pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 edit

pandora

Premium Member

So 40% of my home is demolished w/ no sidewalk ... AND

So about 40% of my home is demolished, and under construction (they are framing it). After completion the home size will be around 5,000 sq ft up from 3,200 sq ft.

However at the moment, I have no heat in the lower floor (oil burner was removed, hot water baseboard yet to be removed). An addition to the back was added but is incomplete.

There is no sidewalk to the front door of the house, as it was ripped up in anticipation of a crescent driveway which will pass the front door.

A 48' truck trailer is sitting in the middle of my front yard, holding cement siding.

On Wednesday or Thursday, a tree removal company will take away 6 large trees (trunks up to between 3 and 4 feet) and 3 small trees (trunks under 4" diameter). This will make way for electrical conduit to be dug in a trench, and a ton of conduit will be run under the area to be paved for lighting and surveillance.

At the moment about half my home is heated, and most of the grass in my front yard has been destroyed and turned to mud.

While this is going on, I keep getting calls from my home insurance company wanting to send an inspector out to see how much they should raise my coverage. I suggested without a CO, without heat to half the house, and with mud for a front yard that a reduction should be considered, and left a message asking how much she'd like to cut my insurance premium while only half my former house is habitable and heated.

So far, no return call.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Funny
But they WILL want to raise your insurance premium when it's complete!

How much did that major project cost you?
I had a client do something similar. It cost them 600,000$ (Very luxurious upgrades included but still...).
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

1 edit

pandora

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

Funny
But they WILL want to raise your insurance premium when it's complete!

How much did that major project cost you?
I had a client do something similar. It cost them 600,000$ (Very luxurious upgrades included but still...).

The estimate for construction from the carpenter was $95,000. However, that didn't include the cost of new windows, new stairs, flooring (installation is included). Sheet rock, doors, and what not were included.

At the moment, the total cost is approaching $220,000.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200 to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
Holy hell, would I love to see pictures of this project! Especially the structured wiring.

Sounds like a nice plan in the making.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

alkizmo to pandora

to pandora
said by pandora:

It is amazing how the costs keep going up and up. Decent plank flooring for approximately 1,400 sq ft is also expensive.

Wait, you don't have a complete plan drawn out with a rough estimate of the total cost?

Danger danger!

Since you started already and don't know the final cost, I guess you are paying from your savings (and have no mortgage).

Be careful buddy.
Don't run out of funds! Prepare a final plan to present to a bank if you need to get financing to finish it.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

1 edit

pandora

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

Wait, you don't have a complete plan drawn out with a rough estimate of the total cost?

Danger danger!

Since you started already and don't know the final cost, I guess you are paying from your savings (and have no mortgage).

Be careful buddy.
Don't run out of funds! Prepare a final plan to present to a bank if you need to get financing to finish it.

Fortunately, I can afford what is being done.

It's just taking forever.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

alkizmo

said by pandora:

It's just taking forever.

I can understand. My client is finishing up little details, but she started just over a year ago. It's not easy when you have to bring in separate contractors for different types of construction.

Good thing was that her career IS project management, so she had a good management method.
said by pandora:

I want a 21st century house and my home was built in 70 with CO in early 71. The changes are massive, but the home will have similar lines to existing homes, just have an updated appearance with massively updated technological features.

The big issue about updating older houses is the cost vs. value increase. It's often just better to buy a new home built the way you wanted, but vacant lots availability, emotional attachement to the home/area are important. If you have the money and are financially sound to pay for such project, then yay for you
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

1 edit

pandora to Killa200

Premium Member

to Killa200
I'll try to post some pictures in the near future.
Speedy Petey
join:2008-01-19

Speedy Petey to pandora

to pandora
said by pandora:

After completion the home size will be around 5,000 sq ft up from 3,200 sq ft.

Did you add a few kids to the family?

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Speedy Petey:

said by pandora:

The kids became teenagers and increased their "personal" bubble requirements by 100x.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by Speedy Petey:

said by pandora:

The kids became teenagers and increased their "personal" bubble requirements by 100x.

THAT is more along the lines of the problem. My oldest is about to drive. A Ford F150 is coming sometime this Spring.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to pandora

MVM

to pandora
said by pandora:

While this is going on, I keep getting calls from my home insurance company wanting to send an inspector out to see how much they should raise my coverage. I suggested without a CO, without heat to half the house, and with mud for a front yard that a reduction should be considered, and left a message asking how much she'd like to cut my insurance premium while only half my former house is habitable and heated.

