Search similar:

uniqs
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to jonboy

to jonboy

Re: Goodbye Clear Qam Channels - FCC ruling

Dropping Clear QAM would indeed suck, and while it may be possible to get the same channels OTA, in some areas, that isn't a option without a high powered antenna.
PsychoSy
join:2001-01-15
Monroe, MI

1 recommendation

PsychoSy to jonboy

to jonboy
Rays: It's really going to suck for Charter to be able to do a service call from the head end without having to send a tech guy out. I much rather have to wait all day for a guy to come out and then get charged $40 or more for the privilege.
It's gonna suck worse for those techs. In all honesty, if I was cable tech, I'd let the thieves, the poor, and the elderly still using their old school TVs for basic cable (because either they can't afford an HDTV or they aren't stupid enough to plunk down $200 for an LCD HDTV with a 1 yr warrant that'll puke within 8 months due to junk capacitors from Taiwan on the invertor) get their grove on while blowing all kinds of smoke and mirrors up my superiors posterior -- up to and including cooking the books (Suuuurrrrre, I installed that filter *snark*) ...

Why?

Self-interest.

The very fact that they are eventually going to encrypt everything so that older CRT based SDTVs will need an STB, and that service calls can be done at the head end literally means my job (and the jobs of my supervisors) are on borrowed time. Much like self-scan checkout lanes did to cashiers. Much like postal carriers once all the utility companies drop snail mail for email. Much like police, soldiers, and firefighters once drone technology matures enough to justify the dehumanization and automation of their respective trades. Their days are numbered, too.

Oh, and do those Charter vans service themselves?!? Who changes the oil, replaces the spark plugs, and turns the wrenches?!? If you don't need a physical human being with a clipboard, utility belt, and Charter ball cap hanging backwards on their noggins, you certainly won't be needing mechanics servicing all the wear and tear they're putting on those vans, either.

So what exactly would I, my fellow human colleagues, and human supervisors get for "corporate loyalty" (i.e. being a narc)?!? It won't extend our employment from being outsourced to a computer by one hour let alone one day. The writing is on the wall. Finding a new line of work is a given. So it be in my immediate self-interest -- especially in this wretched economy -- to artificially extend my employment as much as possible by embracing my inner Yousarrian (for all you Catch 22 fans reading) and keep "moving the bombing line over Balogna" as much as possible ...

It's not like cable providers are against nickle and diming people to death. They just want to be the ones operating the Skinner box as opposed to being on the "business end" of it. Besides that percentage figure of customers effected is already a bogus and cooked figure six ways from Sunday. If they're willing to LIE out their ship-sinking gobs about real bandwidth usage to justify caps and/or bolting a meter to the side of the subscribers' spider hole, they're certainly willing to LIE about the real number of people who'll be effected by bow-to-stern encryption. Especially if it means less wails and whines emanating from your fainting couch since it doesn't effect your ivory tower ...

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Right on, PsychoSy!!
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

@PsychoSy:

That post is one of the most insightful and hilarious I've found around BBR in a long time. Nice!

You should anon e mail this to Charter Corporate.

Even that dolt Tommy Boy Rutledge would probably crack an evil grin.
rd1144
join:2009-02-26
Denver, NC

rd1144 to jonboy

to jonboy
It would be nice if TV manufactures started including cablecard slots again on televisions. They used to do this in the Mid-2000's on hdtv's and stopped because it didnt catch on. It would also be cool if a tuning adapter and EPG could be integrated into televisions too. I dont think it would be that hard. Even if it did have more of a upfront cost for the television, I would be all for one less box.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

Agreed.....LESS SET TOP BOXES IS BETTER!
PsychoSy
Monroe, MI

PsychoSy to 15444104

to 15444104
I wouldn't waste my bandwidth. For one, Charter corporate (all cable companies for that matter) has been probably told this already over the years by the ever coalition of the laid off. In the very unlikely chance what I said in my post was never roared back at 'em by one of the laid off, they certainly lurk these boards. In short, they'd have to be living under GEICO's rock to feign ignorance.

Rutledge would certainly crack a grin ... but I don't think it would be evil. More of a "Canary Ate The Cat" Cheshire grin of Schadenfraude more than anything. If there's any person who knows he's just a muppet for the shareholders, it's Rutledge. And if there's anyone that is kept awake at night or having brief issues with insomnia over the biggest threat to all cable/satellite providers, it's Rutledge. Especially if his golden parachute isn't quite golden ...

Because there's a certain Aussie that's far more scarier than all the great unwashed that might be stealing basic cable just to have a night-light (for their sake, I hope it ain't "Pawn Stars" or "American Pickers" - those shows will make anyone sleep with one eye open and "pay" a heavy price for it). He's the type of guy that not only could start the OTA multicasting riot, but get away with it: Rupert Murdoch.

