uniqs

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: Dream Modem - 24x8

An article about the new ARRIS gateways also on the Multichannel News site today:

Cable-Tec Expo: Arris Pushes DOCSIS Gateways Near 1-Gig Mark
Vendor to Show Off Seven Wi-Fi-Enabled Models With 16- and 24-Channel Bonding

By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - October 16, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/bro ··· k/139834
telcodad

2 edits

telcodad

MVM

Looks like Netgear will be the first to release a 24x4 modem/gateway:

Netgear's 1-Gig Cable Gateway Breaks Through
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - December 19, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable
Netgear Inc. is the first cable modem vendor to reveal that it has obtained CableLabs certification for a modem that can bond 24 channels and get within shouting distance of a shared 1Gbit/s downstream.

Netgear said it received the CableLabs stamp for the CG4500TM, a gateway with two voice ports, integrated Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) for wired home networking, and a dual-band 802.11n access point. The model's 24-channel downstream is paired with a four-channel upstream, the minimal upstream configuration allowed by the Docsis 3.0 specifications.

The device also uses MaxLinear Corp.'s MxL267 Full-Spectrum Capture tuner/front-end receiver.
:
A Netgear spokeswoman also confirmed that the CG4500TM is powered by the Intel Corp. Puma6 chipset, and that the product is expected to reach commercial availability in the first half of 2013.
EDIT: CED Magazine also has an article on this now:

Netgear’s new gateway garners CableLabs DOCSIS 3.0 certification
By Mike Robuck, CED Magazine - December 19, 2012
»www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· fication

EDIT2: Also, the press releases from Netgear and MaxLinear:
»www.netgear.com/about/pr ··· 012.aspx
»www.maxlinear.com/maxlin ··· -family/

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Guess my 8x4 Moto will be fine for now - still waiting for that 24x8 though if I were to ever buy anything newer. Hell 32/16? :P

Since I doubt my ISP is doing anything soon, I think i'm good for now. Would still love a 100Mbps and say 20Mbps up even though my 50/8 doesn't slow me down now.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Broadcom is now launching their new line of DOCSIS 3.0 chipsets that can bond up to 24 downstream channels, matching the capabilities of Intel's Puma 6 ones:

Broadcom Matches Intel With 1-Gig D3 Chipset
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - January 8, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· 40145750

and

CES: Broadcom Debuts Chips for 1-Gig Cable Modems, Ultra HD Set-Tops
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - January 8, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/bro ··· s/141088

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Very interesting. A modem with one of these chips would do Comcast's current fiber 305 service easily.

Think this would be what they need to bring it to the masses outside of the Metro-E area?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

I don't think Comcast will ever offer 305Mbps service using DOCSIS 3.0. If they ever do offer such speeds over their HFC network, it would probably be by using equipment built to the new, currently-under-development DOCSIS 3.1 specs (see: »Re: Dream Modem - 24x8).

Also see Jeff Baumgartner's blog item today about all this:

Will Broadcom Go for More Than 1-Gig?
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - January 8, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/blo ··· 40145759

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Yeah, I did some reading on it and you're probably right. I do find it funny though. I just got the D3 upgrade here about 3 weeks ago, after 5 years of waiting. Docsis 3.1's first products aren't due until some time next year. Wonder how long it'll take to get me that upgrade?

Keep up the goodies. I'm drooling over here.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Chris 313

to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

Very interesting. A modem with one of these chips would do Comcast's current fiber 305 service easily.

Except that would require upgrades to all of the cable nodes where they would provide this service via DOCSIS. It is easier going the FTTH route for these speed tiers.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

An article on the Light Reading Cable site with the latest status on the new DOCSIS 3.1 specifications:

Docsis 3.1 Stays on a Fast Track
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - March 19, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· 40151188
telcodad

2 edits

telcodad

MVM

Comcast announced its newest "Xfinity Wireless Gateway" which is capable of bonding up to 16 downstream channels, and incorporates a dual-band (2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz) 802.11n wireless router which tests show can provide speeds of up to 270 Mbps:

Comcast Revs Up Speedy Cisco Wireless Gateway
Debuts Dual-Band 802.11n/DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway in Tandem with Nationwide Broadband Speed Boost

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - April 26, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· y/142950

Press release: »www.businesswire.com/new ··· -Fastest

ComcastVoices blog: »corporate.comcast.com/co ··· e-nation

EDIT: The link to the "new competitive analysis" conducted by Allion USA, LLC (the link in the press release and blog is to the old one):
»www.allionusa.com/sites/ ··· ysis.pdf

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

OH NO, NOT ANOTHER GATEWAY DEVICE.... LORD HELP US !!!

