Premium Member

to robertf390_t

Re: [HD] Cartoon Network HD Ch 757

Not in my area yet

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1

The channel was added Tuesday on VH07 and gives a "You are not subscribed to:" Screen. There is no channel logo or name.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I see it now
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to JayMan 007

to JayMan 007
said by JayMan 007:

No 757 Toon in VHO9

It was up in VHO9a as of this morning -- I could tune to it, no guide info, etc.

webcobbler
@verizon.net

webcobbler to icemannyr1

Anon

to icemannyr1
It is on the Guide now, as well a Guide Data in VHO 7. However, when I tune to it, it says that I am not Subscribed to Cartoon Network, and Press OK to Subscribe. And when I am on ch. 257, there is no "Press C to Watch in HD" option.

Maybe it will up and running on Friday, if this is any indication of the channel's progress. Just my opinion.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

All up and running here in Allendale
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to webcobbler

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler :

It is on the Guide now, as well a Guide Data in VHO 7. However, when I tune to it, it says that I am not Subscribed to Cartoon Network, and Press OK to Subscribe. And when I am on ch. 257, there is no "Press C to Watch in HD" option.

Maybe it will up and running on Friday, if this is any indication of the channel's progress. Just my opinion.

Try restarting your STB. If that doesn't work, try an autocorrection.

webcobbler
@verizon.net

webcobbler to WK2

Anon

to WK2
Just appeared here as well. But the "Press C for HD" option is still not there on the SD channel yet. Hopefully it will appear soon
webcobbler

webcobbler to PJL

Anon

to PJL
Thanks. I tried that and nothing. But thanks for the suggestion. Also I just noticed that the 757 HD channel says it is SD and does not have the HD logo, or the HD icon on the Guide itself, and when tuned to it , it doesn't not say HD next to the channels and Time in the Mini Guide...etc.

Maybe this will be ironed out in time over the next day, or possibly two. In My Hopeful Opinion.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium Member
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE

ggma1126 to robertf390_t

Premium Member

to robertf390_t
live here in vho 8 - listed in guide also
Rexxriot
join:2004-05-29
Danvers, MA

Rexxriot to robertf390_t

to robertf390_t
I see it in the guide, I just can't get to it.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Mines in guide
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76 to robertf390_t

to robertf390_t
Cartoon Network HD is on 711 MHz (QAM channel 110).

There should be room for several new MPEG-2 HD channel additions because transitioning to 3:1 statmuxed QAM carriers has begun again (it started in the summer of 2011). Comcast has used the 3 to 1 HD MPEG-2 QAM-256 channel loading since 2006 to increase HD channel count. Hopefully the 20 most popular cable channels (USA, TBS, TNT, ESPN, etc.) will remain 2 to 1 statmuxed for sometime on Fios. Initially Verizon will only use MPEG-4 encoding for ultra niche HD channels such as MLB, NBA, NHL, and foreign language packages. This will extend the life of the QIP 6000 series boxes, which decode MPEG-2 only.

And for videophiles with 90 inch displays, Ultra HD is arriving soon with four times the resolution of standard HD. How will providers find the bandwidth for Ultra HD? A more efficient successor to MPEG-4 is arriving soon.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Betamax76:

Cartoon Network HD is on 711 MHz (QAM channel 110).

There should be room for several new MPEG-2 HD channel additions because transitioning to 3:1 statmuxed QAM carriers has begun again (it started in the summer of 2011). Comcast has used the 3 to 1 HD MPEG-2 QAM-256 channel loading since 2006 to increase HD channel count. Hopefully the 20 most popular cable channels (USA, TBS, TNT, ESPN, etc.) will remain 2 to 1 statmuxed for sometime on Fios. Initially Verizon will only use MPEG-4 encoding for ultra niche HD channels such as MLB, NBA, NHL, and foreign language packages. This will extend the life of the QIP 6000 series boxes, which decode MPEG-2 only.

And for videophiles with 90 inch displays, Ultra HD is arriving soon with four times the resolution of standard HD. How will providers find the bandwidth for Ultra HD? A more efficient successor to MPEG-4 is arriving soon.

what QAMs are 3:1 on verizon right now? Could you post them?
Betamax76
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76

Virtually all of the 24 HBO and Cinemax HD channels, the 6 .TV Byron Allen HD channels, QVC HD, Hallmark Movie Channel HD, MAV TV HD, and about 6 others are statmuxed 3:1. Of the 130 national HD English CABLE channels on Fios, about 40 are now loaded 3 to 1 in MPEG-2.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to nycdave

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

Gradual launch over the next 2 weeks....

Bah...

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Betamax76

to Betamax76
said by Betamax76:

Virtually all of the 24 HBO and Cinemax HD channels, the 6 .TV Byron Allen HD channels, QVC HD, Hallmark Movie Channel HD, MAV TV HD, and about 6 others are statmuxed 3:1. Of the 130 national HD English CABLE channels on Fios, about 40 are now loaded 3 to 1 in MPEG-2.

is cartoon network a on a QAM by itself. And are there any other QAMs that are open thanks to the 3:1 QAM change?

This could be big for Verizon were talking about possibly 20 QAMs opening up for HD!

