spc
uniqs
Joecap
join:2012-10-15
North York, ON

Joecap to H2535

to H2535

Re: [DSL] Home phone

I had a difficult time with Teksavvy with their phone service. My email confirmation advised to me to be at home available for the technician to come inside to address internal wiring issues.

So, I waited the whole day on October 10, 2012 and nobody knocked on my door or rang the door bell. I had no dial on any of 4 phones in the house. However, with a cell phone I was able to call the assigned number which just rang and rang.

I called Teksavvy numerous times that evening without reaching anybody. The next day I finally reached somebody and was told to go test the jack on the outside Bell box since it appeared that Bell had done their outside work. They told me that Bell does not enter anybody's house to check any internal wiring which contradicts their own email confirmation. They advised me to get an electrician to address internal wiring which cost additional money and time.

So, I cancelled them instead and went back to Rogers instead of waiting who knows how long and how costly it would be to finally get their phone service working in my house. They told me they would not refund any money paid which include the 1st month of service because as they put it, the service was reaching my house.

I got no phone service whatsoever and they want to keep my money anyway. What a ripoff for an incomplete setup!

By contrast a work colleague got the Home phone service installed by Techsavvy and Bell technician entered his house and spent an hour fixing his wiring. That is so inconsistent!!

TSI Keith
Premium Member
join:2012-07-09

TSI Keith

Premium Member

Hello,

I apologize for the difficulty you had starting service with us. Did you pursue opening a trouble ticket with us first to ensure that there was nothing wrong with the external connection?

I'm sorry that you felt certain a tech would come out and fix any internal issues. Bell does not always dispatch to the home on a phone activation and what they may or may not do when they do dispatch depends on what the tech sees when he gets there. Or email confirmation does not promise a tech to come out, what it states is as follows:

"Please try to be present on your activation date as a technician may be required during your line activation.

Please Note: If during your installation a technician finds that internal wiring is necessary to enable your service and you authorize the repair, a $110 fee may apply."

As well when your order was placed you would have also had to agree to our terms and conditions which state:

"For all new registrations, the first month’s charge and/or activation fees are non-refundable. A refund will only be given to accounts that cannot receive service. Delays in activation due to improper information provided by you the customer, home wiring, central office or telephone line problems, or anything of the like do NOT qualify as non-serviceable events. TekSavvy must be allotted the opportunity to complete it’s troubleshoot before a refund/credit will be issued.

TekSavvy or any of its agents or third party providers are only responsible to bring/provide service to the locations demarcation point. Under no circumstance or condition are any of the above responsible for any inside wiring, internal repairs or equipment."

I am not trying to give you a hard time here, but we have no way of knowing ahead of time if there is a problem with the wiring in your home, nor can we guarantee a tech visit (unless you pay the $110 ahead of time and order a jack install).

Did you ever test the jack in the Bell box to confirm if the service was there?

Regards,
Keith
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean to Joecap

to Joecap
said by Joecap:

So, I cancelled them instead and went back to Rogers instead of waiting who knows how long and how costly it would be to finally get their phone service working in my house. They told me they would not refund any money paid which include the 1st month of service because as they put it, the service was reaching my house.

Since 2010, Rogers home phone service is all based on VoIP (even though they claim their service is NOT VoIP). For this to work, they install an ATA that feeds your internal phone lines directly, which requires the Bell line to be disconnected (even if there is no service on it).

If your home phone from Rogers was installed after mid-2010 or you got it converted, your internal wiring has been disconnected from the demarcation point.

You'll need to either re-connect the line yourself or, if you prefer, pay for the repair. It's a 30-second job BTW.