how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gordonwd

join:2002-02-06
Rochester, MI

Question about Bandwidth

As I study more about U-verse before (probably) ordering it, I have a question about the basic incoming connection. As far as I know, the copper wiring that leads up to my house and which was installed 30+ years ago was spec'd by Alexander Graham Bell and was intended for a single analog voice line and maybe a 300 baud modem .

So I am having trouble conceiving how this "legacy" wiring can carry all that U-verse traffic, including simultaneous multiple SD and HD TV channels, Internet traffic, and VOIP. I've been skeptical of its capability just for a DSL network link, but all this video too?

What are the signalling levels and rate that are used to meet these bandwidth requirements? And, yes, I'm familiar with data compression techniques, but also know the effects of lossy compression on audio/video data.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1

Since I don't have access to cable records (I retired a while ago), it is hard to tell exactly when your cable was placed and how far you are from the VRAD. So let me just say that the cable to my home was placed prior to 1979 and I am about .7 miles from the VRAD and I am on a 25meg down link from the VRAD.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to gordonwd

»www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm

gordonwd

Rochester, MI
reply to Austinloop

said by Austinloop:

Since I don't have access to cable records (I retired a while ago), it is hard to tell exactly when your cable was placed and how far you are from the VRAD. So let me just say that the cable to my home was placed prior to 1979 and I am about .7 miles from the VRAD and I am on a 25meg down link from the VRAD.

Impressive. I would guess that our cable (at least the run between the house and the nearest equipment box) is from that vintage. I'm also not sure where the VRAD is, but seeing as how I've been seeing AT&T trucks along the road outside our sub and we were just informed a few days ago that U-verse was now available to us, it may be pretty close.

gordonwd

Rochester, MI
reply to Forosnai

Looks like just what I was looking for. Thanks!