share rss forum feed

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to removed

Re: "Going Paperless"

Hey, I think you missed a digit in the per-page calculation (or possibly you divided by 1300 not 130). The 130 image PDF at 27.7MB comes out to 28364.8KB, divided back out by 130 comes to 218.19KB. The 10 image PDF at 2.15MB is 2201.6KB, and that divided by 10 is 220.16KB.

Let's round that up to 350KB (to keep with your example) and see what I come up with. Assuming 3000 sheets per box that's 1,050,000KB, 1025MB or right at 1GB per box. At 300 boxes, that's still only 300GB for all the boxes. You still won't exactly need that 12TB storage system for it but still.

Honestly this calculation is going to depend on two things: DPI of the scan and whether it is B&W or color. I've got a single page PDF that was scanned in color (it's a greyscale document so I did color so it didn't turn all the shading to pure black), not sure of the DPI (300 I think) but this single letter size PDF is 1.31MB by itself. This was scanned on my computer though, not any of the scanners at the office but I can't imagine that makes much difference.

Being a law type office I would assume most of their printed papers are text only. In that case you should have no trouble leaving it at B&W only or greyscale if your scanner supports that. Oh and I doubt you will need it but the Lanier/Ricoh IS760D (and our Ricoh copiers) support 11x17 tabloid feeding/scanning as well as some of what we do is done on that size paper instead (folded, it looks like a 4-page booklet of 8.5x11). I would suspect most high-end scanners support this size and everything in between but chances are all you need is letter/legal which nearly any scanner supports.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

said by JoelC707:

Hey, I think you missed a digit in the per-page calculation (or possibly you divided by 1300 not 130). The 130 image PDF at 27.7MB comes out to 28364.8KB, divided back out by 130 comes to 218.19KB. The 10 image PDF at 2.15MB is 2201.6KB, and that divided by 10 is 220.16KB.

Good catch! Doing math at 11PM (or any time of the day in my case) is never a good idea.

Met with the client today and we've agreed to reuse my customer's existing NAS system and upgrade the disks to 4x 2TB in a RAID5 array. I've also done some research on scanners and have picked out »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···Scanners based on the great reviews and the manufacturer's claim that a searchable PDF document can be created with just one button push.

I'm going to order the scanner this week, put a file box through it, and see if I can get something to go horribly wrong. If not, they'll be good to go as soon as the NAS partitions have been resized.

Thanks again for the help! More details to come as I start playing with the scanner...
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

That's a good looking scanner. Chances are they don't need something REALLY big anyway and the speed should be good on it. It's a stated 20 ppm on color, not sure on B&W. The IS760D I have is 122 as shown in a post above. I can confirm it can do that fast of scanning (speed will depend on DPI as well). The rubberish foam bump stop on the output of the ADF feed path has a bunch of gouges in it from paper edges smacking it at high speed lol.