All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AndyZ
@verizon.net

AndyZ

Anon

[connectivity] DSL randomly drops out for a second at a time.

Starting about a week ago, my DSL connection almost instantaneously drops out then comes back, making the red X appear and disappear on the network tray icon. It only happens maybe once every hour or so and wouldn't usually be a big deal, but when playing certain online games it's enough to kick me off the game and is very irritating. The only thing connected to the modem is my computer, via a cable.

Thanks for any help.

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang

Re: [connectivity] DSL randomly drops out for a second at a time

never seen this before, but have an idea what might be causing it. if you could post up the line stats from your modem, i could look for any issues there.

assuming you have a standard westell modem, the url will be »192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

without looking at the stats, my guess would be a momentary loss of sync, and a resync at a different speed, likley due to line issues (or something thinking there is an issue).
AndyZ4
join:2012-10-15

AndyZ4

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 832
Margin (dB) 23.6 11.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 29.6 17.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 7.3 11.9
Expand your moderator at work
valgaav
join:2011-06-07

valgaav to AndyZ

to AndyZ

Re: [connectivity] DSL randomly drops out for a second at a time

I believe red X on the network icon only happens when you disconnect the ethernet cable, set an incompatible NIC speed(1gbit on a 10/100 router) or you have a bad cable. Try with a different ethernet cable because your modem losing sync should not cause a red X, that would be a yellow mark which means there are connection problems(that's what I get when my modem loses sync for a few secs).

Demonfang
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang to AndyZ4

to AndyZ4
looking at those stats, i don't think you have a line issue with your dsl. in fact, your line is in great shape if you ever wanted a speed upgrade, 15Mbps should be doable on it.

as valgaav suggests, i'd say you have a network cable issue. try checking to make sure the ethernet cable is properly latched at both ends, if it is, replace it with another one. another possibility is a failing nic in either the computer or the modem, but this is very unlikley.
AndyZ4

AndyZ4

Alright I'll pick up another cable and see what happens.

You say 15Mbps should be doable.. Would I call Verizon and ask if that's possible? And would that be something I'd likely pay more for? Cause I know they upgraded me from 1.5Mbps to 3Mbps at no charge but that was initiated on their end.

Demonfang
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang

yeah, just call verizon, and head to the orders department.
as for paying more, depends on when you got the 3Mbps upgrade. if you got it since they switched to having their 2 plan system (one plan for 1Mbps and under, and another that covers 1.1-15Mbps) then it should be the same price as what you're paying now.

using verizon's online thingy, it shows up as $50 a month for 1.1-15Mbps. note that while your line can handle it, doesn't mean it is actually available in your area.

rollinraver
join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

rollinraver to AndyZ

to AndyZ
On ADSL1, synch rates are 3360/864. Your 832 upload synch rate implies a complete connection is not being made, and may indicate small trouble on your line. Granted, most people don't use the upload side much, it still should synch at full rate. Your intermittent reconnects could well be from errors received by the dslam which in turns "reconnects" your line.

Depending on your connection, straight POTS vs SLC vs remote dslam overlay, DSL can get finicky even with the TEENIEST of errors.

Demonfang
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang

said by rollinraver:

On ADSL1, synch rates are 3360/864. Your 832 upload synch rate implies a complete connection is not being made

agreed, it is not a complete connection, however, it is actually rather common for dsl to end up at 830-840 of 864 (mine comes to rest at 839, eventhough there is plenty of margin to make it go higher), it's a weird issue. that said, upstream margin could be a little higher, but based on the power level, there's room for it to adjust, but due to the odd ways in which verizon's equipment work, it likely won't (max for power level is 19.2dBm).

as for the reconnects, a connection that falls out of sync would cause an ! on the tray icon, not an X. the red x suggests that there is an issue with the ethernet connection dropping out completely between computer and modem (as if ethernet cable were unplugged momentarily), unless the modem turns off it's ethernet port while re-syncing, which seems like a silly thing to do.

that said, to the op, when it drops out, does the dsl light on the modem change from being solid to blinking (or going off momentarily, or something else...)?
AndyZ4

AndyZ4 to AndyZ

to AndyZ
Well I got a new ethernet cable yesterday and I believe the problem was as simple as that, though visually the connectors on the old cable looked good as new. Line stats do still show 832 up, so I guess that's normal for my line. And when it was occurring, the dsl light stayed solid throughout.

So far so good with a new cable, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the help guys.

Demonfang
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang

glad to hear everything is working good for you now