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to robertf390_t

Premium Member

to robertf390_t
I see it's live here in VHO4 now. Unfortunately it's another MPEG2 channel instead of H.264 like it should be to save space.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to Betamax76

to Betamax76
So if they're using 3:1 now on QAM space now does that mean they have to compress any signals?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to McBane

MVM

to McBane
said by McBane:

said by nycdave:

Gradual launch over the next 2 weeks....

Bah...

It's live in VHO1.

steven34
@verizon.net

steven34 to aaronwt

Anon

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

I see it's live here in VHO4 now. Unfortunately it's another MPEG2 channel instead of H.264 like it should be to save space.

u wont see any popular channels like cartoon hd in mpeg4 anytime soon. for time being it will be niche channels like mlb extra innings or dot tv crap.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

Can you imagine the number of angry people with other then 7XXX series STBs if they had used MPEG4 for the Cartoon Network? I have to agree with steven34.
Betamax76
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76 to McBane

to McBane
Verizon is definitely compressing signals in the 3 to 1 statmux transition. It started with provider delivered MPEG-4 channels such as HBO and Cinemax. These had to be re-encoded anyway for MPEG-2 delivery on the Fios network and were only being sent at a bitrate of 6 MB/sec in MPEG-4 (roughly 12 MB/sec in MPEG-2). But recently, channels which originate in MPEG-2 from the provider, such as Epix2 HD, have been converted to 3:1 channel loading. If Epix2 originates from the provider as 18 MB/sec, the best Verizon can do with 3:1 statmuxing is 13 MB/sec using MPEG-2 encoding. Most people with HDTVs smaller than 50 inches simply won't notice the difference. Customers with TV sets 80 inches and above probably will object more. Even with 3:1 channel loading, Verizon's picture quality will be much better than ATT's U-Verse IPTV delivery system. Fios picture quality will be on par with Comcast and Time Warner, who have been using 3:1 MPEG-2 statmuxing for 5 years.

Currently about 40 of the 130 national HD English cable channels are loaded 3 to 1 on Fios. If another 60 make the transition, this will open up another 10 QAM slots, providing up to 30 additional MPEG-2 HDTV channels. Hopefully the 25 most popular cable networks will remain 2 to 1 MPEG-2 channel loading for sometime.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to robertf390_t

to robertf390_t
1. Great information Betamax!
2. I thought Verizon tested this kind of scenario a couple years ago in Texas and the PQ was a mess?
3. I've said this before but I simply never had a problem with Comcast's HD PQ while I had them. I saw little difference, and we had a 42" Plasma at the time (50" now). I felt the FIOS SD PQ was clearly a huge upgrade over Comcast, but I am down to one SDTV now, and it's only 27" via component wires. I usually don't bother with SD channels.

wizziwig
@verizon.net

wizziwig to robertf390_t

Anon

to robertf390_t
I wonder how long before they start converting all 1920x1080 channels to 1280x1080 like some of the other providers. That's usually the next step along the path to sacrificing picture quality in order to cram in more channels. Really sad to see this happen as FIOS was the only national provider left that passed their channels to the viewer without re-compression (ignoring H.264 native channels). Now they will be charging a premium price for TV service quality you can get elsewhere for less. So much for their advanced fiber network...

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by wizziwig :

I wonder how long before they start converting all 1920x1080 channels to 1280x1080 like some of the other providers. That's usually the next step along the path to sacrificing picture quality in order to cram in more channels. Really sad to see this happen as FIOS was the only national provider left that passed their channels to the viewer without re-compression (ignoring H.264 native channels). Now they will be charging a premium price for TV service quality you can get elsewhere for less. So much for their advanced fiber network...

luckily the motorola cable boxes do not support 1280x1080i. Also Verizon would be converting to MPEG4 well before that would even be considered.

I would think Verizon could add MPEG2 HD channels for now and in the future start converting the Premium HD multiplexes to MPEG4 one at time over period of time like a year so to allow for verizon to give out all of the boxes needed to do this.

The premium channels going MPEG4 would be the best bet and they could compress them to 5:1 to a QAM or 6:1 to a QAM as I have heard that the premium multiplexes are sending out 6Mbps so that they can be repackaged into 3:1 QAMs after transcoding.

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to robertf390_t

to robertf390_t
Been waiting for CN HD, it's about time Verizon!

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to robertf390_t

to robertf390_t
On in VHO1, even with Prime package.
damink23
join:2002-08-19
Marlborough, MA

damink23 to robertf390_t

to robertf390_t
Still only shows in guide. Not live in vho6 on the tv.

wizziwig
@verizon.net

wizziwig to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
Well, here in VHO3 at least, all the channels I actually care about (maybe 7 at best) are still sent 2 per QAM channel. In fact, the majority of other popular channels which were not already MPEG4 conversions, also appear as 2 per QAM. Let's hope it stays that way.

FIOS should be about best-possible-picture-quality, not quantity. If anyone wants lots of over-compressed, pixelated, HD channels, they are free to switch to cable/satellite.

Best way to free up space without sacrificing picture is to upgrade everyone to MPEG4 capable STB's and pass native MPEG4 channels as 3+ per QAM instead of converting them to MPEG2.