nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: Goodbye Clear Qam Channels - FCC ruling

said by 88615298:

said by nonamesleft:

Uhh dude...Directv dishnetwork uverse and fios need a box to convert the signal! Cable doesn't!!!!!!! Except for certain tiers.

Um dude in case you haven't heard Charter is going all digital and in fact they have done that already in certain areas. So please explain to me how an old fashion CRT that only has a NTSC tuner is going to convert a digital signal which has QAM modulation without a box of some sort? I eagerly await you response.

By the way none of this has anything to do with the rule which just says Charter can now encrypt locals. Everything else was going to be encrypted anyways.

digital is the same as encrypting. There is a question awaiting your response in the monday links section, you better go answer his comment.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by nonamesleft:

digital is the same as encrypting.

Digital is far from the same as encrypting.

ClearQAM is digital but not encrypted. Many TVs and other devices can view these signals.

Encrypted QAM needs authorization and the proper equipment to decode, most TVs and other devices can't do it. CableCARDs were the FCCs answer to allow the decryption of cable signals by 3rd party equipment. They were integral to both authorization of equipment and decryption of the signals.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to nonamesleft

to nonamesleft
said by nonamesleft:

Um no it's not. The HD locals are digital they are not encrypted. OTA signals are digital they are not encrypted.

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

said by 88615298:

said by nonamesleft:

Um no it's not. The HD locals are digital they are not encrypted. OTA signals are digital they are not encrypted.

Then whats the problem then? You like when cable does this to you guys? You are lucky you don't need a box from the cable company for your toilet to make it work! These cable companies need regulators that don't give a cable companies a free pass and really law down the rules.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

What can you expect from the FCC when the policy makers are there by appointment and their longest stay is 8 years, if that long. They’re looking post FCC and being employed by the companies they regulate, rather directly employed or as a consultant or lobbyist …. They’re looking out for #1.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

1 edit

88615298 (banned) to nonamesleft

to nonamesleft
said by nonamesleft:

Then whats the problem then?

Exactly my point.

You like when cable does this to you guys?

Nothing is being done to me. I have digital cable which requires a box anyways. Those channels are already encrypted. This ruling and Charter conversion to all digital don't affect me one bit.

These cable companies need regulators that don't give a cable companies a free pass and really law down the rules

Once again there is no free pass. If anyone has had a free pass it's DirecTv, DishNetwork, U-verse and FiOS. yes in fantasyland everything would be free and no one would have to work. But this is real life. So yeah I guess box free and unencrypted would be nice but it's not fair that the others play by one set of rules and cable has had to go by another set.

Your logic is

DirecTv requires a box and encrypts ALL channels = totally acceptable

Charter requiring a box and encrypting ALL channels = greedy mother f-----s that need to die!

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

said by 88615298:

said by nonamesleft:

Then whats the problem then?

Exactly my point.

You like when cable does this to you guys?

Nothing is being done to me. I have digital cable which requires a box anyways. Those channels are already encrypted. This ruling and Charter conversion to all digital don't affect me one bit.

These cable companies need regulators that don't give a cable companies a free pass and really law down the rules

Once again there is no free pass. If anyone has had a free pass it's DirecTv, DishNetwork, U-verse and FiOS. yes in fantasyland everything would be free and no one would have to work. But this is real life. So yeah I guess box free and unencrypted would be nice but it's not fair that the others play by one set of rules and cable has had to go by another set.

Your logic is

DirecTv requires a box and encrypts ALL channels = totally acceptable

Charter requiring a box and encrypting ALL channels = greedy mother f-----s that need to die!

So it's ok to have to require a box for clear qam channels, when the damned tv has a qam tuner built in? Gosh stupid me! Lets pay the cable company MORE money for an unnecessary box!
Expand your moderator at work
krudl3r
join:2005-06-29
Eau Claire, WI

krudl3r to nonamesleft

to nonamesleft

Re: Goodbye Clear Qam Channels - FCC ruling

Yeah, this really stinks for a bedroom tv that you don't have room for a box... thanks Charter.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by krudl3r:

Yeah, this really stinks for a bedroom tv that you don't have room for a box... thanks Charter.

Thanks for what? I haven't heard they are getting rid of clear QAM channels yet.
krudl3r
Eau Claire, WI

krudl3r

They just told me that today... in a couple of months is what I was told.

As posted above, this may be market specific. The rep I spoke to was from WI, as I.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by krudl3r:

They just told me that today... in a couple of months is what I was told.

As posted above, this may be market specific. The rep I spoke to was from WI, as I.

What specifically did they say? I know in some areas they are all digital and they will everywhere eventually. But only those that were on analog expanded basic tier need a box and it's not even a regular box is a DTA Not much larger than a roku.
krudl3r
Eau Claire, WI

krudl3r

It was just a brief part of a larger discussion about cancelling the TV portion of my service. I specifically mentioned the FCC ruling and asked if Charter plans to encrypt clear qam and the response was "yes, starting in about two months". I didn't press for details as, while it will affect my service after discontinuing [paying for] TV service, it does not affect the decision (that is strictly based on the cost going from 90 to 135).