Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to sholling

Re: Roku Streaming Player - Comments on a New Install

I got the LT version, so there's not slot for an SD card in that one, but I don't mind if I hit a favorites limit. It's still all new, so I've got a lot to search through.

It's definitely the way to go if you have Amazon Prime - so much better watching shows on the TV without the sound of a computer fan going.

I wanted to set up Plex, but every time I try to download the Windows server software from their website, I get a "can't find the server at cdn.plexapp.com" alert. Checking the download URL on the "Is It Down Right Now" site and says that the URL has been down for more than a week.

I was also looking into PlayOn, but I can't seem to get that working no matter what.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

What do you want to use Playon for?
Whatever extra they offer is now covered elsewhere. It does also ESPN3 streaming though.
Plex also gives an additional range of channels.

DownTheShore
Mr. Putin, meet SEAL Team 6
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

There seems to be more episodes of shows available on the PlayOn network channels than on the free Hulu versions of them. For example, the free Hulu channel has two episodes of House Hunters International (HGTV) while PlayOn has nine episodes. It also carries what looks like the full line-up of the HGTV shows while Hulu carries less. It carries the full CBS daytime, prime time and late night shows. For example, it has 27 shows listed in just its prime time folder; my cable company only has 14 shows in total for CBS and all of them only prime-time ones.

The reason why I was having problems with PlayOn was because I had connected the Roku to my wireless router using a guest SSID because I knew the password for that off the top of my head, while my laptop with the server software on it was connected wirelessly via my main SSID with the obscenely long password that I always have to look up. Once I used the same SSID for both, it worked.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.