share rss forum feed

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

Defrag NTFS external hard drive

Just purchased a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2TB USB 3.0 external drive from Best Buy in Bangor, Maine for $83.00...

Is there a way to defrag a NTFS drive from within Linux. Not interested in setting up a dual boot or a Virtual Box install of Windows. Besides I don't have any spare Windows licenses...

Or would I be better of reformating the external drive to a native Linux filesystem (ext2, ext3, etc)...

I'm using Zorin OS »www.zorin-os.com/

Thanks kindly...

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by vue666:

Besides I don't have any spare Windows licenses...

Sounds like you have at least one Windows box somewhere. Move the drive to it, defrag it, and move it back.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to vue666
First of all NTFS doesn't need to be defragged.

Secondly it depends on what OSes you will be using to access the drive. Linux has no problem reading and writing NTFS but if you are planning on using the drive with Windows either as a dual boot or a sneakernet then you are better off keeping NTFS on there than going thru the extra hassle of finding and installing Windows drivers for a Linux filesystem on your windows box.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to graysonf
I would only do this as a last result... Besides that is NOT what I am asking...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
I have a network of 4 computers. Opensuse and Zorin Os configured as Samba file/print servers. And two Windows 7 Home Premium computers setup as client computers...

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to vue666
AFAIK, there is no way to defrag NTFS from an non-Windows OS. So if you still want it defragged, you have the answer. If you don't need NTFS for portability reasons, then reformat it for a *nix filesystem

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
Thanks kindly for the reply... what Linux filesystem would be the best for external drives?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'd use whatever your Linux system has defaulted to when you installed it.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

First of all NTFS doesn't need to be defragged.

Then why does Microsoft go to the trouble of including a defragger?

lugnut

@look.ca
My understanding is that NTFS was designed to defrag itself on the fly, like a Linux filesystem.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Well, it didn't turn out that way.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
And that's WHY I'm asking...

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

My understanding is that NTFS was designed to defrag itself on the fly, like a Linux filesystem.

No, that myth died in the 90's. I do not think there was a defrag from MS that supported it until Windows 2000, even though NTFS had been around since 1993.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
reply to vue666
Why would you want to keep that drive NTFS on linux machine anyway? Just go native FS.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to vue666
Just a thought, but sharing through SMB doesn't really matter much what the filesystem is. I have ext4 drives sharing to Windows boxes just fine. You get the journaling and defrag advantages that way.

Of course, NTFS best to share on a dual-boot.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

No, that myth died in the 90's. I do not think there was a defrag from MS that supported it until Windows 2000, even though NTFS had been around since 1993.

I have copies of Diskeeper Defragmenter for NT going back to 1997, probably even further but not in my file catalogs - I'd have to go digging thru boxes to find the CDs.

Diskeeper is the company that provides the cut down version of its product that is part of Windows, beginning with Windows 2000.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by graysonf:

said by donoreo:

I have copies of Diskeeper Defragmenter for NT going back to 1997, probably even further but not in my file catalogs - I'd have to go digging thru boxes to find the CDs.

Diskeeper is the company that provides the cut down version of its product that is part of Windows, beginning with Windows 2000.

That is correct. If you wanted to defrag, you had to get a third party product. MS lied and said it did not need defragmenting.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

lugnut

@look.ca
I stand corrected. I stopped using Windows as my primary OS around 1999 so I was operating on an outdated assumption. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to vue666
I would pave it with your favorite linux file system and forget about it.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

what Linux filesystem would be the best for external drives?

Probably EXT4. That's going to work with pretty any much any distro that was released in the last couple of years.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
Was going to chime in here and say EXT4, but someone got to it.

We use EXT file systems on all our linux servers and nothing else.

On AIX we use jfs2.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK