Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..

Minolta 35mm body won't adjust apature

I have a Minolta Maxxum 3xi 35mm camera that won't move the apeture of the lens (any lens I try). The kit 35-80 seems to sit at about f6 when it's on this camera. When it's on my Minolta X500, it's fine, so it's not the lens.

Any ideas on what the problem with this thing is? (It's not settings, as I've tried, P, S, A, and M with absolutely no change.)

I know it's an entry level SLR, so I don't want to drop a ton of money to get it fixed, but it was a nice camera when I wanted to play with film without hauling the giant X500 and all of its' gear out.
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

There's a little lever to the right side of the mirror that operates the aperture slide lever on the lens. If the one in the camera has stopped functioning, you will have the above problem. I think this may be solenoid operated as opposed to spring loaded. Have never handled one of those so it's a guess.

I don't think it is an expensive fix. Get a quote from a repair shop and see if that's the route you want to take.

Just for the heck of it, try cleaning the contacts inside the mount on the body. Who knows, it may work. Use the eraser end of a pencil.

Ralph.

shercando
Premium
join:2001-03-05
Madison, WI
reply to alphapointe

Aperture lever may have been tripped to the down position by accident before mounting a lens. Just carefully lift it back up then mount the lens --carefully.

HotRodFoto
Premium
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO
reply to alphapointe

Not worth repairing. Film is dead. Move to a Sony DSLR or go to ebay and buy a new 3XI body which can be had for between $10-20
--
Capturing the images of Colorado
»jdebordphoto.com

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..

I forgot to update this... I did buy a new body.

I have a Nikon D3100 DSLR, and I love it, but I also love film (I develop my own)

The aperture lever on the old body was sloppy and wouldn't move when the camera told it to, so I imagine it's linkage was busted... New 3xi body was about $12...
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"