spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nitin12826
join:2012-10-15
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC

nitin12826

Youmano cable internet shutting down in Quebec

I received a mail from youmano which notifies me that my cable internet connection is going to be suspended from current month.
I got my connection recently activated by paying $163.21 from Sept onwards. This includes activation fee + modem fee + shipping fee + 1st month charges(+ taxes).

Now as youmano decided to cancel the cable connections, apparently this means that I paid $163.21 for 1 month use of internet which is really bad for me.
Moreover, now when I switch to another cable operator(as I have cable modem), I have to pay atleast $50-60 + taxes again for activation.

How this is justifiable?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

There's probably something in consumer protection law that covers this... Maybe try asking them for a partial refund? Doubtful that you'll get it.

This is a really shady thing for them to do because they're still advertising it on their website.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to nitin12826

Premium Member

to nitin12826
Aren't they a reseller of a wholesaler like TekSavvy or EBox?

If so, it may be possible to continue as a customer of those, since the line is effectively arranged by them not Youmano...

You might be out some money but not the activation fee if this is the case...
Expand your moderator at work
pegcitynet
join:2009-09-02

pegcitynet to nitin12826

to nitin12826

Re: Youmano cable internet shutting down in Quebec

It's not justifiable. Check your private message, you're French I'm guessing, if not I'll repeat it in English.

There's some actions that you can take in Québec when faced with this type of situation that are extrajudiciary but protect your rights.

eboxnat1
join:2011-05-06
Montreal, QC

eboxnat1 to nitin12826

to nitin12826
Youmano clients cannot switch for free (to any provider). I heare a few people calling over the past few days saying about credits/free activations but that is NOT the case.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

Nat,
What exactly is the cost to switch from them to you? It's really only a matter of having the Modem MAC re-assigned, no? Or it it more involved?

Thanks

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

This is public info you can find on the CRTC website in the tariff section. We get charged:

22.10$ is the tariff for a transfer
83.10$ is the tariff for a new install

merged together we charge 50$ for the average.

Mind you we get much more new install than transfer.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

So does Youmano resell EBox?

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by HiVolt:

So does Youmano resell EBox?

Good question.

Over in the empty youmano forum I just noticed that Montreal-DSL (a teksavvy reseller) is telling people to move to them, but they aren't stating if there is a fee and instead saying transfer to us.

»Youmano vcable transfer

Would be kind of sad if they are telling people to go to them then people find out there are fee's.

This & fee's should be out in the open for the people.
hm

hm to diskace

Anon

to diskace
said by diskace:

This is public info you can find on the CRTC website in the tariff section. We get charged:

22.10$ is the tariff for a transfer
83.10$ is the tariff for a new install

merged together we charge 50$ for the average.

Mind you we get much more new install than transfer.

So ~22.50 for a transfer of account from one to the other (Videotron costs)

Plus You have costs on your end (again setting up a billing account, logging MAC, dishing out an Email ect)... this isn't free labour.

It's too bad you can't come up with some sort of special price to try and help these people switch to you....

Meanwhile they can file their complaint(s) to the Quebec Consumers Union, CCTS or Other. I mean, some are justified in filing a complaint as seen here in this topic, and the one in your forum, »Youmano cable internet shutting down in Quebec. But, Not everyone just joined so there will only be few complaints of this magnitude. And it sucks that they are telling people you and some other ISP will take them for free (this should be written in the complaint for those affected).

nitin1282, have the Email that you got from them that you can post for us?
carcajou
join:2012-10-16
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

carcajou to nitin12826

to nitin12826
Your post implies that they are closing their business. Are you sure that it is the case ?

I see that their website is active and they are signing new clients.

Or is it only in your neighborhood ?

Or is it that they cancelled based on some of the reasons in their contract at clause 22 ?

Is it a modem you bought or rented ? If it was a purchase, its price is not lost: you can still use it with your next cable internet supplier.