Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to fifty nine

Re: I've gone and done it ... solar install

said by fifty nine:

We have good reason to believe that energy prices will go up as they say. Aging power plants, coal plants going offline, the rise of China and India to compete for fossil fuel, more energy consumption including electric cars, and the fed printing more and more money are reasons to believe that rates will dramatically rise.

If you're not preparing for serious rate hikes you're either ignorant of world conditions affecting the price of energy or you're old enough that you're going to die in a few years anyway and the price of energy in 20 years won't matter to you.

That's assuming we don't double down and get serious on nuclear. Then the fossil fuel argument goes out the window. And living near TMI, nuclear doesn't bother me in the least bit.

Also if the current administration gets kicked out in a month and sensible coal and energy policy come along we can get that capacity back. And by sensible energy policy I mean allowing coal and ensuring that what is mined here stays here.

And then there's the natural gas boom. Being in PA I'm familiar with it and we have tons of it available. Enough to keep prices low for a long time.

So yes energy rates may go up but if we are sensible with our energy policy it won't be the apocalypse people are thinking,

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

said by itguy05:

That's assuming we don't double down and get serious on nuclear. Then the fossil fuel argument goes out the window. And living near TMI, nuclear doesn't bother me in the least bit.

Where are you going to store the waste? Is everyone going to be OK with waste stored in their back yard?

Even before we get to that, are we going to approve permits to even build the darn things? Even with a new administration, they aren't going to dismantle the EPA and NRC overnight. That takes much more than just an act of Congress.

Also if the current administration gets kicked out in a month and sensible coal and energy policy come along we can get that capacity back. And by sensible energy policy I mean allowing coal and ensuring that what is mined here stays here.

Communism ensures what is mined here stays here. The free market ensures that it is sold for the most profit. China needs coal. India needs coal. Their needs aren't decreasing.

And then there's the natural gas boom. Being in PA I'm familiar with it and we have tons of it available. Enough to keep prices low for a long time.

So yes energy rates may go up but if we are sensible with our energy policy it won't be the apocalypse people are thinking,

If it's keeping energy prices low, why are rates rising?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by fifty nine:

Because of the EPA and Environmental Wacko's

That's why rates are rising and unless we get them under control will continue to do so.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

Even before we get to that, are we going to approve permits to even build the darn things? Even with a new administration, they aren't going to dismantle the EPA and NRC overnight. That takes much more than just an act of Congress.

But the right person can start the conversations and get the regulations changed. We need to do something and shuttering coal and nukes is not the answer.

quote:
Communism ensures what is mined here stays here. The free market ensures that it is sold for the most profit. China needs coal. India needs coal. Their needs aren't decreasing.
Nice try but that was part of Communism but Communism was more than that. It was the theory that the government owned everything, you worked and they gave you what they thought you needed.

I'm talking about our resources and keeping them here for the benefit of our people. If you think the world's oil is limited (it isn't necessarily - look up abiotic oil) it makes sense to keep what's in your ground for use by your citizens. It's just good sense.

Regulate it like a utility. We'll guarantee you a decent profit and you can pull our stuff out of the ground. In exchange all of it has to be used by our people. Or we get 90% and 10% goes to the world. China has no issues doing that with their Rare Earth minerals so why not us with our oil, coal, and natural gas reserves?

quote:

That would be a question for your utility. Our rates have been relatively stable here for a few years. Right under $.10/kWh.