uniqs

grayDX
@rcn.com

1 edit

grayDX

Anon

[Speed] Really bad throughput in evening - Easton, PA

Encoded MAC: 09adc899f279a4049a64b4dceae84ef6540468c6

I didn't know where else to turn regarding this so I'm seeing if I may be able to receive assistance here.

I've been calling RCN tech support for weeks regarding speed issues in the evening. While I understand that bandwidth is shared amongst customers associated with the same node, I'm seeing very poor network performance (as slow as 5Mbps downstream on a 75Mbps account, upstream performance is fine).

Here is an album with two tests I took this evening. I left the encoded MAC on the one test but edited out the IP and modem MAC information from both screen captures.

I've had a tech come out and they, and someone on phone support, suggested I get a modem from RCN since they'll claim it's my modem and they cannot support my equipment. Even with their modem installed on site, I'm still seeing poor network performance.

I'm going to try and get support again since now, with their equipment, I'm experiencing the same problem but I don't know if there is anything another contractor coming on site could address.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

cut & paste of the encoded modem mac makes it easier for the techs, so I'll transpose it for you here

Encoded Mac: 09adc899f279a4049a64b4dceae84ef6540468c6

grayDX
@rcn.com

grayDX

Anon

The Encoded MAC was at the head of the original post in text.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

So it was.....gracious, my eyes must have been tired last night
Thanks for having added it in
wilsonmarc
join:2011-03-27
Easton, PA

wilsonmarc to grayDX

to grayDX
I am in Wilson, checked both RCN and Speedtest.net and I am getting around 8 to 12 download. I pay for 15! Used to be a solid 15 to 16 all the time. Sounds like a issue in the Easton area. I also have a docsis 3 modem.
mlabate
join:2007-09-03
Bangor, PA

mlabate

Same thing here - Wind Gap/Pen Argyl area and I am experiencing the same issues.

Calling RCN doesn't help because everything always "looks fine" when I call but they can never comment on why my speed is terrible.

Can anyone from RCN chime in on this?

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to wilsonmarc

Numquam oblita

to wilsonmarc
Can you guys add your encoded modem macs as well? Might be helpful for troubleshooting.
mlabate
Bangor, PA

1 recommendation

mlabate

Encoded Mac: 7910f3241b3b3e6efcd2e69c1f9243745daec1d7
wilsonmarc
Easton, PA

1 recommendation

wilsonmarc to grayDX

to grayDX
Tonight I am getting 12 to 13.Its ok,not really complaining but it was better before. I used to get 15 to 16 all the time.
Encoded Mac: cd5988b6d21500fe34ba638e54502fe69b3f7bd4
mlabate
Bangor, PA

mlabate to lilhurricane

to lilhurricane
Tonight I am getting 10, it's bad tonight.

grayDX
@rcn.com

grayDX to grayDX

Anon

to grayDX
I'm still seeing ~ 10-15Mbps average. I've called into RCN again and the rep mentioned that they'd open an 'advance case' since the initial troubleshooting steps didnt bear any fruit.
negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

1 recommendation

negativeduck

Premium Member

Gray, and Faai, FYI, dotting the I's and crossing T's on a final re-arrangement in your area. I'll be sending that over to the guys in PA in the next day or so. Just thought I would mention it.

grayDX
@rcn.com

grayDX

Anon

Thanks for the update.

I'll still follow-up on my trouble ticket tomorrow evening to see what the status of it is. Things are looking better than the 5-10Mbps I was seeing night in/night out. However, I'm still only seeing about 20-25Mbps in the evening.

I know there's no such thing as a consumer SLA for speed expectations, however, would expecting ~70% of the speed subscribed to be a reasonable expectation? During off-peak hours (i.e. early morning 6-8AM) speed provisions are 100% available.

Again, thank you for the heads-up with the behind the scene infrastructure stuff RCN is doing with it's network!
mlabate
Bangor, PA

mlabate to negativeduck

to negativeduck
Any update on this? I can't speak for grayDX but I know my connection hasn't improved yet. Either way, thank you for keeping us in the loop.
negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

1 recommendation

negativeduck

Premium Member

Was targeting for work next week but it's gonna depend on what happens with the storm if it cuts into PA that might delay things a bit.
negativeduck

1 recommendation

negativeduck

Premium Member

Just updating this, We all got slammed last week and are coming out of "crisis mode" and getting going again. That said tomorrow morning we've got the maintenance scheduled that should clean all this up.

Thanks guys!
mlabate
Bangor, PA

mlabate

Bryan - Just wanted to say thanks, things have been much better this past week, even during peak hours I am getting the speed I am paying for.

Thanks@
wilsonmarc
Easton, PA

wilsonmarc to grayDX

to grayDX
Yes, I am also getting much better speeds!
Thank you!