removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:38
reply to JoelC707

Re: "Going Paperless"

said by JoelC707:

Now, on to file storage. I located one of our recently scanned batches. A 130 image PDF with letter size images is 27.7 MB.

Thanks - this is exactly what I was looking for as far as storage goes. Your example comes out to ~21KB per page, which I'll round up to 35KB just to prepare for the worst case scenario. I'm told that the biggest boxes they have contain "5 or 6" reams of paper - so we'll go with 6 reams for a total of 3000 sheets. If they were to scan 300 boxes with 3000 sheets of paper each, the total will come out to just a hair over 30GB.

Assuming that (again, worst case scenario), each box has 8GB of data on CDs/DVDs/etc. to be archived, we're looking at 2400GB of data on top of the 30GB of scanned documents. I'm beginning to see that my expectation of having to build out a 12TB+ storage system won't be happening now.

I should add that they won't be scanning in any of their existing boxes unless their plans change. The idea here is to start scanning their new archives while slowly destroying boxes that have exceeded the necessary retention period. 5-10 years from now ... no more boxes!

Storage, however, is still a concern. Their current bulk storage system - an older ReadyNAS device - has 4x 250GB drives in a RAID5 array. Speed leaves a bit to be desired as well. I could always upgrade their existing platform with some 2TB or 3TB drives, but I'm also debating just scrapping the old NAS and going with something new.

Thanks again for you guys' recommendations. I'll continue posting updates as I make progress here.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

If this is a law office, I hope you're charging them out the butt. ;)

If it's any help, a couple of years ago I researched scanners for somewhat similar requirements, namely:
•  TWAIN support (driver)
•  Automatic Document Feeder
•  Automatic Duplexing
•  Support legal size paper
•  Output to PDF

I did a simple low/med/high breakdown for their consideration:

Make/Model     Duplex Spd     Input Cap
Ricoh IS760D      122 ipm     200 sheets
Canon DR-4010C     84 ipm     100 sheets
HP Scanjet N6010   36 ipm      50 sheets

Those models are likely dated by now, but the current iterations of each may be comparable.

(Storage was not a concern since they were going to leverage their CMS.)

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to removed

Hey, I think you missed a digit in the per-page calculation (or possibly you divided by 1300 not 130). The 130 image PDF at 27.7MB comes out to 28364.8KB, divided back out by 130 comes to 218.19KB. The 10 image PDF at 2.15MB is 2201.6KB, and that divided by 10 is 220.16KB.

Let's round that up to 350KB (to keep with your example) and see what I come up with. Assuming 3000 sheets per box that's 1,050,000KB, 1025MB or right at 1GB per box. At 300 boxes, that's still only 300GB for all the boxes. You still won't exactly need that 12TB storage system for it but still.

Honestly this calculation is going to depend on two things: DPI of the scan and whether it is B&W or color. I've got a single page PDF that was scanned in color (it's a greyscale document so I did color so it didn't turn all the shading to pure black), not sure of the DPI (300 I think) but this single letter size PDF is 1.31MB by itself. This was scanned on my computer though, not any of the scanners at the office but I can't imagine that makes much difference.

Being a law type office I would assume most of their printed papers are text only. In that case you should have no trouble leaving it at B&W only or greyscale if your scanner supports that. Oh and I doubt you will need it but the Lanier/Ricoh IS760D (and our Ricoh copiers) support 11x17 tabloid feeding/scanning as well as some of what we do is done on that size paper instead (folded, it looks like a 4-page booklet of 8.5x11). I would suspect most high-end scanners support this size and everything in between but chances are all you need is letter/legal which nearly any scanner supports.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:38

said by JoelC707:

Hey, I think you missed a digit in the per-page calculation (or possibly you divided by 1300 not 130). The 130 image PDF at 27.7MB comes out to 28364.8KB, divided back out by 130 comes to 218.19KB. The 10 image PDF at 2.15MB is 2201.6KB, and that divided by 10 is 220.16KB.

Good catch! Doing math at 11PM (or any time of the day in my case) is never a good idea.

Met with the client today and we've agreed to reuse my customer's existing NAS system and upgrade the disks to 4x 2TB in a RAID5 array. I've also done some research on scanners and have picked out »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···Scanners based on the great reviews and the manufacturer's claim that a searchable PDF document can be created with just one button push.

I'm going to order the scanner this week, put a file box through it, and see if I can get something to go horribly wrong. If not, they'll be good to go as soon as the NAS partitions have been resized.

Thanks again for the help! More details to come as I start playing with the scanner...
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

That's a good looking scanner. Chances are they don't need something REALLY big anyway and the speed should be good on it. It's a stated 20 ppm on color, not sure on B&W. The IS760D I have is 122 as shown in a post above. I can confirm it can do that fast of scanning (speed will depend on DPI as well). The rubberish foam bump stop on the output of the ADF feed path has a bunch of gouges in it from paper edges smacking it at high speed lol.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to removed

Also, you mentioned insurance/legal service. I know that some law firms are required to backup all their data to a WORM device (Write Once, Read Many) for compliance purposes.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us