you sure?
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

yes, the gravity of this planet is a constant as well the gravity of mars, now with a certainty i can say said mass of this material is this many lbs on earth, not knowing what the gravity is on mars i can with a certainty that i will have to change the mass of that material to get it to equal the same weight as here, the thing that would not change the mass would be if gravity were the same and constant on both planets.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by cymraeg:

yes, the gravity of this planet is a constant as well the gravity of mars, now with a certainty i can say said mass of this material is this many lbs on earth, not knowing what the gravity is on mars i can with a certainty that i will have to change the mass of that material to get it to equal the same weight as here, the thing that would not change the mass would be if gravity were the same and constant on both planets.

Wrong LBS is weight not Mass

a given object wouldn't change in mass if moved from Earth to Mars but the g (acceleration due to gravity) would be different, even not knowing the exact g of Mars one would know its lower than the g of Earth.

So with W=mg if the mass of the object is the same but the g is lower then the weight will be lower.

So to achev 2200lbs on Mars would require a larger mass than it would on Earth.

And as lbs is a measure of WEIGHT not MASS.

StumpMan
Premium Member
join:2001-07-26
Clinton, NC

StumpMan to cymraeg

Premium Member

to cymraeg
That response was heavy, Cymraeg
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
that isnt what was posed, the ? posed was it 2200 lbs on earth or mars? with weight being a constant in the equation, then the variable of gravity and mass are in flux so we know what the gravity of mars is( im pretty sure) so the only thing that we can conclude is the mass much change in order to meet the 2200lbs of weight.

why are you caps ing weight and mass, i know the difference in the 2, i love it when people think that fat and muscle have different weights, takes me forever to explain the difference between mass and weight.
Jodokast
join:2012-05-10

Jodokast to Immer

to Immer
I hate, hate, HATE x-realm zones!

I have truely considered quitting and cancelling the game over it, I have even called Blizzard with my complaint and they told me this is how its going to be.

I have been griefed-trying to do pet battles, they attack me, by peeps from other servers, never someone from my own server, harrassed by trying to quest with my low level alts and 90's zipping around pretagging quest mobs or just plain ganking me

This has really tested my willingness to keep paying for something I hate, sometimes I wonder why am I paying Blizzard for a game that has taken out the fun of playing low levels or trying to do anything in a x-realm zone thats pvp

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to cymraeg

Premium Member

to cymraeg
ah... the question of where the lbs were being measured was posed to calculate the mass.

-a tonne of people QQ
-metric or 'merican?
-2200 lbs
-measured on earth or on mars?

the answer to the last question validates just how many people are involved in the QQ.

Because you "know" the mass, it is unchanging for you... but he's trying to guess the mass by knowing the reference point for the weight measurement.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

i was speaking in terms of weight not mass, 2200 lbs is a metric tonne or 1k kilos, perhaps thats where the confusion lies

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cymraeg

Premium Member

to cymraeg
said by cymraeg:

why are you caps ing weight and mass, i know the difference in the 2, i love it when people think that fat and muscle have different weights, takes me forever to explain the difference between mass and weight.

Now you're getting into density.

Muscle has greater density than fat, thus is more mass per cubic measurement than fat.

But if you're in zero g then your weight is zero but your mass isn't 9Just have some trouble measuring it because most measurements actually measure weight and then convert back to mass.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to cymraeg

Premium Member

to cymraeg
said by cymraeg:

i was speaking in terms of weight not mass, 2200 lbs is a metric tonne or 1k kilos, perhaps thats where the confusion lies

ah, there ya go. Kg measurement would have killed it. but then, we'd have missed out on all of this geekdom!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cymraeg

Premium Member

to cymraeg
said by cymraeg:

ah kg a measurement of mass as opposed to newtons a measurement of weight.

where as lbs is a measurement of weight not mass. so 1k kilo is only equal to 2200lbs on earth.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
its both, the density of muscle determines its mass at a specified weight same with fat.

muscle say has a density of .8 and fat .4 , so from this we can say 1 lb of both may have 3 grams of muscle and 15 grams of fat

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

There you go again mixing mass and weight.

Weight depends on g, mass doesn't.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

but the density of the 2 things determines its mass at a specified weight

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Density is how tight some mass is packed into a physical space.

Density is related to volume mass isn't. and nether is weight.

To get density in there how much mass does 1 liter of fat have?
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

multiply that volume times its density and you would have its mass, i dont follow what youre asking here.

and it would have to be cubic litre

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cymraeg

Premium Member

to cymraeg
said by cymraeg:

but the density of the 2 things determines its mass at a specified weight

Nope, only if the mass of the objects are tightly packed, yes abstractly fat is less dense than muscle but density doesn't make mass, its mass in a given volume that makes density.

If you have a given weight of an object and know the planet you're on then you just divide by 9.81 (for earth) for the mass.

so 1N of fat is 101g of fat. because 1Newton divided by 9.81 and converted from kilo makes it so.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

/popcorn

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cymraeg

Premium Member

to cymraeg
said by cymraeg:

multiply that volume times its density and you would have its mass, i dont follow what youre asking here.

and it would have to be cubic litre

a liter is a measure of volume so you don't have to put cubic.

cubic would be for if it were a cubic meter.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

hah litre, i meant metre, hands working faster than my brain again

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Answer this question (it'll take some research)

If have an object that weighs 2200N on Pluto and I bring it to Earth what's it weight on Earth?
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to cymraeg

Premium Member

to cymraeg
You've reminded my why I like physics class.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

haha you have me at a severe disadvantage, its been almost 20 yrs since university.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by cymraeg:

haha you have me at a severe disadvantage, its been almost 20 yrs since university.

Well I'm about to leave for the gym so I'm going to give away the answer.

if the object weights 2200N on Pluto it'll weight 37,210N on earth, and has a mass of 3793kg.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Answer this question (it'll take some research)

If have an object that weighs 2200N on Pluto and I bring it to Earth what's it weight on Earth?

about 31.5kN

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

if you use
»wiki.answers.com/Q/What_ ··· of_Pluto

.58m/s^2 for g(Pluto) and 9.81 for g(Earth)
then w=mg
so

2200/.58*9.81=37,210.34N
as the significant digits are only at most 2 decimal places its safe to drop the trail off there.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

well i guess it was about 7% that of earths or after getting the actual math from unexplainable things web site ill cite it later its 1/15 or .07 which number you choose to use is up to you, anyway pluto is 1/455 the size of earth and 1/5.5 the mass so 5.5 x 5.5/ 455= .07

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

dafukisdisshyt.jpg

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Wrong LBS is weight not Mass

a given object wouldn't change in mass if moved from Earth to Mars but the g (acceleration due to gravity) would be different, even not knowing the exact g of Mars one would know its lower than the g of Earth.

So with W=mg if the mass of the object is the same but the g is lower then the weight will be lower.

So to achev 2200lbs on Mars would require a larger mass than it would on Earth.

And as lbs is a measure of WEIGHT not MASS.

No. Pounds are mass. Pound-force is weight.

kg are like lb
N are like lbf

Another reason I hate our stupid system.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Go metric, its easier.