how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Martho

join:2011-12-03

2 edits

Considering switching to the 3G/4G hotspot plan

Recently I have been having problems with my sprint in my area(see the "only able to load things in google domain" thread) and it turns out I get verizon 4G. My current sprint setup is a sierra 598, a TS9 adapter, a 3 foot FME to N cable, and a parabolic grid antenna. How much money would I be able to get from selling my setup? Also does anyone know what speed millenicom throttles people to if they go over the limit?

The mifi device they provide also only allows up to 5 devices to connect at once. I have a total of 9 devices that connect to the internet and some of the things on my LAN are wired so I would probably want the internet to go though my mbr-1000. If anyone knows an easy way to do this that would be nice.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
The MiFi 4620L that Millenicom ships can connect up to 10 devices. The MBR1000 you have will not recognize it. You'd need a newer Cradlepoint router that does.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Martho

reply to Martho
Well looking at prices the 4620L costs more than $100 when bought plain so I will probably just put the sim card in a normal modem and sell the hotspot.

Martho

reply to Martho
Would I be able to test my signal with a modem that has no service? On the Verizon coverage maps I am on the edge of the red extended 4G, though I am clearly inside of it. However, when I put in my address on millenicom it says no on 4G. I contacted them about it and they said I might get 4G but there is nothing they can do if I don't. Since I plan on using the service with a pantech UML290 purchased off of ebay could I just buy that first then see if I get 4G before ordering the service from millenicom?

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
sure, you can do that. Millenicom does give you a small window that you can return their device if it does not work out.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

spkay

join:2005-11-10
Princeton, MA
reply to Martho
You can also invite a friend with a Verizon 4G phone to come over to your place and see if he can get a decent 4G connection. Chances are good if his phone gets a good signal the hotspot or 4G modem will too.

Martho

reply to Martho
I got the UML290 in the mail today. Unfortunately it will not give me a signal reading without a SIM card. I tried it in my MBR and on the computer with the Verizon access manager. The only indication I have of signal is that the light on the modem flashes blue.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
you ordered the 4620L as well?

Martho

reply to Martho
Not yet. I was going to set up a router with DD-WRT so I could monitor data and wait for some other stuff to arrive first. I am rather glad I waited because today the PRL on my sierria 598 was updated and it has been working fine for 5 hours now. 4G speeds would be AMAZING, but good speeds are no use if I can't use them due to a data cap. I will probably start monitoring my data on the sprint plan and if it turns out we can stay under 20Gigs with no problems I will switch.