ajsfuxor
join:2012-10-14

1 edit

ajsfuxor

SB6141 Can't access modem config manager

Click for full size
Mysterious login page
Hi guys,

I'm with TWC and have just purchased a brand new Motorola SB6141. I'm having all sorts of troubles with it, and I want to diagnose some of the problems.

I want to access the modem config manager, and in the manual it says:

Starting the Modem Configuration Manager
1. Open any web browser on a PC connected to your modem.
2. In the Address bar, type »192.168.100.1 for the Modem Configuration Manager IP address, and
then press Enter. The following Status page appears when you first log on.

The only problem is when I go to that URL, I see the following page (attached) requesting a password. Motorola didn't know why it was happening. How can I access the config manager to fix my modem if I don't know the password, nor ever set one up?

I've tried all the usual passwords like motorola, password, admin etc. Not luck. What's wrong with my modem?

Thanks,

Adam.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

#1 Did you try reset the Motorola SB6141 back to the defaults?

#2 Where did you get this Motorola SB6141? For example: Online - eBay.
ajsfuxor

ajsfuxor

1) I can't reset the modem back to defaults - there is no physical 'reset' button on this modem that I can see. That's why I'm trying to access the config manager.

2) It was purchased brand new on Amazon.com this past week.

Anyone know how to completely reset this modem back to defaults?
adrman
Premium Member
join:2007-08-23
New York, NY

1 edit

adrman to ajsfuxor

Premium Member

to ajsfuxor
I'm having the same issue with a 6141 and TWC. TWC claims it's not their provisioning file and Motorola has no knowledge of it either. The one thing I haven't tried is a direct connection from my pc to the modem and I'll give that a go when I return home tonight. I have a suspicion it's TWC's provisioning file though. The techs that I spoke with regarding the initial provision of the modem and subsequently, with questions about this problem, seemed a little less than totally knowledgeable. When I first brought it up, I was told that something had been left out of the initial provisioning and that was the cause. However, whatever they added gave me the same result. I will update later.

Added and confirmed with Motorola: There is no way to reset this device without using the web configurator.
ajsfuxor

ajsfuxor

This is so frustrating! I'm on the phone with TWC now - and they are being helpful, but we can't figure it out.

Motorola claim it isn't them - and I'm inclined to believe them. If we solve the problem I will let you know.

Please fill me in if you have any luck as well.
ajsfuxor

ajsfuxor

TWC were very helpful this morning, but still can't fix the problem.

They seem to think that when I switched over from a leased modem to a self bought one, there was something they did to the new modem, but can't 'undo' it.

They have escalated it to their hardware team - and I am expecting a call back. The good thing is they are aware of the problem now, and are looking into it.

It was fantastic service though - so props to TWC.
adrman
Premium Member
New York, NY

adrman

Premium Member

Let me know if you hear anything back from them. Given the amount of time I've spent on hold and on the phone trying to get this modem working, I'll say the people are nice, but I'm not ready to give them props just yet.
adrman

adrman to ajsfuxor

Premium Member

to ajsfuxor
I now have it confirmed by TWC that this is due to their provisioning file being incorrect. Evidently the file that they pushed assumes that the 6141 is one of their wireless router modems. Several people have called in today with the same complaint, so hopefully we'll see a resolution soon. Also I did try a direct connection to the modem with the same result.
ajsfuxor

ajsfuxor

Fantastic - good to have other people with the same problem

Yann
@rr.com

Yann

Anon

Well, here is web chat operator statement as of today :

"I really appreciate your patience and I regret to inform you that as per our research this is no where concerned with TWC and as it is a third party router TWC doesn't provision any file as you stated. You will have to contact the modem manufacturer. I will help you with the contact information.".
I bought mine from ebay, it looked unused with original wrapping but I can't be really sure if it is not refurbished, or if TWC took over configuration.

And I see no way to reset the thing.
ajsfuxor

ajsfuxor

I've been through a few web chat operators - and they don't know much. Just the basics, that's all they are trained for. Sit tight, we are waiting to hear back from TWC engineering/hardware team. They are definitely aware of the problem.

Yann
@rr.com

Yann

Anon

Nothing new ? Should I return the modem and plug a fresh one ?
adrman
Premium Member
New York, NY

adrman

Premium Member

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a quick resolution to this, if indeed it's ever resolved at all. A new modem will just end up the same once TW provisions it.

Yann
@rr.com

Yann

Anon

I thought maybe the original issue has been fixed (they no longer take over modem config), and what needs to be done is removing their config from provisioned devices. And I though maybe my modem was already like that, or I could test the new modem for the login page before connecting the coax cable so that I'm sure the problem is on their side. I talked with them again on the phone and no way they will tell me the problem is on their side : call Motorola if you can't login to the admin page, test default username and password, this is your modem and there is no way I can help you with that... Yeah great...

Right now I get disconnected from time to time for 5 or 10 minutes and I don't know what to blame. And TWC just tells me it is my modem fault and everything is ok on their side. Since the modem is new, they could be right but I can't even access my devices logs !

