uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to Fleeced

Re: SB6141 Can't access modem config manager

This is almost certainly a configuration file issue. Since we now know TWC is capable of sending a correct config file with activation, perhaps the next step would be to see if TWC can remove the modem on your account, try re-entering it, and seeing if they can push out another config file for the correct modem.

I have rebooted my modem a few times, so TWC is probably still pushing a correct file, at least to me.

The Mac address alone did not seem to be enough for TWC to activate my modem. I had to provide Manufacturer and model number to the person who activated me.

Could this be an issue if some of the other modems were previously activated on another cable provider (without buyer knowledge)? I am not sure if what TWC pushes out throws out any earlier configuration (or perhaps even firmware).

The first time my modem was activated, all of the lights on the front were out for nearly 30 seconds. I am not sure if this is indicative of something more than a config file push.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to Dampier

In Rochester, have they implemented the $4 modem rental?

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

Rochester, NY

said by bluepoint:

In Rochester, have they implemented the $4 modem rental?

Starts 11/1, despite the fact the only notification local customers have gotten so far has come from the newspaper.

bluepoint

Let's see if your config file change by then. The OP is from NYC I believe.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

Rochester, NY

said by bluepoint:

Let's see if your config file change by then. The OP is from NYC I believe.

I can't see this as a billing issue. Why would the billing system discriminate against a config file? As far as TWC is concerned, the billing system shows the modem on your account and a code that differentiates customer-owned from leased equipment. That code tells billing when to charge and when not to charge. I don't see a technical reason why this would ever result in different configuration files.

I have since forgotten whether other readers are reporting this or just the one. If it is just this person, I would suspect a "previously enjoyed" modem with a firmware version from another cable system that doesn't want people in the config -or- even more likely, a misfired config file intended for a different modem or a technical fault with how the config file was implemented.

There is a button in the config panel that will reset all defaults, but that is of course little help to someone who can't get there without a password. What interests me is the guidance attached to the use of the button:

---

Note:
Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior initializations. The process to get back online from a factory default condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes. Please reference the cable modem User Guide for details on the power up sequence.

---

5 to 30 minutes? Wow. It's annoying Motorola does not have a hardware way of doing this to bypass any existing config.

--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

bluepoint

1 edit

It's not what I'm thinking. Looking at your firmware, it's not from TW. Watch it when TWC push a new firmware.

ajsfuxor

join:2012-10-14

Hi guys,

Good news - it has been FIXED! You should no longer have this problem, TWC have updated my modem with the proper provision file.

I now have full access to the config manager

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

Good to here, thank you for the follow up.

Hob

gkloepfer
Premium
join:2012-07-21
Austin, TX

1 edit
reply to ajsfuxor

(apologies .. I posted this without realizing there was already a solution -- didn't see the 3 pages of replies.... I can't delete my post, so I'm just going to leave it and hope I don't get anyone too upset...)

Has anyone with this problem tried going directly to the signal URL:

192.168.100.1/cmSignal.htm
or
192.168.100.1/cmSignalData.htm

Interestingly, I can go to the webLoginData.htm page on my modem and get that password prompt, but like you I can't enter anything to make it happy. Thankfully that didn't do anything bad, like put me into the same loop some of you are stuck in.

I was looking at the javascript that the page loads and there's a few other pages: legalData.htm (prints copyringht information), and webLogout.htm (I don't want to try this one).

Also, upon examination, it looks like you may be able to force a reset to factory defaults if you can write a small piece of HTML that will submit an input form value "Reset All Defaults" to a variable named BUTTON_INPUT1 to target page cmConfigData.htm. This may or may not require the password.

If you're already locked-out, one of these ideas may get you back in business again. I wouldn't mess with any of this if your modem is working properly.

It would actually be nice to know if there are some hidden pages with some more detailed signal information. My firmware prints the signal levels as integer values (no fraction of a dB), and I have a suspicion it doesn't show negative numbers either. That's my only complaint about this modem so far - it seems to be working well otherwise.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

Do you own your own modem?

