uniqs
share rss forum feed

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to ajsfuxor

Re: SB6141 Can't access modem config manager

Password to access 6141 status means they uploaded wrong config meant most likely for 6850, I think I heard of this before, I just wonder if there is a true way to fix this, you tried doing a reset right? problem is 6141 doesnt have physical button to do hard reset as normally its done through the status configuration page. TW blocking access to 6141 is a mistake on their end and also prevents u from being able to do hard reset of the modem as well. Very bad situation.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to hobgoblin
Class action suits rarely benefit the wronged, but they do such a great job of pissing off the bad company. Will TWC fix their crap... eventually, maybe even before a regulatory agency takes notice.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
said by cramer:

Class action suits rarely benefit the wronged, but they do such a great job of pissing off the bad company. Will TWC fix their crap... eventually, maybe even before a regulatory agency takes notice.

Do you have the same issue in NC?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
I think he said the 6141 block is similar to the 6580, I assume that's what he have.

tragik74

join:2012-10-12
Flushing, NY
reply to ajsfuxor
i didn't receive any update from twc. i think both modem have the same firmware.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

I think he said the 6141 block is similar to the 6580, I assume that's what he have.

I am specifically asking whether he is experiencing it in NC.
I do not require assumptions, thank you

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bluepoint

1 edit
said by hobgoblin:

said by bluepoint:

I am specifically asking whether he is experiencing it in NC.
I do not require assumptions, thank you

Hob

What a grumpy old men! Need a medication?
But how was he able to disconnect the cable and was able to configure the modem if he didn't experience the block out?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

"What a grumpy old men! Need a medication?"

I was actually trying to get some information to facilitate a fix. Hard to do with threats of a class action law suit and assumptions.

If beer counts as medication then yes.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bluepoint

said by hobgoblin:

If beer counts as medication then yes.

Hob

Noooooooo!!! Then you will be grumpier.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to hobgoblin
I am an Earthlink subscriber. Us poor schmucks don't have access to wideband -- and don't pay a modem rental anyway. I've not seen or heard of an owned or rented modem being locked in Raleigh -- D2 or D3. (I've heard the complete opposite out of CLT, but my sister's Ambit modem accepts the well known defaults. I have not accessed those other people's modems.)

I don't know of anyone having this specific issue in NC, but there hasn't been a run on modems around here, but both RDU and CLT markets have accepted customer owned modems for many years without issue or delay -- call support, read off the mac, and you're live in seconds. Also, no one in the area sells the 6141, 6580 sure -- Best Buy has had shelves of 6140s for months (which, of course, no one will buy.) The boot-modem-disconnected method has worked for many people, for a long time, unrelated to provisioning problems. (of course, the config can change any of those settings.)

Consumer

@rr.com
reply to ajsfuxor
It should not really matter if the cause is time warner or not since they approved this modem or should I say listed it as one of their approved modems, that makes them responsible for the problems that people are having, no way to deny that . If the modem is known to have problems then they should not be approving it. perhaps they should do more an better testing before recommending this product to their customers which then go out and purchases it and are stuck with a product that does not work properly.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to ajsfuxor
This has nothing to do with sb 6141 not being compatible, they simply sent wrong config to the modem, setup the account/provisioning incorrectly.

bluepoint

But how do we know that's really what happen? It's hard to believe of what TWC claims if it's true. Any files they send to us are tested and verified I would believe. Anything less is incompetency and deserved to be fired.
If TWC do not correct these subscribers owned modem control then it must be reported to the appropriate government agency.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
That's got me wondering something. I know that you can provision a D3 modem as a gateway or a modem, and I'm wondering if someone provisioned it as a gateway which may or may not cause the error. Also, phone agents do not directly control firmware on modems, most of that is automatic, and most agents don't know how it works (or really care because they can't control it). OP, where is your account located?

e: I would go into the support forums on here and see if an agent can access the account and see how the modem is provisioned - Either as a gateway or an actual modem, I'm curious now.

bluepoint

said by Fleeced:

That's got me wondering something. I know that you can provision a D3 modem as a gateway or a modem, and I'm wondering if someone provisioned it as a gateway which may or may not cause the error. Also, phone agents do not directly control firmware on modems, most of that is automatic, and most agents don't know how it works (or really care because they can't control it). OP, where is your account located?

e: I would go into the support forums on here and see if an agent can access the account and see how the modem is provisioned - Either as a gateway or an actual modem, I'm curious now.

An SB6141 is just a bridge modem, why would it be provisioned as a modem/router? It's not like the modem is not an approved modem that TWC doesn't know about. Why would it be sent the wrong config file?

Fleeced

Because of the way the billing system works. I don't think it matters, but I've never actually really looked into the issue, and really don't have a way to look into it without examples.

bluepoint

Can you please expand more on why could this have happened because of billing? Like what you said, it should not matter. Why would there be a configuration mistake? Or is it intentional?

