminster 1931.

d) Declaration of war (WW II) 1939, which Canada specifically did separately from the UK to make a point.

e) First Canadian-born Governor General of Canada 1952.

f) Canadian flag 1965.

g) Control of its own Constitution 1982.

My country was born by a Revolution, yours was born by an Evolution.
MajorPewPew

MajorPewPew

said by PX Eliezer704:

So when did Canada begin in your view:

a) Confederation 1867.

b) Battle of Vimy Ridge 1917.

c) Statute of Westminster 1931.

d) Declaration of war (WW II) 1939, which Canada specifically did separately from the UK to make a point.

e) First Canadian-born Governor General of Canada 1952.

f) Canadian flag 1965.

g) Control of its own Constitution 1982.

My country was born by a Revolution, yours was born by an Evolution.

Personally, I agree with my old history teacher. So C would be my opinion.

Also, to TLS2000, I believe it to be colonial history as a subject to the British Empire, not that of Canada's own. Gotta draw the line somewhere, otherwise you can argue that ancestral European history as a part of Canadian history. But thats just my opinion.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

I think Canadian history starts with the actions of Europeans in what eventually became Canada. Meaning, we don't get to pick and choose what pre-Vimy Ridge event is Canadian or not. If Voyageurs and the Metis and the Yukon gold rush and the Plains of Abraham and the Battle of Louisbourg are all part of the history of Canada, then so is the war of 1812 and the Canadian militias who fought in it.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to MajorPewPew

Premium Member

to MajorPewPew
said by MajorPewPew:

Also, to TLS2000, I believe it to be colonial history as a subject to the British Empire, not that of Canada's own. Gotta draw the line somewhere, otherwise you can argue that ancestral European history as a part of Canadian history. But thats just my opinion.

Believe what you want, but it's my opinion that it happened here, which makes it part of our history. Vikings landing in Newfoundland is a part of Canada's history. The tribes that crossed over the land bridge and came to Canada are part of Canada's history. In my opinion, the line is geographical.
MajorPewPew

MajorPewPew

said by TLS2000:

said by MajorPewPew:

Believe what you want, but it's my opinion that it happened here, which makes it part of our history. Vikings landing in Newfoundland is a part of Canada's history. The tribes that crossed over the land bridge and came to Canada are part of Canada's history. In my opinion, the line is geographical.

Well sir, to each his own. It is a free country after all.