That's a terrible situation !

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj to ajsfuxor

Mod

to ajsfuxor
Since it is not clear if it is a TWC or Motorola issue, I am going to move this to the TWC (Road Runner) forum to see if anyone there has any idea of what is happening here.
adrman
Premium Member
New York, NY

adrman to Yann

Premium Member

to Yann
said by Yann :

I talked with them again on the phone and no way they will tell me the problem is on their side

Yann, last Monday I did get confirmation from a level 3 technician that this was a TWC problem caused by their provisioning file. As I said, I think this will take them time (and many complaints) for them to fix the issue. Did you contact level 3 support @ 866-506-0218?
said by Yann :

Right now I get disconnected from time to time for 5 or 10 minutes and I don't know what to blame. And TWC just tells me it is my modem fault and everything is ok on their side. Since the modem is new, they could be right but I can't even access my devices logs !

That's a terrible situation !

Agreed. I know it's not of much or any help to you, but aside from this admittedly large issue, my SB6141 has been solid since it was provisioned over a week ago. Mods, perhaps this thread should be merged with the other activation thread?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to ajsfuxor

Premium Member

to ajsfuxor
Possibly this is limited to New York area? My 6141 does not have this problem, although it was provisioned back in the Spring.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to adrman

to adrman
said by adrman:

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a quick resolution to this, if indeed it's ever resolved at all. A new modem will just end up the same once TW provisions it.

Could this be TWC's way of saying, "fine you can buy your own modem but we will not let you access the modem stats?"
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to ajsfuxor

Premium Member

to ajsfuxor
I'm 99.999% certain this is ENTIRELY TWC's fault. To prove it, power the modem up disconnected from the cable. No password? Now plug the cable in. As soon as it's loaded the DOCSIS config, it'll have a password. If they're loading the 6580 config on it, (a) it should spew a ton of errors, and (b) they sure as hell know what the password is.

(this is, in fact, the way around the password lockout on a 6580. i.e. how to get one in bridge mode with the firewall completely off.)

Bottom line, people should sue TWC for their complete botched job of handling customer owned modems -- something they damn well knew was coming when they decided to up everyone's bill.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"Bottom line, people should sue TWC for their complete botched job of handling customer owned modems "

That's a little extreme, but good luck. If there is a ticket open which it seems is true, let it take its course.

Hob

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to ajsfuxor

Premium Member

to ajsfuxor
Password to access 6141 status means they uploaded wrong config meant most likely for 6850, I think I heard of this before, I just wonder if there is a true way to fix this, you tried doing a reset right? problem is 6141 doesnt have physical button to do hard reset as normally its done through the status configuration page. TW blocking access to 6141 is a mistake on their end and also prevents u from being able to do hard reset of the modem as well. Very bad situation.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
Class action suits rarely benefit the wronged, but they do such a great job of pissing off the bad company. Will TWC fix their crap... eventually, maybe even before a regulatory agency takes notice.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by cramer:

Class action suits rarely benefit the wronged, but they do such a great job of pissing off the bad company. Will TWC fix their crap... eventually, maybe even before a regulatory agency takes notice.

Do you have the same issue in NC?

Hob

bluepoint

bluepoint

I think he said the 6141 block is similar to the 6580, I assume that's what he have.
tragik74
join:2012-10-12
Flushing, NY

tragik74 to ajsfuxor

to ajsfuxor
i didn't receive any update from twc. i think both modem have the same firmware.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

I think he said the 6141 block is similar to the 6580, I assume that's what he have.

I am specifically asking whether he is experiencing it in NC.
I do not require assumptions, thank you

Hob

bluepoint

1 edit

bluepoint

said by hobgoblin:

said by bluepoint:

I am specifically asking whether he is experiencing it in NC.
I do not require assumptions, thank you

Hob

What a grumpy old men! Need a medication?
But how was he able to disconnect the cable and was able to configure the modem if he didn't experience the block out?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"What a grumpy old men! Need a medication?"

I was actually trying to get some information to facilitate a fix. Hard to do with threats of a class action law suit and assumptions.

If beer counts as medication then yes.

Hob

bluepoint

bluepoint

said by hobgoblin:

If beer counts as medication then yes.

Hob

Noooooooo!!! Then you will be grumpier.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
I am an Earthlink subscriber. Us poor schmucks don't have access to wideband -- and don't pay a modem rental anyway. I've not seen or heard of an owned or rented modem being locked in Raleigh -- D2 or D3. (I've heard the complete opposite out of CLT, but my sister's Ambit modem accepts the well known defaults. I have not accessed those other people's modems.)

I don't know of anyone having this specific issue in NC, but there hasn't been a run on modems around here, but both RDU and CLT markets have accepted customer owned modems for many years without issue or delay -- call support, read off the mac, and you're live in seconds. Also, no one in the area sells the 6141, 6580 sure -- Best Buy has had shelves of 6140s for months (which, of course, no one will buy.) The boot-modem-disconnected method has worked for many people, for a long time, unrelated to provisioning problems. (of course, the config can change any of those settings.)