Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

steven34

@verizon.net
reply to aaronwt

Re: [HD] Cartoon Network HD Ch 757

said by aaronwt:

I see it's live here in VHO4 now. Unfortunately it's another MPEG2 channel instead of H.264 like it should be to save space.

u wont see any popular channels like cartoon hd in mpeg4 anytime soon. for time being it will be niche channels like mlb extra innings or dot tv crap.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

I see it's live here in VHO4 now. Unfortunately it's another MPEG2 channel instead of H.264 like it should be to save space.

Can you imagine the number of angry people with other then 7XXX series STBs if they had used MPEG4 for the Cartoon Network? I have to agree with steven34.

Betamax76

join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA
reply to McBane
Verizon is definitely compressing signals in the 3 to 1 statmux transition. It started with provider delivered MPEG-4 channels such as HBO and Cinemax. These had to be re-encoded anyway for MPEG-2 delivery on the Fios network and were only being sent at a bitrate of 6 MB/sec in MPEG-4 (roughly 12 MB/sec in MPEG-2). But recently, channels which originate in MPEG-2 from the provider, such as Epix2 HD, have been converted to 3:1 channel loading. If Epix2 originates from the provider as 18 MB/sec, the best Verizon can do with 3:1 statmuxing is 13 MB/sec using MPEG-2 encoding. Most people with HDTVs smaller than 50 inches simply won't notice the difference. Customers with TV sets 80 inches and above probably will object more. Even with 3:1 channel loading, Verizon's picture quality will be much better than ATT's U-Verse IPTV delivery system. Fios picture quality will be on par with Comcast and Time Warner, who have been using 3:1 MPEG-2 statmuxing for 5 years.

Currently about 40 of the 130 national HD English cable channels are loaded 3 to 1 on Fios. If another 60 make the transition, this will open up another 10 QAM slots, providing up to 30 additional MPEG-2 HDTV channels. Hopefully the 25 most popular cable networks will remain 2 to 1 MPEG-2 channel loading for sometime.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to robertf390_t
1. Great information Betamax!
2. I thought Verizon tested this kind of scenario a couple years ago in Texas and the PQ was a mess?
3. I've said this before but I simply never had a problem with Comcast's HD PQ while I had them. I saw little difference, and we had a 42" Plasma at the time (50" now). I felt the FIOS SD PQ was clearly a huge upgrade over Comcast, but I am down to one SDTV now, and it's only 27" via component wires. I usually don't bother with SD channels.

wizziwig

@verizon.net
reply to robertf390_t
I wonder how long before they start converting all 1920x1080 channels to 1280x1080 like some of the other providers. That's usually the next step along the path to sacrificing picture quality in order to cram in more channels. Really sad to see this happen as FIOS was the only national provider left that passed their channels to the viewer without re-compression (ignoring H.264 native channels). Now they will be charging a premium price for TV service quality you can get elsewhere for less. So much for their advanced fiber network...

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
said by wizziwig :

I wonder how long before they start converting all 1920x1080 channels to 1280x1080 like some of the other providers. That's usually the next step along the path to sacrificing picture quality in order to cram in more channels. Really sad to see this happen as FIOS was the only national provider left that passed their channels to the viewer without re-compression (ignoring H.264 native channels). Now they will be charging a premium price for TV service quality you can get elsewhere for less. So much for their advanced fiber network...

luckily the motorola cable boxes do not support 1280x1080i. Also Verizon would be converting to MPEG4 well before that would even be considered.

I would think Verizon could add MPEG2 HD channels for now and in the future start converting the Premium HD multiplexes to MPEG4 one at time over period of time like a year so to allow for verizon to give out all of the boxes needed to do this.

The premium channels going MPEG4 would be the best bet and they could compress them to 5:1 to a QAM or 6:1 to a QAM as I have heard that the premium multiplexes are sending out 6Mbps so that they can be repackaged into 3:1 QAMs after transcoding.

SoCalDude

join:2008-07-30
Ventura Co.
reply to robertf390_t
Been waiting for CN HD, it's about time Verizon!

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to robertf390_t
On in VHO1, even with Prime package.

damink23

join:2002-08-19
reply to robertf390_t
Still only shows in guide. Not live in vho6 on the tv.

wizziwig

@verizon.net
reply to motorola870
Well, here in VHO3 at least, all the channels I actually care about (maybe 7 at best) are still sent 2 per QAM channel. In fact, the majority of other popular channels which were not already MPEG4 conversions, also appear as 2 per QAM. Let's hope it stays that way.

FIOS should be about best-possible-picture-quality, not quantity. If anyone wants lots of over-compressed, pixelated, HD channels, they are free to switch to cable/satellite.

