RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

Who has DirecTV?

I have a dilemma that I've been trying to solve for many many months....

I have lived in my residence since March 2011 and have always had BHN. I've never in my life had DirecTV, however the previous tenants apparently did. To this day, I still get a monthly bill for them. I started opening it so I can call them to have them fix whatever in their system. They obviously do not have this service at this address. There is still a dish on top of the house, but the wires coming inside goes to nothing. I call every month and they say they will fix it but i still get a bill. Last month the guy told me "if you see them tell them about it" WTF???

One thing I did notice is that they are paying it automatically. How are you auto-paying a bill for service you don't have?

Anyway, does anyone know if a direct/good contact for me to reach out to to solve this problem? I get enough junk mail, I dont need to get anybody elses mail here too
--
| map your city |

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
Have you ever tried to sending the mail back to DirecTV?

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to pcdebb
"How are you auto-paying a bill for service you don't have?"

How do you know they didn't move their service to their new location?
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX
reply to pcdebb
They could be using your address to get programming that might not be available at their current address.

As long as the bill didn't have my name on it, and DTV wasn't expecting me to pay it, I would disregard it completely. Tell your mail man that they don't live there and to please quit leaving their mail. Unless it says "or current resident" too, of course. Then he/she will leave it any way.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to pcdebb
I'd just start writing 'Not at this address' on the unopened envelopes and sticking them back in the mailbox. Or just pitch them without a second thought.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
reply to pcdebb
Call DirecTV and cancel the service.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to pcdebb
FWIW we have a DirecTV dish mounted next to our house too, which we bought in 2009. We got a bill and called them; told them those people moved and asked them to come get their dish. They declined to get the dish but never sent us another bill.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

because it says "service at my address"

I never catch my mailman, but I've called directv to at least let them know the deal, but they seem unconcerned. At this point (and I never thought of this, duh) to just goto my post office in person and tell them to send all mail back. I get other mail for them too. Some attorney in Ohio, I mean, are they still using the address or what? I need to monitor that....
--
| map your city |

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by pcdebb:

said by battleop:

because it says "service at my address"

I never catch my mailman, but I've called directv to at least let them know the deal, but they seem unconcerned. At this point (and I never thought of this, duh) to just goto my post office in person and tell them to send all mail back. I get other mail for them too. Some attorney in Ohio, I mean, are they still using the address or what? I need to monitor that....

Just put the flag back up and mark return to sender on the front of the envelope, repeat as needed.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to tcg
said by tcg:

They could be using your address to get programming that might not be available at their current address.

I think we have a winner. If the original owners moved somewhere outside of the local coverage area but still wanted to receive the local channels and regional networks, then it's a perfect reason to not change the billing address.

If they moved locally, then they're still receiving the same exact package - they may not even realize the address is still outdated.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
said by Thinkdiff:

said by tcg:

I think we have a winner. If the original owners moved somewhere outside of the local coverage area but still wanted to receive the local channels and regional networks, then it's a perfect reason to not change the billing address.

If they moved locally, then they're still receiving the same exact package - they may not even realize the address is still outdated.

Yep - I did that for about 9 months when I moved away for my job. Did not want to miss out on my local sports teams, so kept the address. When the dude came out to do the install, he advised he sees it happen a lot.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to pcdebb

Agreed. As long as their receiver's connected to a dish somewhere, and the bill is paid, the service will continue to work. If there was already a connection in their new home, they may just never have bothered to call and change the address.

If you called DirecTV to let them know, you've done your part. If your name is not on the bill there's nothing to worry about, just toss em in the trash.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.