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by EG:

OH NO, NOT ANOTHER GATEWAY DEVICE.... LORD HELP US !!!

Will this be any better then the ARRIS gateways we've heard horror stories about?

Personally, I just bought Asus RT-N66U. Whoever Comcast gets their gear from, I just want an EMTA version of this and call it a day.

Though, on the positive side, it lends evidence to the fact that Comcast will be rolling out a higher 205/xx speed soon.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

EG

Premium Member

Even if it's better quality, it will still have the inherent pitfalls that gateway devices have.. Just to name two of these pitfalls; like having more difficulties / complications when it comes to troubleshooting time (can't do process of elimination stuff as with separates), and also being a prisoner of the firmware updates that can come only from the ISP..

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by EG:

Even if it's better quality, it will still have the inherent pitfalls that gateway devices have.. Just to name two of these pitfalls; like having more difficulties / complications when it comes to troubleshooting time (can't do process of elimination stuff as with separates), and also being a prisoner of the firmware updates that can come only from the ISP..

Yes. When you have an issue, it is better to be able to just modem + device = solution or still have the issue, proving it isn't whatever else you had hooked up.

Can't do that with a combo unit.

And ya know, I think I like being the one that says when my router is updated firmware wise and with what features disabled/enabled

Look at the recent Xbox issues with the ARRIS gateway. Hell, I think a friend of mine had the same problem for about a year with an 852G.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Don't know if Comcast uses any of their products yet, but a 24x8 gateway made by Hitron Technologies has achieved certification from CableLabs. The model CGN3 gateway's certification was revealed today when MaxLinear announced that the device uses its MxL267 Full-Spectrum Capture (FSC) digital cable front-end receiver: »www.businesswire.com/new ··· 2%80%99s

CableLabs Blesses Hitron’s 1-Gig DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway
Powered by Intel and MaxLinear Chips, New Device Can Bond 24 Downstream Channels

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - May 13, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/tec ··· y/143284

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

3 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Are you guys sure the new gateway will be 16 downstream?

»media2.comcast.net/anon. ··· uide.pdf

»medialibrary.technicolor ··· 8706.pdf
Says 8x4

»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· are/?p=1

Unless, they're somehow making ANOTHER one?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Actually, the MCN article cited only says that "the DOCSIS 3.0 modem chip in the gateway can bond up to 16 downstream channels" and I just assumed at that time that the unit therefore would be 16x4.

However, when examining all the Comcast press releases/blog posts/documents about it, I see they never mention how many downstream channels it can bond, only what the wireless speeds it is capable of.

As you've found, the Cisco's use of that chip in the DPC3939 only implements up to 8 channel bonding, and is only 8x4, as is the Technicolor TC8706C wireless gateway.

BTW - I also found these other Comcast webpages on the XFINITY Wireless Gateways:

XFINITY Wireless Gateway User Guides: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· erguides

About the XFINITY Wireless Gateway: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· -gateway
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Netgear's new CG4500 24x8 gateway is starting to enter field trials now:

Test Time For Netgear’s 1 Gig DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway
Netgear’s Latest Gear Reaches Lab, Field Trials in Wake of CableLabs Certification

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - June 3, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/tec ··· y/143619
quote:
It runs on the Intel’s Puma 6 DOCSIS 3.0 chip and the MaxLinear MxL267 24-channel DOCSIS 3.0 receiver. The device itself was certified with the ability to bond 24 downstream channels and four upstream channels, but it is capable of bonding as many as eight upstream channels, [Product Manager Naveen] Chhangani said, noting that CableLabs wasn’t yet equipped to test at a 24x8 configuration when Netgear entered it for testing last year.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

Netgear’s Latest Gear Reaches Lab, Field Trials in Wake of CableLabs Certification

quote:
It runs on the Intel’s Puma 6 DOCSIS 3.0 chip and the MaxLinear MxL267 24-channel DOCSIS 3.0 receiver. The device itself was certified with the ability to bond 24 downstream channels and four upstream channels, but it is capable of bonding as many as eight upstream channels, [Product Manager Naveen] Chhangani said, noting that CableLabs wasn’t yet equipped to test at a 24x8 configuration when Netgear entered it for testing last year.

This is good news, but it's also kinda sad they didn't test the full 24x8 cause they couldn't at the time. Are you tired of seeing Nx4 modems? Is this the point where we'll see Nx8 going forward?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Chris 313:

said by telcodad:

quote:

This is good news, but it's also kinda sad they didn't test the full 24x8 cause they couldn't at the time. Are you tired of seeing Nx4 modems? Is this the point where we'll see Nx8 going forward?

