·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[CDV] Getting crosstalk on CDV

Click for full size
Signal levels

DOCSIS event log

PacketCable event log
Called my mother at home from my Verizon iPhone to my CDV phone, and I heard crosstalk (where I could hear other conversations on the line and my mother could hear them as well). Phone she was talking on was the corded wall phone in the kitchen. House is a duplex which is wired like a single family house out to the street (except there is two separate Comcast drops but VZ has a single drop for phone but each unit has its own pair and our lines are underground). CDV is connected to the phone wiring in the house (which has been physically disconnected from the telco wiring). This needs to be corrected as the burglar alarm is connected to the CDV loop and can possibly interfere with the alarm system.

Possible source could either be a malfunction on Comcast or could be an Amateur radio operator violating the terms of his FCC license. We tried calling the city code enforcement but to no avail (dont have jurisdiction). I am going to try to complain to the FCC but that will just fall on deaf ears.

I have been getting interference on my other electronics such as the downstairs TV (which is an older tube tv).

Has anyone else had cross talk on their CDV.

I am posting the signal levels.
Expand your moderator at work

SLC 96
join:2005-04-03
Chicago, IL

SLC 96 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: [CDV] Getting crosstalk on CDV

Sounds like an issue with the inside wiring. The phone wiring that is.

It could be quite possible that the other occupant was on the phone at the same time. This is a common issue in homes that were wired with quad wiring (no twists).

There are several ways to fix this. One way is to get new wiring. Another way is to plug the phone directly into the eMTA. A third way is to avoid talking on the phone at the same time as the other occupant.
Jeremy W
join:2010-01-21

Jeremy W to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Once it hits the modem, the signal is digital. The interference you're hearing has to be coming before the modem.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to SLC 96

Premium Member

to SLC 96
said by SLC 96:

Sounds like an issue with the inside wiring. The phone wiring that is.

It could be quite possible that the other occupant was on the phone at the same time. This is a common issue in homes that were wired with quad wiring (no twists).

There are several ways to fix this. One way is to get new wiring. Another way is to plug the phone directly into the eMTA. A third way is to avoid talking on the phone at the same time as the other occupant.

The other occupant of the building does not have a home phone so that is out of the equation. I am wondering if I rewired the house with Cat 5 wire if that would take care of any interference. The modem is wired back to the demarc using the Halloween pair because the dial tone has to pass through the RJ31X before it hits the house phones, which is wired using the Christmas pair. It is connected to a piece of Cat 5 going to the RJ31X with Scotchlocks.

The interference sounds like radio transmissions coming from an illegal Ham radio setup.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

ive seen AM signals picked up THROUGH the EMTA itself, radio tower was 400' from customer and they were in a metal building. go figure.

but yes this is an analog issue thus it has to due to with your phone wiring. I would see if you can isolate which line is picking up the signal, so you dont have to rewire the whole house.
bman212121
join:2005-06-09

bman212121 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Does it also happen when they call other people? I've heard other voices on cell to cell calls before. It's also possible that two phones might be on the same frequency but different towers causing some interference. (Or maybe one of 100 other places that call could be routed through)

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

mb6 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Might be coming from your mothers end of the connection.