KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger

Re: Amanda Todd, her bulliers etc and Anonymous

Until it becomes a crime. It will always continue. Even then. People will still do it since they are ignorant and a waste to society.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Link Logger

MVM

said by KoRnGtL15:

Until it becomes a crime. It will always continue. Even then. People will still do it since they are ignorant and a waste to society.

The weird part that is 'only on the internet' is there are people who get off on trolling and it attract hits and attention for them etc so it just cycles ever larger (think Howard Stern but on the internet). Sometimes I wonder if we should just declare this a failed experiment and yank the plug on the internet and move on.

Blake
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Link Logger:

Sometimes I wonder if we should just declare this a failed experiment and yank the plug on the internet and move on.

Blake

Oh, come on. You can't be that naive. That will never happen. We the people ceded any control over the internet when "we" (not me but most people) eagerly embraced Web 2. That is spelled SHEEPLE and they ruined the internet without a single thought as to what horrors they were allowing to come when they decided that ANON should be shunned and that all needed full name, address, family history, etc plastered all over the internet oblivious to what their greed would bring, You cannot have your cake and eat it also and folks never seem to learn this. Sigh.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

1 recommendation

KodiacZiller

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

said by Link Logger:

Sometimes I wonder if we should just declare this a failed experiment and yank the plug on the internet and move on.

Blake

Oh, come on. You can't be that naive. That will never happen. We the people ceded any control over the internet when "we" (not me but most people) eagerly embraced Web 2. That is spelled SHEEPLE and they ruined the internet without a single thought as to what horrors they were allowing to come when they decided that ANON should be shunned and that all needed full name, address, family history, etc plastered all over the internet oblivious to what their greed would bring, You cannot have your cake and eat it also and folks never seem to learn this. Sigh.

I actually agree with Melee for once. I agree that anonymity is essential to any free society, especially when it comes to the Internet. Unfortunately the powers that be (big Data and big Government) are trying to make anonymity more and more difficult if not impossible.

I still think most of this problem is social. Since humans are still in the infancy of the "digital age" people simply haven't "evolved" to deal with this new world. Eventually people will get wise and I think we will see a bigger push towards anonymity online. And maybe one day, teenage girls will learn not to flash the camera for strangers.

And, where was this girl's father during all this? If this happened to my daughter, I would probably be in prison for murder.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

The problem with technology, and something I've been discussing here to help prove the point - it is in your home.

We all had bullies, harassment, peer group pressure etc, but once home you were within the safety zone of your own family, now with social networking/computers, phones, etc, that buffer zone called home no longer exists for many of our youth, and they are growing up with the pressures of today's society, a faster world and no where to go for respite and solitude from it all. The fort once called home has been eroded, and as a consequence they either get stronger or weaker from this new world. Some stand taller and some have cracks appear until the only safety they feel is 'out'.......a sad, sad result.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

I would assume that most of these activities already run afoul of current law.

We don't need new laws, although there might be some fine tuning of existing laws.