Yearly insurance premiums are what, maybe a few thousand? You'd bother reducing your coverage while it's under construction? What you'd save is a drop in the bucket.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by cdru:

Yearly insurance premiums are what, maybe a few thousand? You'd bother reducing your coverage while it's under construction? What you'd save is a drop in the bucket.

NO, the idiots at the insurance company want to come out and increase my premium.

I was pointing out the irony that the current value is less as much of the house has been demolished and is in the process of being reconstructed.

I'm not pestering them, they are pestering me.
pandora

pandora

Premium Member

Just a follow up, today was tree removal day. At least cutting trees down (about 8 overall real trees, a couple of small tiny trees (under 3" diameter trunks), 6 fairly large, 2 gigantic). As the trees came down, we found a large telephone pole support cable about 5' into my planned driveway. The utility already agreed to modify my service and run a trench under the driveway. The trench area we agreed to is smack in the middle of the heavy support cable.

I called them and they will come out to see about moving the support cable (there are 2). We have a 40+ year old pole with a transformer and street light on it. The cable seems to have a lot of slack and doesn't seem to be supporting the pole at this time. Wonder if it's for wind or winter?

The yard keeps looking cleaner and cleaner, never had such a clear shot at seeing my back yard from the street.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

Oh c'mon, you're killing us..... WE NEED PICS!!!!

pandora
Premium Member
Outland

1 recommendation

pandora

Premium Member

Ok, here are some pics, more if requested ...

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by pandora:

Ok, here are some pics, more if requested ...

We love pics! Bring em on.

Seriously, its neat to see projects like this come together. You'll enjoy your new space I'm sure.

Killa200
Premium Member
TN

Killa200 to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
Pole looks to be power with tel and cable subbed on it. Call power, they may move or at least re-guy it from the look of it.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by Killa200:

Pole looks to be power with tel and cable subbed on it. Call power, they may move or at least re-guy it from the look of it.

Almost. The pole has power and cable, but phone is via underground conduit already (no phone service on any telephone poles in my street).

We'll see what they do early next week. The trees were all cut today, but weather tomorrow is supposed to be wet, and the stumps likely won't be pulled until Monday at the earliest.

Killa200
Premium Member
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by pandora:

Almost. The pole has power and cable, but phone is via underground conduit already (no phone service on any telephone poles in my street).

That is what i get for trying to look at pictures on my phone, lol. Yeah i can see now its all cable / triplex.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
Do you have a floor plan sketch that you can post up so I can wrap my head around the layout and scope of work involved?
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

4 edits

1 recommendation

pandora

Premium Member

Click for full size
Redacted floor plan, showing 2nd floor basic room dimensions.
said by natedj:

Do you have a floor plan sketch that you can post up so I can wrap my head around the layout and scope of work involved?

I'll enclose a redacted floor plan, showing the rooms and basic structure of the 2nd floor. Where most of the modifications are.

Due to changes in zoning, no modification of foundation dimensions were possible. However extensive improvements to the existing foundation were permitted and made. The new 2nd floor sits over an area that was an attached breezeway (heated and used as a home office) and 2 car garage.

A 2nd front door will be made by the garage in the breezeway, and will permit access to a new second stairway which enters into the new area above the existing area.

There has been a lot of repair and improvement to the foundation, which was permitted.

Note the length on the floor plan shows 29', instead it is 30'. 29' was to create an unsupported cantilever the town rejected this, and required a supported cantilever, which is now 4', and extends the addition size by 1'.

Some of the exterior dimensions are a bit off. The deck for example is 15' wide by approximately 36' long. The entire length of the house is approximately 95' not 88' as listed. 2 2nd floor bathrooms, one off the master bedroom are either not shown, are are incorrectly shown as a closet.
pandora

pandora

Premium Member

The insurance inspector came out, and there will be no increase. They'll re-evaluate in mid November (which is still probably 2 weeks too soon), but if they must ...

The trees are cut down to stumps, about 1' off the ground, and the stumps will be dug up soon.

Next week, a lot of concrete will be poured.

My HVAC person is starting to install (a bit ahead of schedule) working on the old part of the house first. He says if the electric boxes are installed he can energize the air handler and run us on emergency heat until the heat pump can be installed (the addition must be framed to allow refrigerant and control lines to be run through the addition.

This seems a bit early to me as well. However, it'll be nice to get started.

The new filters are MERV 13, the old were MERV 8 or 9 IIRC.