spc
uniqs

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to graysonf

Anon

to graysonf

Re: Defrag NTFS external hard drive

My understanding is that NTFS was designed to defrag itself on the fly, like a Linux filesystem.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Well, it didn't turn out that way.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

And that's WHY I'm asking...

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

My understanding is that NTFS was designed to defrag itself on the fly, like a Linux filesystem.

No, that myth died in the 90's. I do not think there was a defrag from MS that supported it until Windows 2000, even though NTFS had been around since 1993.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

said by donoreo:

No, that myth died in the 90's. I do not think there was a defrag from MS that supported it until Windows 2000, even though NTFS had been around since 1993.

I have copies of Diskeeper Defragmenter for NT going back to 1997, probably even further but not in my file catalogs - I'd have to go digging thru boxes to find the CDs.

Diskeeper is the company that provides the cut down version of its product that is part of Windows, beginning with Windows 2000.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

said by donoreo:

I have copies of Diskeeper Defragmenter for NT going back to 1997, probably even further but not in my file catalogs - I'd have to go digging thru boxes to find the CDs.

Diskeeper is the company that provides the cut down version of its product that is part of Windows, beginning with Windows 2000.

That is correct. If you wanted to defrag, you had to get a third party product. MS lied and said it did not need defragmenting.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

I stand corrected. I stopped using Windows as my primary OS around 1999 so I was operating on an outdated assumption. Thanks for clearing that up for me.