Hob♠

gkloepfer
Premium
join:2012-07-21
Austin, TX

Hob: Yes, I do. I got it up and running about a week and a half ago here in Austin, TX. It was a painless process here - I wish others' experience went as smoothly as mine did.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

Good to hear, Unfortunately the 100,000's of positive experiences dont get posted on here, just the negative ones which unfortunately sometimes happen.

The issue the OP reported was a billing system issue.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

adrman
Premium
join:2007-08-23
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to ajsfuxor

Did TWC notify you or did you just have the update pushed? I'm still locked out of mine, but will try a power cycle later and see if it updates. (currently listening to internet radio with my morning caffeine).

Update-Tried a power cycle and no dice. I'll give L3 a call in a few days after Sandy has had a chance to clear out.

JayKl

join:2012-10-28

Can you please give me the telephone number for TW L3 support.
Lower level support is poorly trained and cannot address the problem.
I am having a similar problem with dropouts after installing an Sb 6141.
I can access the configuration menu including an error log that lists multiple entries that I cannot properly interpret.
Time Warner claims they cannot access my 6141 remotely which is strange since the unit works properly in between dropouts.

adrman
Premium
New York, NY

Sorry, I've been out of touch for a bit. Phone is 866-506-0218. Also, just a general update. After being minus service since Monday night, a corrected provisioning file was not pushed when I powered back up this am. I'm still locked out of the config. Once things stabilize around here, I'll be getting in touch with L3 again.

fekix

@tmodns.net
reply to JayKl

866-506-0218 level3?

adrman
Premium
New York, NY

Yes that's the # for L3.

As an update to all else concerned, I spoke with L3 this am. The fix is in testing stage and will be pushed once it's verified as good. I've now been included in the test group and will have it pushed sometime today. Also, the agent I spoke with was aware of this thread.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to hobgoblin

I'll send you a beer if you can get them to activate my SBG900. They said I need the SBG901 to be "supported"

I don't need support I just need it working

fekix

@rr.com

Mine is now fixed.I had this problem as others were posting: Cannot access the Motorola configuration manager page, so last Saturday, I gave level 3 a call and after he tried and couldn't fix it, he forwarded my issue to Timewarner engineers and said I ll get a call from them in a few days.

Today, I received that call, and TWC have updated my modem with the proper provision file. I can now access the configuration manager page.
However, my modem upstream status led is still green,(non bonding channel) I was hopping the new file would change the upstream led status to blue (bonding channel).

The tech said upstream channel is non-bonding for now in NY area until the near future, while previous Timewarner techs have said otherwise.My subscription speed :30/5. This speed has been constant with this sb6141 modem until today after the new provision file was pushed, my upstream is now less than 4 after several speed test, my downstream speed is fine.

Non-bonding upstream channel not available in New York?
I'm very glad though that Timewarner is doing something about it,'soon everyone with this issue will have a fix' he said.

Yann

@rr.com

I can confirm it is fixed here, too (NYC UES). After hours spent on the phone struggling with a condescending guy explaining to me that TWC can not change anything because, dumb ass, this is your own modem and we don't have access...

Disgusting...

adrman
Premium
New York, NY

My update was pushed yesterday and the issue is resolved. In this case I'll commend TWC L3 support for listening to the complaints and getting a solution out in a timely manner.

toothrot

@clearwire-wmx.net

I can confirm that TWC in NYC pushes down a super wacky config to this device that locks down most of the modem. No way to disable DHCP or do real port forwards. I'll try calling them like the OP did, wish me luck!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by toothrot :

I can confirm that TWC in NYC pushes down a super wacky config to this device that locks down most of the modem. No way to disable DHCP or do real port forwards. I'll try calling them like the OP did, wish me luck!

The 6141 doesn't do DHCP when online and doesn't do any NAT/PAT so the is no port forwarding to configure. It's a simple bridge not a router.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.