As I said back in this thread »Re: 8 Downstream 8 Upstream Modems? , other than Comcast's HFC plant moving to a "mid-split" arrangement (extends the upstream path up to 85MHz), it doesn't seem likely that you'd be able to use an Nx8 modem with DOCSIS 3.0.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

As I said back in this thread »Re: 8 Downstream 8 Upstream Modems? , other than Comcast's HFC plant moving to a "mid-split" arrangement (extends the upstream path up to 85MHz), it doesn't seem likely that you'd be able to use an Nx8 modem with DOCSIS 3.0.

Well that blows, but still. At this moment, I'm more interested in my downloads getting to me faster then my uploads. Especially since you're seeing areas go 8x4 or better but still it's x4.

Man, I wish that they had a 24x8 modem out since things are changing around here soon and I'm gonna snag my own modem. Still, 8x4 is nothing to sneeze at, eh?

Thanks for the goodies. Hope you find more. I love drooling as I'll probably replace the soon to be bought 8x4 in about 3 years with whatever is newest at the time.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Chris 313:

Thanks for the goodies. Hope you find more. I love drooling as I'll probably replace the soon to be bought 8x4 in about 3 years with whatever is newest at the time.

By then there should be DOCSIS 3.1 modems available.
See:

Making Room for Docsis 3.1
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - March 27, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/blo ··· 40151838

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

said by Chris 313:

See:

Making Room for Docsis 3.1
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - March 27, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/blo ··· 40151838

Thanks for the read. I guess I'll be going D3.1 by then. I'm drooling, thinking about what the specs will be on that thing.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

DOCSIS 3.1 and actual roll out at the provider side is too far away.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by 34764170:

said by telcodad:

DOCSIS 3.1 and actual roll out at the provider side is too far away.

DOCSIS 3.1 equipment and modems should roll out faster than that for 3.0 did:

Docsis 3.1 Stays on a Fast Track
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - March 19, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· 40151188

"According to the latest Docsis 3.1 specification schedule, products should begin to appear in 2014, with initial deployments getting underway in 2015 and 2016."
telcodad

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

Broadcom has just announced their new BCM7145 32x8 chipset:

Broadcom Unveils 1.6G Gateway Chip
Mari Silbey, Light Reading Cable - June 4, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/cab ··· 40156024
quote:
... packs in 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels, HEVC video decoders for 4K UltraHD TV, transcoding capabilities for up to four video streams at once and gigabit-speed Wi-Fi.

The new SoC, designed for the next generation of cable home gateways, is not due to hit volume production until 2014, but Broadcom says it's currently running trials, and that "demand is extremely high across a large number of customers worldwide."

The Broadcom Press Release: »www.prnewswire.com/news- ··· 231.html

EDIT: Also an article about it on the MCN site: »www.multichannel.com/tec ··· g/143645

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

quote:
... packs in 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels, HEVC video decoders for 4K UltraHD TV, transcoding capabilities for up to four video streams at once and gigabit-speed Wi-Fi.

The new SoC, designed for the next generation of cable home gateways, is not due to hit volume production until 2014, but Broadcom says it's currently running trials, and that "demand is extremely high across a large number of customers worldwide."

EDIT: Also an article about it on the MCN site: »www.multichannel.com/tec ··· g/143645

Oh, I'm so jealous. Too bad we won't see modems with these until much later. By which time 3.1 will probably be rolling out, eh?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Chris 313:

said by telcodad:

quote:

Oh, I'm so jealous. Too bad we won't see modems with these until much later. By which time 3.1 will probably be rolling out, eh?

Yeah, D3.1 will be starting to ramp up then (if it stays on schedule), but this would help "fill the gap" I guess.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

Yeah, D3.1 will be starting to ramp up then (if it stays on schedule), but this would help "fill the gap" I guess.

Damn, do I hate buying my own modem. This'll make my 8x4 look like it sucks. Still, when will systems have 32 channels to use? I guess I'll look at what's out when it's time to upgrade and go for the best I can get.

Unlike other areas, especially ones that have competition, my area takes years to catch up to everyone else.

By the time we could get 32 channels here, 3.1 will probably have been rolling out for 2 years.

Sad, huh?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

FYI - Wi-Fi chipset maker Quantenna Communications is having its latest design incorporated into Intel's Puma 6 video gateway reference platform:

Quantenna Quickens Intel Gateways
By Mari Silbey, Light Reading Cable - June 5, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/wir ··· 40156105

EDIT: The Quantenna press release: »www.businesswire.com/new ··· olutions