Best way to free up space without sacrificing picture is to upgrade everyone to MPEG4 capable STB's and pass native MPEG4 channels as 3+ per QAM instead of converting them to MPEG2.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by wizziwig :

Best way to free up space without sacrificing picture is to upgrade everyone to MPEG4 capable STB's and pass native MPEG4 channels as 3+ per QAM instead of converting them to MPEG2.

Agreed. Unfortunately, VZ is trying to have their cake and eat it too.

VZ is pricing their product at a premium because they think they have a better product, but they don't want to spend the money to replace the older 6xxx and 2500 boxes. It's also not clear that they have a solution for the DCT-700s.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Rexxriot

join:2004-05-29
Danvers, MA
reply to robertf390_t
So is VHO6 the only one who doesn't have this channel yet?

dmon4u

join:2006-03-15
Hummelstown, PA

CRTN 757

VHO14 Guide Info is up Today but channel says Not Subscribed.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to robertf390_t

Re: [HD] Cartoon Network HD Ch 757

I wonder what's taking Zap2it so long to add the channel to its guide listings...

FYI: Zap2it, owned by Tribune Media Services, is the guide data provider for popular 3rd party DVRs such as TiVo and Windows Media Center.

rantanamo

join:2012-10-23
Garland, TX
Zap2It is always last for some reason. Even if you write in, their auto message says they may not see your message. I think it took me a month of messages last time, before they acknowledged my message, then changed the channel the next update. But last time with BBCA, they were right on time. Weird.

damink23

join:2002-08-19
reply to robertf390_t
Now live in vho6.

rantanamo

Garland, TX
reply to robertf390_t
Zap2It confirmed they got my mail and added it, so at your next guide update, it should apparently show up for Tivo, Media Center and others who get Zap2It guide info.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
said by rantanamo:

Zap2It confirmed they got my mail and added it,

Yes, Your email made zap2it (which Verizon pays to provide guide data) make them add it to the guide....

celticpride

@verizon.net
YUP! cartoon network channe 757 is now in my tivo guide. And i was able to set up a recording of looney tunes at 3 a.m.!

rantanamo

Garland, TX
reply to bohratom
said by bohratom:

said by rantanamo:

Zap2It confirmed they got my mail and added it,

Yes, Your email made zap2it (which Verizon pays to provide guide data) make them add it to the guide....

quote:
Dear Zap2it user,
Thank you for your email.
We see that the lineup discrepancy you noted below is now corrected on the site.
We do apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for being a Zap2it user.
If you should have any other questions, please be sure to reference our Help page at:
»www.zap2it.com/services/site/hel···tmlstory

Regards,
The Zap2it Customer Feedback Team
It wasn't there before I emailed them. It showed up right after they sent me this. There have been times they've waited weeks and even months until I pointed out changes to them. You laugh, but the thing is, if they don't catch a change and no one notifies them of the change, they simply won't change it. Have seen it time and time again, so I started writing in and they respond.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
reply to robertf390_t
The Cartoon HD logo is now correct in the guide (VHO7) but there is not one show indicated as HD yet.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
said by nascar:

The Cartoon HD logo is now correct in the guide (VHO7) but there is not one show indicated as HD yet.

Correct, still no HD designation and the new NBA channels don't show it either. What's going on with the people that code these things? I guess since we don't get many HD's they forgot how to do it.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to bohratom
said by bohratom:

zap2it (which Verizon pays to provide guide data)

VZ's data provider is FYI, not Zap2it.
»fyitelevision.com/

If VZ used Zap2it, we'd have better quality guide data.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

rantanamo

Garland, TX
correct. Zap2It does provide Tivo and Media Center guide data though.

tsskiller

join:2005-07-24
Bronx, NY
reply to robertf390_t
EPG for CNHD is live on my Tivo Premiere in VH05.

celticpride

@verizon.net
verizon needs to correct the guide this morning guide shows looney tunes but the channel is showing cowardly dog. I think what has happened is we have the east coast guide in southern california! and we have the pacific west coast cartoon network signal! so we cant set up any recordings in our guide!!

webobbler

@verizon.net
reply to nascar
Nor can I record a show, put the HD channel into favorites, and also the 257 channel does not indicate that that : "Press C for HD" option as of yet. In VHO 7

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
said by webobbler :

Nor can I record a show, put the HD channel into favorites, and also the 257 channel does not indicate that that : "Press C for HD" option as of yet. In VHO 7

Yup, after two weeks it's still not fixed

ab4bd

join:2008-01-24
Venice, FL
reply to robertf390_t
It made the news.
»www.sacbee.com/2012/10/25/493768···and.html

But it's not in the guide yet here in south west Florida.

George

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by ab4bd:

It made the news.
»www.sacbee.com/2012/10/25/493768···and.html

But it's not in the guide yet here in south west Florida.

George

Wait.... what?? It's actually two networks?? Cartoon Network and Adult Swim??? Cartoon network from 6AM to 9PM and Adult Swim from 9PM to 6AM.