pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

It Has To

If Sprint drops unlimited data then they have no competitive advantage to AT&T or Verizon, which both easily smoke Sprint in the native coverage department.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Areas that have sprint most likely have T-Mobile which offer unlimited and has no contracts. No to mention discount no contract carriers like Straight Talk, net 10, Cricket etc etc.

io chico
Premium Member
join:2003-12-30
Marble Falls, TX

io chico to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Give me Unlimited!

Agreed. Unlimited data is the only reason I stay with Sprint. I have a choice of two carriers where I live and AT&T is 3x faster, but Sprint is unlimited. I don't care about speed if I can't use my phone past the 3rd week of the month.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by io chico:

Agreed. Unlimited data is the only reason I stay with Sprint. I have a choice of two carriers where I live and AT&T is 3x faster, but Sprint is unlimited. I don't care about speed if I can't use my phone past the 3rd week of the month.

And even if Sprint offered "unlimited" 4G in my area I wouldn't go with the because I know "unlimited" is complete bullshit. I'd rather a company be honest form the start. Not tell me unlimited but really it's 2 GB then throttled to dail-up speed afterwards.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to pnh102

to pnh102

Re: It Has To

Given that it's Sprint's only leverage and Softbank also offers unlimited, not sure why this would even be questioned. This is FUD.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

That doesn't say much for Sprint future if their ONLY leverage is unlimited. Which isn't actually leverage if there are many other option that offer unlimited. Options that offer no contract and that are cheaper.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon
Exactly and as Sprint increases their coverage, so goes their marketshare and ARPU. The only thing really holding back Sprint's growth is their coverage. SoftBank can fix that. SoftBank also has churn in line with Verizon and AT&T at around 1% so as Sprint's "problems" are fixed, they'll be able keep the customers they get.

The market in Japan is completely saturated with 127M subscribers out of a population of about 127M. Growth between all of the carriers in Japan was only 0.6%. They're done.

This is a logical move for SoftBank who is having a lot of trouble stealing customers from NTT and au/KDDI. With improved Sprint coverage, swiping AT&T and Verizon customers wouldn't be nearly as difficult, especially if they keep their aggressive data plans or adapt the sliding model for data usage they have in Japan.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by skeechan:

Exactly and as Sprint increases their coverage, so goes their marketshare and ARPU. The only thing really holding back Sprint's growth is their coverage. SoftBank can fix that. SoftBank also has churn in line with Verizon and AT&T at around 1% so as Sprint's "problems" are fixed, they'll be able keep the customers they get.

The market in Japan is completely saturated with 127M subscribers out of a population of about 127M. Growth between all of the carriers in Japan was only 0.6%. They're done.

This is a logical move for SoftBank who is having a lot of trouble stealing customers from NTT and au/KDDI. With improved Sprint coverage, swiping AT&T and Verizon customers wouldn't be nearly as difficult, especially if they keep their aggressive data plans or adapt the sliding model for data usage they have in Japan.

Sprint plans on LTE is cover CURRENT markets. Nothing has ever been stated on moving into new markets

Black_Mage
Premium Member
join:2012-09-12
USA

1 recommendation

Black_Mage to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
Unlimited data is the main reason I went back to Sprint. So far I am mildly regretting that decision though. Their customer service app (which is nothing more than links to their website) sucks compared to the app ATT had. Their 3G service also sucks compared to ATT's 3G service.
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: Give me Unlimited!

I've gone well over 2Gig many times and never ever been throttled as a normal user, as long as I am on a Sprint network. I can't speak for the tethring based cards tho

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to 88615298

to 88615298
Sprint doesn't throttle, your thinking of t-mobile's old unlimited plans, with X mb up to 4G speeds, which they still have in addition to the new truly unlimited and non-throttled 4G plan.
MovieLover76

MovieLover76 to Black_Mage

to Black_Mage

Re: It Has To

I gave up on unlimited when Verizon wanted me to pay full price for a new phone to keep unlimted, so I bought a gsm nexus at full price and switched to straight talk.

I can deal with a soft 2GB cap for $45, but not for almost $100.

Sprint's unlimited 3G is worthless imho, sure it's unlimited but using Sprint's 3G is like being constantly throttled on any other carrier, so what's the point?

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76

Re: Give me Unlimited!

said by MovieLover76:

Sprint doesn't throttle

They don't have to purposely do it. With the speeds I am getting in the neighborhood of around 200K/sec it might as well be throttled officially.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

And even if Sprint ... I know "unlimited" is complete bullshit...Not tell me unlimited but really it's 2 GB then throttled to dail-up speed afterwards.

BF69 you got ATT confused with Sprint.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· aEQzTcW0

The only sense in which Sprint does "throttle" per say is based on on current tower useage like any other carrier. Once a tower gets "full" they allow everyone to get an equal slice of the pie. But this metric doesn't take into past data usage.

This is very different from the straight 128kbps cap ATT throws on their "unlimited" users that use too much data.