Search similar:

uniqs

curious
@12.189.32.x

curious to TheTechGuru

Anon

to TheTechGuru

Re: Fixedwireless+ interference?

oh not sure if this will help you guys narrow anything down but you can be up to 10 miles from the tower and they only offer speeds of 1.5 and 3 megs. So the signal travels kinda far but doesn't offer very fast speeds.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

It sounds like it might be 900MHz Canopy. The 900MHz band can be fraught with interference and offers very few channels to choose from.

It is often chosen for its ability to tolerate some trees.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to curious

to curious
said by curious :

oh not sure if this will help you guys narrow anything down but you can be up to 10 miles from the tower and they only offer speeds of 1.5 and 3 megs. So the signal travels kinda far but doesn't offer very fast speeds.

I'm 3.5 miles from the tower and getting the speeds I posted earlier. It all depends on what they're using.
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to curious

to curious
Their speed offerings may have less to do with the technology and more to do with making sure there is enough to go around and/or controlling cost. Some WISPs allow as much speed as the technology can provide but that can cause issues when too many subs max out their system.

curious
@12.189.32.x

curious

Anon

We for sure have lots off trees out here. It's fair to say we have at least 100 trees for every 1 house lots of farm land and untouched forest. On top of that everyone on my street thinks it's a crime to trim any trees in your yard. I rent and have like 20 trees in my front and back yard most of which my landlord doesn't want me messing with. I still do some trimming though because if i don't the yard becomes like 1 giant canopy. Plus i'm pretty sure landlords have no legal right to tell me that i can't trim the trees in the first place. Anyway that's kinda off topic i'll let you guys no if they actually ever get it out here and how it works.
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob to curious

to curious
Sounds more like a tree problem and less like interference.

What is your signal at the SM ? (Ask the wisp for this). It will be expressed in a negitive value as dbm for example -78dbm.

edit: It could also be over subscription or noise as well.
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by OHSrob:

What is your signal at the SM ?

The OP has yet to become a sub and still waiting for tower provisioning to be completed. His tree ordeal is yet to come.

curious
@12.189.32.x

curious

Anon

Do they make booster equipment like amps for FW or something that would strengthen a weak signal? Like the stuff you can buy for 3g and 4G? If not are fw installers typically will to put user end equipment on a small pole or tower? Assuming i could get my landlords ok.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

amps/boosters and a WISP = absolutely not

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to curious

to curious
Perhaps a few pictures of your CPE radio. Model numbers, etc.

curious
@12.189.32.x

curious to Jim_in_VA

Anon

to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

amps/boosters and a WISP = absolutely not

What about getting the installers to put the antenna on my end on say a 30 foot tower? Are the installers typically willing to do that if you front the cash?
curious

curious to WHT

Anon

to WHT
said by WHT:

Perhaps a few pictures of your CPE radio. Model numbers, etc.

i don't actually know what any of that is. They're still working out kinks at the tower.
curious

curious

Anon

gonna call later today and see if they have any updates.
OHSrob

OHSrob to curious

to curious
Any wisp that think's AMP's will solve an interference issue on the ISM band is not capable of fixing your issues.

I would begin to look elsewhere for your internet these guys sound like clowns.

edit: Bi-directional amplifiers have pre-amplifiers in them on the RX side they add at minimum 17DB of gain. So you can expect an extra 22db of noise with an amp this will not work. (Assuming a 5db noise factor from the amp it's self)
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

1 recommendation

LLigetfa

said by OHSrob:

...these guys sound like clowns.

Read the thread more carefully or else you may come off looking like one yourself.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to OHSrob

to OHSrob
the OP asked the question about using amps/boosters, not the WISP he is considering. I don't know of any WISP that supports that gear.
OHSrob

OHSrob

said by LLigetfa:

said by OHSrob:

...these guys sound like clowns.

Read the thread more carefully or else you may come off looking like one yourself.

said by Jim_in_VA:

the OP asked the question about using amps/boosters, not the WISP he is considering. I don't know of any WISP that supports that gear.

Yah you guy's are right I can see he was just asking. Ignore my post above. I need to read more carefully next time.

curious
@wildblue.net

curious

Anon

sorry if i caused any confusion by asking about amps.
curious

curious

Anon

just called the wisp and he news was less then thrilling. The cs told me that they are having new issues at the towers but he wasn't allowed to say what they were and that it would be sometime next year before they could offer service. I'll try them out if they ever actually get here but at this point must question the competence of the company. They are close to a year behind schedule and still don't know when they will be up and running.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to curious

to curious
Says the one using Wildblue
stanleycr1
join:2008-12-02
Ivor, VA

stanleycr1 to curious

to curious
Curios you can find a little more info here: »docs.google.com/viewer?u ··· 0FAQ.pdf

This is a 700 mhz project using Wimax. I live in Southampton county and like you I am very disappointed with the delays.

curious
@wildblue.net

curious to wirelessdog

Anon

to wirelessdog
lol i sure ain't using wb because i like it it's kinda the only thing available to me. Just the same i have a hard time understanding how a company can fall a year behind schedule and say we have no idea when we will have things fixed but hopefully sometime next year.
curious

curious

Anon

says the document in that link has been taken down
curious

curious to stanleycr1

Anon

to stanleycr1
said by stanleycr1:

Curios you can find a little more info here: »docs.google.com/viewer?u ··· 0FAQ.pdf

This is a 700 mhz project using Wimax. I live in Southampton county and like you I am very disappointed with the delays.

ty for the liink
stanleycr1
join:2008-12-02
Ivor, VA

stanleycr1

These are there reports to the GOV.

»www2.ntia.doc.gov/grante ··· gsIsland

curious
@wildblue.net

curious

Anon

said by stanleycr1:

These are there reports to the GOV.

»www2.ntia.doc.gov/grante ··· gsIsland

looks like they aren't as far a long as i was told as rep told me in September that they had equipment on all the towers and were just trying to work out interference issues. Will be interesting to see what their 4th quarter report says.

bobmccud
@wildblue.net

bobmccud

Anon

How is fixed wireless for gaming
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to curious

to curious
Compared to Satellite? Excellent. Compared to 3G excellent. Compared to 4G depends.

It all depends on how the network is run.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to bobmccud

to bobmccud
said by bobmccud :

How is fixed wireless for gaming

I've gotten 5ms pings at times on my Fixed wireless.

bob mccud
@12.189.32.x

bob mccud

Anon

well i talked to my neighbor last night and she said she called recently and was told that the project was on hold and that right now they are unable to move forward. So i don't know if that means they have given up or it's just a temporary delay. I do know that when i called a little over a month back i was told that a new issue had come up.