how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsless

join:2001-05-16
Pittsburgh, PA

[XPPro] IE Issue(s)

Question for you IE gurus, our company recently pushed a patch for IE and other stuff and now one of the internal websites has quit working. However it works through Fire Fox and Chrome. The site is pingable from a dos prompt. The patching is turnkeyed with a firm in India and the internal support is working on it but I was hoping to find a solution quicker. Any ideas what to look out? The site is not blocked and will not work fully qualified. Thanks.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

Have ya checked the host file bud and see if it might be blocked in that for some reason??? (If it works in other browsers,its an IE issue which could be that)

Good luck!

dsless

Pittsburgh, PA

The hosts file is empty. I am sure the issue is with IE but what?

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1

clear hystory, cookies, it might help

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to dsless

Re: [XPPro] IE Issue(s)

"Not working" is not a technical term and, without a complete description and probably a link to the site, anything said will be just a wild-haired guess.

dsless

Pittsburgh, PA

The message I get is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to dsless

Could you be a bit more specific on the "Patch for IE and other stuff"? I've worked in IT for 15 years, so if you ask someone, they should be able to tell you exactly what was installed.

Also, since you are talking about an internal webpage, I know you won't be able to share the exact URL, as none of us would be able to get to it anyway. However, it would be interesting to know (if you can tell us) what functionally was on that page. In the last company I worked for, IE and Java updates had to be very closely tested, as we used a lot of Oracle's SSO applications. They were very closely tied to specific versions of IE, its patches, and Java Versions. Update one to soon before making changes to the corresponding SSO code, and things stop working.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

dsless

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to dsless

This is an internal Oracle site for enterprise manager(11.X). The changes that have been made is what I am trying to identify. A third party pushes patches to our machines and they have been playing ping pong with the ticket that was opened internally for the issue. I am at the mercy the process until I can get this internally escalted. Thanks.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to dsless

Since you said Oracle Enterprise Manager, I believe that falls into the same group that I was talking about. Again, its been 2 years since I worked for that company, so my memory is getting a bit fuzzy there on what exactly we had running.

But, I do know it was an Oracle Product that the user base would access via IE, and Java was also involved. Before moving to IE 8 on Windows XP (this was before the move to Windows 7), as well as before newer versions of Java were deployed, lots of testing and updating had to be done to the Oracle side of things to make sure it would work. I don't know what all was involved there, as I was not on that team (I was on the team that deployed the software). We all wanted to move to IE8 and the newer version of Java (whatever that was at the time), but we could not, as it would cause so many issues. So, we had to wait until the Oracle Development team did whatever it was they needed to do (upgrade the Oracle products to new versions, re-write custom code, etc).

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

dsless

Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks for the reply. The patches were forced upon us. We never know what is coming. I hear your pain about testing. One of coworkers is responsible for Oracle financials and he is doing a big upgrade with patches to support windows 7.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to dsless

No problem. I know testing of that stuff takes a lot of time and effort.

I hope your IT people figure out what is going on.

Feel free to update this thread if you get more info or need additional help.

Sorry I was not more help.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to dsless

Im sorry they did this,they ended up causing MORE PROBLEMS than not it seems.... Is there ANY WAY to do a restore to BEFORE THEY DID THIS?

dsless

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to dsless

Re: [XPPro] IE Issue(s)

Maybe but then it would be pushed again. I have contacted our internal manager that handles the vendor relationships about this issue. If that doesn't work time to drive it up the chain and call the VP of the data center. He is a good guy that always tries to help.
Thanks for the input everyone