O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to jonboy

Re: Goodbye Clear Qam Channels - FCC ruling

It's not a money grab until you encrypt basic cable channels and force everyone to STBs. Then, it's just an unnecessary hassle to allow the cc to rake in more cash.
I do agree that the cc is perfectly within their rights to ditch analog, since the same has happened OTA. There are much better uses for that bandwidth.
Being that I do not subscribe to cc TV service, I don't have a pony in the show. I use OTA, MythTV, and Roku for my TV viewing.
I would consider going back to cable if they would provide a "whole home" solution that does not require a STB on every TV. The technology is there, however at $5 a pop I'm sure they'll be in no big hurry to get rid of STBs.
It looks like HDHomerun may have a product that can almost achieve this if incorporated with MythTV.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by nunya:

I do agree that the cc is perfectly within their rights to ditch analog, since the same has happened OTA. There are much better uses for that bandwidth.

And when they ditch analog those with old fashioned analog TVs will need a DTA. There is no getting around that. And that was before this ruling. SO since those TV already need DTA this ruling has no effect on that since the DTA will decrypt the signal.

This ruling will effect a very small % of customers most of which have other sources for locals such as OTA.