share rss forum feed

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
reply to Cartel

Re: [WIN7] Computer feels sluggish after KB2731847 & KB2724197

Wow I didn't even notice the 2 KB2731847 updates.

Should I remove the V1 update and see if it tries to install them both again??

Good catch Kerodo

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

I went through a lot of hassle getting SP1 onto the Win 7 Pro 64-bit laptop that had not received it. This is the laptop I mentioned in the earlier post. I discovered the reason via a KB article and was able to update the video driver from the Toshiba site. Then the SP1 update failed multiple times, so I ended up downloading the stand alone installer, which worked. However, I did notice after that that the system was slower to boot, and along the way, I removed those updates KB2731847 and KB2724197 and it came up faster. Based on that, I hid the two when they were offered again by MS update. I then removed the same updates from two other systems (desktops) and they both seemed to respond a little faster with most applications. So, I have altered my feelings about these updates having a noticeable effect on systems.

Windows update will offer these two again because they are critical according to MS. I am willing to take the chance concerning the potential threat, but others may not be.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

When I read them it said "important" not critical and a attacker must have local access to the computer to do the attack, not remote access.

KB2731847 & KB2724197

........if an attacker logs on to the system and runs a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit this vulnerability.

This security update is rated Important for all supported releases of Microsoft Windows.
--
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Zalman 9700NT G.Skill F3-10666CL7-4GBXH 16GB Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 HT Omega Claro Plus Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ADSL 6Mbps APC Back UPS XS1000

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

said by Cartel:

When I read them it said "important" not critical and a attacker must have local access to the computer to do the attack, not remote access.

KB2731847 & KB2724197

........if an attacker logs on to the system and runs a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit this vulnerability.

This security update is rated Important for all supported releases of Microsoft Windows.

You are right. They did _not_ say critical. The updates are still offered unless hidden, but then again, even optional updates are offered unless hidden. I usually accept "important" updates, but these two seem to have been unnecessary for the systems on which they were installed, and performance also seems better without them. People working there always complain when the software seem sluggish, so anything that helps that is good.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

I installed the KB2724197 update on three of my systems and it appears, at least with the limited testing that I've done, that the KB2724197 update isn't the one to blame. By process of elimination, it appears it may be that KB2731847 is the one to blame.

Can someone do some testing for me? I'm in contact with a Microsoft representative that's escalating this issue. More information is going to be helpful in narrowing down what exact update is causing this issue.

Any updates?

Microsoft gonna fix this or should I disable Windows along with the sidebar?
--
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Zalman 9700NT G.Skill F3-10666CL7-4GBXH 16GB Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 HT Omega Claro Plus Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 ADSL 6Mbps APC Back UPS XS1000

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC

1 edit
reply to trparky

Any more info ?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

No, I haven't heard from Microsoft yet.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

btw it sounds like the update is a security related one

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2731847···ignin1.0

so hopefully its fixed at some point.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by DarkLogix:

btw it sounds like the update is a security related one

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2731847···ignin1.0

so hopefully its fixed at some point.

Indeed, it's security-related... but exploitation requires physical access and successful log-on to a system: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS12-055
quote:
The vulnerability could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logs on to the system and runs a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit this vulnerability. ...
For those of us with computers in essentially secure locations (which would include most homes and SOHO's), performance side-effects of this patch outweigh any security risks associated with it.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Cartel

said by trparky:

I've installed KB2724197 on two of my computers and left off KB2731847 since I've talked to that Microsoft technician. So far, after the two machines have been online overnight, there seems to be no issues but more testing needs to be done.

I got rid of KB2724197 again, something about it doesn't feel right.

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
reply to Cartel

I hid the KB2731847 update and now it disappeared...maybe MS pulled it?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to Cartel

FWIW, I installed both these updates on 10/9. Have noticed no issues with the machine since then. Asus G72GX laptop, Windows 7 64bit.

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

said by La Luna:

FWIW, I installed both these updates on 10/9. Have noticed no issues with the machine since then. Asus G72GX laptop, Windows 7 64bit.

I guess there are a few versions...still in the dark on this one.

Published: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 | Updated: Wednesday, October 10, 2012th and see the diff

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
reply to Cartel

KB2761226 in MS12-075 replaced by KB2779030, KB2731847 in MS12-055 replaced by KB2761226, KB2718523 in MS12-047 replaced by KB2731847

Good luck figuring this out now.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Is this somehow relative to this topic?

»CurrPorts wont show 4 established connections

Are you going somewhere with all this?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC

2 edits
reply to Cartel

said by trparky:

No, I haven't heard from Microsoft yet.

any news from Microsoft?

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to norwegian

said by norwegian:

Is this somehow relative to this topic?

»CurrPorts wont show 4 established connections

Are you going somewhere with all this?

the ports has nothing to do with this topic, no.

see here: » Active Sessions / Internet Connections

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
reply to Cartel

»RANT: Why bother hiding a MS update?

The bullshit continues.