All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ZW_Joe
join:2005-10-08
San Anselmo, CA

ZW_Joe

[Rant] Can't have dry loop DSL? Where's the competition?

Wow. I'm certainly in a kerfuffle.

I basically have to pay ATT so I can order DSL service from someone else? I thought we busted up the bells because of crap like this? Where is the competition and open market?

Just got a $45 bill for the basic ATT DSL line I use mainly as extra bandwidth and back up and to our main cable connection. So started looking around at some smaller DSL providers that offer same speed but extra IPs (a good thing) for much lower prices at longer terms.
However, all say that I can't have a dry loop and I would have to order basic ATT phone service for them to offer me DSL. This is insane, people!

I understand that the little ISPs aren't maintaining the infrastructure, but having to order and pay for a full service of a product I won't use and don't need seems heavy handed.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Same sort of shit here in Canada.

The telcos are unhappy that the CRTC forces them to allow 3rd party ISPs to use their infrastructure.

Since they are not allowed to simply jack up the prices for access to their infrastructure, in order to try to discourage people from switching to 3rd party ISPs they have introduced band rates (extra fees for having a dry loop), insane activation charges (over $100 to activate a dry loop service), diagnostic fees and technician fees (in the event they deem the cause of the problem was not their fault).

Basically they are tacking on all these extra fees, so that a dry loop from a 3rd party ISP is only marginally cheaper at best, than getting service direct from the telco.
maubs
join:2010-02-26
Farmington, IL

maubs to ZW_Joe

to ZW_Joe
Exactly the same here in Illinois. Plus, AT&T only rates my line capable of half the speed I'm currently getting when I ask the competition for a quote. And no one at the competing service will question the number with AT&T. I'm stuck with the Death Star unless I don't want to use Netflix anymore. Ugh.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to ZW_Joe

Premium Member

to ZW_Joe
said by ZW_Joe:

However, all say that I can't have a dry loop and I would have to order basic ATT phone service for them to offer me DSL. This is insane, people!

That's an issue with the company you are reaching out to for service, not the ILEC (ATT in this case). -- its cheaper for the ISP to use an existing line rather than order a dry loop for the service. Try checking into the business plans. The typically cost more but they may have a dry loop option.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

1 recommendation

DC DSL to ZW_Joe

Premium Member

to ZW_Joe
I hate to tell you this but the BS the telcos and cablecos are getting away with are a direct result of so many consumers refusing to pay attention and beat-up on their elected officials over anti-consumer practices. There aren't enough of us who are vigilant and active to apply sufficient pressure. If you don't like the crap then agitate your neighbors and make your electeds reverse course and put rules that favor consumers back in place. The only thing that a politician fears more than offending his corporate patrons is a pissed off constituency that will vote him out no matter how much money he has.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to ZW_Joe

Premium Member

to ZW_Joe
I remember dry-loop DSL was allowed back in 2007 but that was the stipulation for SBC and AT&T merging. I think it was to last for a year, but I don't remember. It is unfortunate they don't offer it. When I had it in 2007 (before U-Verse), it was the best thing.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I still have my dry loop - I also pay thru the nose but....

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

I still have my dry loop - I also pay thru the nose but....

I was going to suggest to the OP about U-Verse. In fact, from what I've heard, the OP can cancel the TV part is still keep the Internet part without a landline.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

1 recommendation

Blogger to ZW_Joe

Premium Member

to ZW_Joe
DSL copper is as close to dead as it can get without actually being there yet. For people that don't have other options in the richest country in the world it is really pathetic and sad. I feel bad for them and share their outrage.