antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

WRT54GL router's DHCP Active IP Table don't show wired ones?

Hello.

On my old Linksys WRT54GL router (with its latest stock firmware)'s »192.168.1.1/DHCPTable.asp for DHCP Active IP Table, it only shows wireless connections. How come it doesn't show wired ones?

Thank you in advance.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2

It should, assuming the router hasn't been restarted or those wired machines are not using DHCP.

Restart a wired DHCP machine. Does it then show up?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
reply to antdude

I am a dork. I have my wired machines using static IP addresses.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

No you're not. I run ALL my non-moving wired machines static IP.

BTW, these routers don't remember DHCP clients across reboots. Heck, if they can't get to a time server they have no idea what year it is, either!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Bill_MI:

No you're not. I run ALL my non-moving wired machines static IP.

BTW, these routers don't remember DHCP clients across reboots. Heck, if they can't get to a time server they have no idea what year it is, either!

Isn't that normal to forget from a router reboot? Is there a static IP address list in the router?
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

It's not like the router doesn't carry every packet so it does know every IP. Some routers have logs but I haven't seen it whittled down to a list like the DHCP table. (anyone?) The GL runs Linux which has a connection table at all times but no interface to it in stock firmware.

Forgetting DHCP on reboot is from lack of non-volatile memory - you really don't want to write Flash often. It's not like a harddisk.

As for a real-time-clock with a battery, that's pure cost factor. The low end routers never seem to have these. A time server is much cheaper.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Bill_MI:

It's not like the router doesn't carry every packet so it does know every IP. Some routers have logs but I haven't seen it whittled down to a list like the DHCP table. (anyone?) The GL runs Linux which has a connection table at all times.

Forgetting DHCP on reboot is from lack of non-volatile memory - you really don't want to write Flash often. It's not like a harddisk.

As for a real-time-clock with a battery, that's pure cost factor. The low end routers never seem to have these. A time server is much cheaper.

Ah. I wonder where my router is getting its date and time then. It looks correct: "Current Time: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:51:27".
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI

On boot it goes to a time server and gets all it needs. It has your time zone in Flash.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Bill_MI:

On boot it goes to a time server and gets all it needs. It has your time zone in Flash.

Ah, I wonder how long this time server will be up. :/

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit

Boot up with no WAN/Internet connection and see what time it says!

Some... I don't think the GL does... set time via browser javascript. It says "Thanks for coming to my web page, can you tell me what time it is so I can know?"

EDIT: oh, it has a timer running as a clock. It just doesn't know CURRENT time without the time server. It probably checks it very seldom, maybe once a day.

EDIT2: Time server check at boot, too, of course.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to antdude

said by antdude:

You just answered your own question, that you started this thread with.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by antdude:

You just answered your own question, that you started this thread with.

Yeah, I failed.
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to antdude

said by Bill_MI: :

BTW, these routers don't remember DHCP clients across reboots. Isn't that normal to forget from a router reboot? Is there a static IP address list in the router?

Most all dhcp clients will retain it's dhcp lease info if the dhcp server does not refuse to allow continued use of the current valid dhcp lease info

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to antdude

Static IP's are lame! Use Reserved DHCP!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Extide:

Static IP's are lame! Use Reserved DHCP!

Reserved DHCPs? Where is that in the Linksys stock firmware? I didn't see them.

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

2 recommendations

Not available on the WRT54G routers with the Linksys firmware. I have no idea what is so "lame" about statc IPs.