Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

saeedonweb

join:2012-05-31
Reviews:
·CIKTEL Telecom

CIK Telecom- I am not impressed

I have been with CIK Telecom (»www.ciktel.com) for just over a month. I have an unlimited bandwidth 18 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up connection with a VoIP phone cable Internet package for just $39.95 plus taxes. To be fair, the installation went very smoothly. The modem and VoIP adapter arrived promptly, and so did the Rogers technician.

In the beginning I was able to get speeds of 24 Mbps on a regular basis. The voice quality on the phone was also great. However, recently, meaning for the past two weeks, I have been having issues with the service. The Internet has been really slow, down to a crawl... 0.6 Mbps on last Sunday evening. I noticed because I was actually unable to watch a youtube video. My kids use a laptop, and they regularly complain of buffering videos. And this happens anytime during the day, afternoons and evenings, even mornings. The voice quality on the phone was so bad a few days ago that I could hardly keep up a conversation over the phone.

Now am I the only one having such issues or the service is really so bad? I am already looking to move back to Bell if all cable Internet is like this.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Do you have a docsis 2 modem? Could be local node congestion... which is Rogers. A Docsis 3 modem would fix this.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
reply to saeedonweb
If you do a lot of downloading or online streaming, you're most likely now being throttled by Rogers and good luck cause they don't give a damn about their customers.....

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
reply to saeedonweb
I wonder who they resell for cable...

Can you do a tracert to google.ca and post it?

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
He said they sent out a Rogers tech so I'm assuming Rogers.....

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by rednekcowboy:

He said they sent out a Rogers tech so I'm assuming Rogers.....

Nah, Rogers only does the install, cuz its their physical network.

koreyb

East York, ON
reply to rednekcowboy
It's likely Distrubutel.

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to rednekcowboy
said by rednekcowboy:

If you do a lot of downloading or online streaming, you're most likely now being throttled by Rogers and good luck cause they don't give a damn about their customers.....

Rogers isn't Throttling a lot of areas now... and mostly hasn't been doing it to 3rd parties. Rogers got told they had to remove all throttling due to it working incorrectly.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I wonder who they resell for cable..

I think they may actually be a stand alone TPIA. They offer 75mbit plans. They have lied about what the offer before, but it is hard to imagine that offering a 75mbit plan is a lie.

Nobody has any good information though. A tracert would be a huge help.
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

sugar2012

join:2012-11-14
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to saeedonweb
I have similar experiences that I switch to them less than one month. I was switching from Rogers to CIK. Their call centre is not that helpful but you get very good service if you wrote to their Senior Manager @ Jack.don@ciktel.com. He told me that Rogers informed them that they reached full capacity. They have to switch the router for them. He also told me that he did some upgrade on Nov 7, 2012. I am really impressed with the service that we did get our agreed bandwidth i.e. 28 Mbps down and 1M Kbps up most of the time or little less in peak time. Much better than Rogers!

I am impressed so far!

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
sugar2012, could you please post a tracert to google.ca for us. It would be very helpful for understanding exactly what service CIK Telecom is really offering.
--
electronicsguru.ca