Hence the "Canary Ate The Cat" grin on Rutledge ...

He's not the CEO of Comcast nor TWC ...

And I bet he has no intention of being on Charter's payroll when Murdoch embraces his inner Dick Cheney, and pumps a slug of multicasting 00-buck right in their faces. I certainly wouldn't - there's an ice cold Mojito on a beach in Trinidad with my name on it ... ripcord, don't fail me now!
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99

said by PsychoSy:

a muppet for the shareholders

Like it or not, that is pretty much the job of a CEO.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to PsychoSy

to PsychoSy
said by PsychoSy:

Because there's a certain Aussie that's far more scarier than all the great unwashed. He's the type of guy that not only could start the OTA multicasting riot, but get away with it: Rupert Murdoch.

What does this mean? I pray Murdoch isn't going to acquire any more power or influence in this country than he already has.
PsychoSy
Monroe, MI

PsychoSy

Murdoch (or anyone, for that matter) couldn't possibly acquire more power or influence in this country ... unless they have rewarding enablers who -- when it comes to regulation and oversight -- have a good 30 to 40 year track record demonstrating their capacity to have more waffle than an IHOP ...

Without further ado ... let's meet 'em!

*waves*

Howyadoin' there, Hockacrats?!?

Let's be honest: Murdoch could use ALOT of PR Rehab right about now. And what better people to provide such PR Rehab than the very fence jockeys whose main man in the White House spent his entire first term Socializing their entire existence with bailouts, immunity deals, lack of prosecution, no frog-marching, and ordering us to moovsie and forwardsie just like they did the first time around with Tricky Dick Nixon?!?

It's a big "bipartisan" and "pragmatic" con of kabuki theatre; they all in on it.

The WWE's creative team couldn't have booked it better ...

Considering every time you turn on a TV and see ads about a disruption of channel carriage, more often than not it's Murdoch trying to nickle and dime them by taking hostages. That speaks volumes: the biggest threat to cable isn't freeloaders nor techs that won't narc 'em out; it's other rich elites taking turns eating their own. That's a given once bow to stern encryption is commonplace and the most mundane of service calls can be performed at the head end. Then the game begins in earnest. Without Main Street's thieves, all you got is Wall Street's thieves (and their purchased Beltway Bagmen) ...
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

PsychoSy hits the mark again!

Great observations PsychoSy.

Yep, it doesn't matter which party you are talking about, they are BOTH cut from the same criminal cloth.

Our Government is controlled by a collection of BIpartisan criminals who only care about their own self interests and NOTHING of the people they are SUPPOSED to be serving, "We The People".
onfire
join:2003-03-28

onfire to jonboy

to jonboy

Re: Goodbye Clear Qam Channels - FCC ruling

Will this actually be implemented? If so, why haven't I heard anything from Charter via snail mail or TV ad?

I have 2 CRT TVs (one HDTV w/HD box) that have expanded basic that are used everyday, but I will not pay Charter extra money for a box just to watch standard definition on a CRT. So is this actually going into effect in the next month or two?

Or
@charter.com

Or

Anon

Depends where you live, a lot of areas that have apartment buildings are being done first and then individual homes after. You should get a letter at least 1 month ahead of time letting you know if the area you live in goes all digital and even then, those areas are getting free DCTs for a year on top of it.
krudl3r
join:2005-06-29
Eau Claire, WI

krudl3r to nonamesleft

to nonamesleft
Yeah, this really stinks for a bedroom tv that you don't have room for a box... thanks Charter.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by krudl3r:

Yeah, this really stinks for a bedroom tv that you don't have room for a box... thanks Charter.

Thanks for what? I haven't heard they are getting rid of clear QAM channels yet.
krudl3r
Eau Claire, WI

krudl3r

They just told me that today... in a couple of months is what I was told.

As posted above, this may be market specific. The rep I spoke to was from WI, as I.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by krudl3r:

They just told me that today... in a couple of months is what I was told.

As posted above, this may be market specific. The rep I spoke to was from WI, as I.

What specifically did they say? I know in some areas they are all digital and they will everywhere eventually. But only those that were on analog expanded basic tier need a box and it's not even a regular box is a DTA Not much larger than a roku.
krudl3r
Eau Claire, WI

krudl3r

It was just a brief part of a larger discussion about cancelling the TV portion of my service. I specifically mentioned the FCC ruling and asked if Charter plans to encrypt clear qam and the response was "yes, starting in about two months". I didn't press for details as, while it will affect my service after discontinuing [paying for] TV service, it does not affect the decision (that is strictly based on the cost going from 90 to 135).