FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious

Re: Revolution (NBC, Sept 17)

Surprised Canada and Mexico aren't partially listed in the map, its not like that disappeared overnight.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

said by PhoenixDown:

Surprised Canada and Mexico aren't partially listed in the map, its not like that disappeared overnight.

Well looking at the map, it appears that parts of canada and mexico have been acquired. California seems to have expanded into baja california and up into british columbia. Wastelands (if that is a country has expanded into somora and chihuahua. Texas expanded into the mexican states below it. And the Monroe republic took new brunswick and nova scotia. Plains nations only went so far as to take winnepeg and regina. Still I gotta say the shape of Wastelands is kinda odd from utah north. But I am surprised Monroe's map doesn't show more of canada. I would think it would since it does border them.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
said by PhoenixDown:

Typical "United States", myoptic view of the world. They do this ALL the time in all sorts of Media, as if their neighbor to the north has never existed. IMHO that shows a huge lack of respect on their end. Then again I'm Canadian so apoligies If I'm biased against a country full of biases, its a real shame actually.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by TwiztedZero:

said by PhoenixDown:

Typical "United States", myoptic view of the world. They do this ALL the time in all sorts of Media, as if their neighbor to the north has never existed. IMHO that shows a huge lack of respect on their end. Then again I'm Canadian so apoligies If I'm biased against a country full of biases, its a real shame actually.

With all due respect a lot of Canadian shows presuppose, suggest or explicitly state that the events take place in the USA. It’s a common stage for theatrics like outer space is to scifi (not all encompassing but significant). I do find it refreshing when we see otherwise though. I also find it amusing to see UK shows do something similar like Doctor Who and Torchwood (though Miracle day supposedly took place in the USA at least in part and so too did a recent season of Dr Who).

As an example, I recall seeing the Washington monument in many episodes of Earth Final Conflict. However, a great deal of travel did take place in the show. I recall one episode where I thought they were supposed to be in the USA but in the background on a building you could make out a Canadian flag. It was amusing to say the least,...

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

I can only assume that they are playing to their targeted audience. It wouldn't surprise me if 40% of Americans couldn't find Canada on a map
Andway like I mentioned in an earlier post, I am surprised Monroe's map doesn't show more of canada or the new countries of canada esp since they are his northern border.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I wonder if early continental US maps gave due notice of native American regions with any noteworthy detail? Probably some but not necessarily all, naturally. One would think that the established regions also have military resources to maintain their respective sovereign nations. If the military might isn’t there then they may not give the claim to the regain any real consideration.

So in other words they may have information that there is a “New Republic of Mexico”, for example, and some notion of their cited boundaries. However, if they also have no means of defense (or an inferior defense force) how long would such a nation exist especially if you and other developing commonwealths have designs on the area?

These people are living in a fictional world where might makes right.