Fleeced

I don't know, it's a barely a forming theory right now.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to hobgoblin
Here in Rochester, I purchased and activated a 6141 modem (from eBay) and am not encountering any problems. In fact, I don't even see a login page.

The valid URLs I can access from my 6141 control panel:

»192.168.100.1/index.htm
»192.168.100.1/cmSignal.htm
»192.168.100.1/cmAddress.htm
»192.168.100.1/cmConfig.htm
»192.168.100.1/cmLogs.htm
»192.168.100.1/cmOpenSource.htm
»192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 7.0
Firmware Build Time: Aug 18 2011 10:27:53
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

Fleeced

Okay, my barely formed theory was debunked. Billing doesn't have any affect, the docsis backend should pull the modem's model and issue the correct firmware, so no front line people can directly affect the modem.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

Rochester, NY
This is almost certainly a configuration file issue. Since we now know TWC is capable of sending a correct config file with activation, perhaps the next step would be to see if TWC can remove the modem on your account, try re-entering it, and seeing if they can push out another config file for the correct modem.

I have rebooted my modem a few times, so TWC is probably still pushing a correct file, at least to me.

The Mac address alone did not seem to be enough for TWC to activate my modem. I had to provide Manufacturer and model number to the person who activated me.

Could this be an issue if some of the other modems were previously activated on another cable provider (without buyer knowledge)? I am not sure if what TWC pushes out throws out any earlier configuration (or perhaps even firmware).

The first time my modem was activated, all of the lights on the front were out for nearly 30 seconds. I am not sure if this is indicative of something more than a config file push.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

bluepoint

reply to Dampier
In Rochester, have they implemented the $4 modem rental?

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

Rochester, NY
said by bluepoint:

In Rochester, have they implemented the $4 modem rental?

Starts 11/1, despite the fact the only notification local customers have gotten so far has come from the newspaper.

bluepoint

Let's see if your config file change by then. The OP is from NYC I believe.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

Rochester, NY
said by bluepoint:

Let's see if your config file change by then. The OP is from NYC I believe.

I can't see this as a billing issue. Why would the billing system discriminate against a config file? As far as TWC is concerned, the billing system shows the modem on your account and a code that differentiates customer-owned from leased equipment. That code tells billing when to charge and when not to charge. I don't see a technical reason why this would ever result in different configuration files.

I have since forgotten whether other readers are reporting this or just the one. If it is just this person, I would suspect a "previously enjoyed" modem with a firmware version from another cable system that doesn't want people in the config -or- even more likely, a misfired config file intended for a different modem or a technical fault with how the config file was implemented.

There is a button in the config panel that will reset all defaults, but that is of course little help to someone who can't get there without a password. What interests me is the guidance attached to the use of the button:

---

Note:
Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior initializations. The process to get back online from a factory default condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes. Please reference the cable modem User Guide for details on the power up sequence.

---

5 to 30 minutes? Wow. It's annoying Motorola does not have a hardware way of doing this to bypass any existing config.

--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

bluepoint

1 edit
It's not what I'm thinking. Looking at your firmware, it's not from TW. Watch it when TWC push a new firmware.

ajsfuxor

join:2012-10-14
Hi guys,

Good news - it has been FIXED! You should no longer have this problem, TWC have updated my modem with the proper provision file.

I now have full access to the config manager

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
Good to here, thank you for the follow up.

Hob

gkloepfer
Premium
join:2012-07-21
Austin, TX

1 edit
reply to ajsfuxor
(apologies .. I posted this without realizing there was already a solution -- didn't see the 3 pages of replies.... I can't delete my post, so I'm just going to leave it and hope I don't get anyone too upset...)

Has anyone with this problem tried going directly to the signal URL:

192.168.100.1/cmSignal.htm
or
192.168.100.1/cmSignalData.htm

Interestingly, I can go to the webLoginData.htm page on my modem and get that password prompt, but like you I can't enter anything to make it happy. Thankfully that didn't do anything bad, like put me into the same loop some of you are stuck in.

I was looking at the javascript that the page loads and there's a few other pages: legalData.htm (prints copyringht information), and webLogout.htm (I don't want to try this one).

Also, upon examination, it looks like you may be able to force a reset to factory defaults if you can write a small piece of HTML that will submit an input form value "Reset All Defaults" to a variable named BUTTON_INPUT1 to target page cmConfigData.htm. This may or may not require the password.

If you're already locked-out, one of these ideas may get you back in business again. I wouldn't mess with any of this if your modem is working properly.

It would actually be nice to know if there are some hidden pages with some more detailed signal information. My firmware prints the signal levels as integer values (no fraction of a dB), and I have a suspicion it doesn't show negative numbers either. That's my only complaint about this modem so far - it seems to be working well otherwise.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
Do you own your own modem?

Hob♠