uniqs
share rss forum feed

gogorichie

join:2005-04-14
Palatine, IL
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

Sprint Service

Just switch over to sprint last night and realized how awful wireless is in chicago last night i speed checked it at my house in the nw burbs it was 6936 kps over LTE. Check it again in the city today i'm connecting at 89kps over Ehrpd.

Talk about a performance let down

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

What service were you coming from? What speeds did you have with your previous service? Have you contacted Sprint to see if these speeds are out of line of what you should be realistically seeing? Maybe Sprint can help you trouble shoot the issue? What device are you using?

gogorichie

join:2005-04-14
Palatine, IL
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

I came from t-mobile i had 6mbps on avg pretty much everywhere. I switched for two reasons one my wife wanted a iPhone and two i wanted unlimited data. I haven't contacted Sprint yet but i plan on it for sure. I have a Samsung Nexus LTE prior to that i had a Samsung Exhibit II 4G

habya
Premium
join:2003-05-29
Huntsville, AL
reply to gogorichie

Sprint is dead slow here as well. Here in Huntsville I get around 0.35 Mbps, often less. Also lots of 'network is busy' errors when trying to call people, so you have to dial them a couple times.

Talked with tech support which was of course no help.

Only reason we still stay with them is the price since my work gives a decent discount.

I would think they'd at least have good speeds everywhere in a city like Chicago....
--
HABYA HABYA HABYA TEAR DOWN THE HEMP STALKS EAT UP THE OLD MAN AND WOMAN AND CARRY OFF THE LITTLE GIRL MAY YOU DIE ALONE

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to gogorichie

Chicago is still undergoing the network vision transformation so there will still be issues until things are complete.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to gogorichie

I tried Sprint here in DFW with a 4G Tri-Fi hotspot and the service was horrid in town, and useless out in more rural areas. I ended up deciding to stay with Verizon and pay a slightly higher price for their 4G instead.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to gogorichie

lol. you went from t-mobile to sprint?

at&t is a little better but haven't you seen the verizon commercials? they're better PERIOD

get verizon. also, practice making informed decisions.
--
If you find the information in my post helpful or interesting, please throw me a Kudos. Thanks!

Flummoxed
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Saint Peters, MO
reply to gogorichie

Sprint 3g is always slow in my area. I switched from Att and thinking about going back. Sprint's 4g will sometimes give good speed but not much faster then Att's 3g was.

Hesher
Premium
join:2002-09-26
Sycamore, IL
reply to gogorichie

I had Sprint for two years (july '10 - July 12). 4G was never very good and I couldn't get it even when I was down town most of the time. Over all, the service was great until about April of this year when they started their rebuild. I've heard it's gotten a little better than from when I left, but it was so God Awful for months and customer service just didn't give a rats butt (sorry, growing pains, get used to it.......well, we are rebuilding and you'll just have to live with it......sure we can cancel service and we know your service sucks, but you have to pay an ETF.......sure we'll waive the ETF, but you have to mail in your phones you paid for 2 years ago). I know a family that had them for 34 days.....4 days after their 30 day period and Sprint charged them 5 ETF's to get out (they would have gotten out sooner but the customer service dept duped them into waiting another week b/c towers were going live that day). Just horrible experience with them in the end.

I literally dropped 17 calls in one day. They "upgraded" voice mail service to the point that I would erase all of the visual voice mails and still not be able to receive voice mail (according to them, I had the voice mail virus...pfft, not true, instead I had the Sprint doesn't give a damn virus).

I've been through Verizon, Sprint and t-mobile in the last few years (got rid of verizon b/c of their customer service and bad black berry's (not verizons fault), got rid of T-Mobile because their coverage was very spotty out by me, got rid of sprint because of the above. Now I'm back to Verizon and while I don't like the bill, the coverage has been fantastic. Haven't dropped a call in 3 months.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to gogorichie

Sprint is awful and we have had them for years. My husband needs to change providers. I can barely get 3G and have NEVER gotten 4G service on my phone- even while going into Boston, MA, Providence, RI and NYC. Everytime we drive 5mins over into the border of New Hampshire, I lose service altogether and can't even text or make calls.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to gogorichie

Return the phones in the two week buyers remorse period, and if you're like most ignorant consumers you already ported your number over before you knew that you would be happy with the service. So to keep you numbers you would have to port them out first otherwise you would lose them if you cancelled today.

T-Mobile works great out here, it just depends on where you live, and there is no one best carrier everywhere in the country. I wouldn't go with a provider just for a phone, but some people do, Unfortunately for greater "4G" coverage you usually have to go with the death star, or the most expensive carrier available, however never trust their generic coverage maps.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to gogorichie

The fact that your non LTE connection showing up as EHRPD rather than EVDO A is a good thing. EHRPD is a software enhancement made to towers that allows for seamless handoff between 3G and 4G and that means it’s only a matter of time before more towers in your area get upgraded to LTE.

About a month ago, in my area my Evo 4G LTE started registering the EVDO network as EHRPD, but with no formal announcement of when Buffalo or any market in Upstate NY would start seeing LTE, after 9 years of being with Nextel and Sprint, I made the painful switch to Verizon. Verizon’s 4G LTE is nothing to write home about, speeds are slower than I expected, in fact they're on par or slightly worse than with AT&Ts HSPA+ network or Sprint’s Wimax. I do love the phone though, the Droid DNA is very nice, even if the network it’s on isn’t. Sprints current 3G speeds in my area were horrendous, but got slightly better after the EHRPD upgrade. But I couldn’t take it anymore.

Once Sprint launches LTE here and coverage is consistent, I will be moving back to them, so long as they have a handset that is considerably better than what I have now. With Verizon I’m sharing 10GB across two smartphones and a USB Air Card for $200. With Sprint for $210 I could have Unlimited Data on the two smartphones and 6GB on their air card. It really sucks I have to watch my data usage now. I switched to Verizon a week ago Saturday and already used 2.5 GB.

I say hang in there! Your area is still under transformation, and in a few months you’ll have unlimited LTE coverage just about everywhere you have service and I’ll be jealous. Me? I’ll be stuck with Shitrizon and their lame caps on their slow LTE network. Your 7Mb down that you pulled in is 2Mb faster than anything I’ve been able to pull in over the past few days, and I bet your PING was really low too.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.