I think I'm on High Speed Extreme (V2)

mdub6

join:2008-10-28
Canada

Re: [BC] seems like really slow speed but support says super fas

said by jumas:

[att=1]

I think I'm on High Speed Extreme (V2)

Support said that was a fast connection? I hope thats not what Telus would officially call good or fast.

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
No kidding and I think High Speed Extreme (V2) is a grandfathered service. What kind of modem do you have?

jumas

join:2006-03-12
Castlegar, BC
here isa an updated speed test

I am using a st516v6 speedtouch standalone modem wired on 1 comper and into the wall

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC
reply to jumas
So what is the actual speed you pay for? 3 or 6? Does it slow down only during the evening or all day long?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to jumas
London Ont here. you possibly have a problem with your lines. A 61ms ping is not good. your connection is grade: F+. your ping should be below 20ms. your line grade should be A or B. This is what you should be looking to resolve. Try this: »ping-test.net/ or »www.pingtest.net/ to get a second line analysis. If the ping remains high you need to check your home connections/lines first, retest, then call your tech support for an exterior line check if the problem persists.

Mike_C

Vancouver, BC
@elitefx - There was a specific reason I asked the questions in my last post. If you actually bothered to find out where that user is located (if the town on his profile is accurate), and the equipment located between there and the nearest major city, you wouldn't be assuming anything regarding the connection related to ping or speed. Some of those very remote areas are lucky to have anything more than dialup.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
the customer opp noted "Extreme"
Which means they're on a 6.0 profile

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to Mike_C
said by Mike_C:

If you actually bothered to find out ....... you wouldn't be assuming anything .....

Nobody was ASSUMING anything Bud. Your uninformed derisive opinions are of no help to anyone. We don't need your permission to post our thoughts on this site...........

Mike_C

Vancouver, BC
Actually you were assuming that his ping should be under 20ms. And who said anything about permission? You need to understand that when a user is in the center of the mountains in a very remote community, there will be limitations on what is available and the type and age of equipment that will be in that area. On top of that the main line from that community won't be going in a straight line to the nearest major city. It has a lot of stops on the way. The interior of BC for a number of communities has issues during peak times where speeds hit the floor.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
reply to jumas
those speeds and ping suck.
What OS?

Tech support says thats ok? LOL

tm

@telus.com
When performing Speedtest, you need to take several factors into consideration.

Is your computer relatively modern and up-to-date? There is a difference between running Speedtest.net on Firefox 4 on Windows XP on a Pentium 4 machine with 1G of RAM vs the result on Firefox 16 on Windows 7 with 4G RAM and quadcore CPU.

Further, where do you live? Any particular reason why you are using that server for test results?

Mike_C

Vancouver, BC
If he is in Castlegar, he is in the middle of nowhere. That area has some very old equipment on it and definitely no direct path to Vancouver or Calgary let alone the rest of the internet. The remote areas are quite low on Telus' priority list of towns / equipment to upgrade due to the high cost and tiny subscriber base that would take years to even break even on the cost to upgrade. In some cases for these remote areas, those speeds and pings are normal.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
the ping could be better but not unreasonable...
the speeds however are not normal

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
If he's stuck on the DMT2 hardware, they're exactly normal unless they've finally corrected the severe slow down issues they have been experiencing for a couple years for DMT2 hardware in the interior, especially the stuff routed through Kamloops.