Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4

Re: [DIRECTV] directv install in apartment building

I personally would give up Sunday ticket as opposed to getting evicted (especially if you cannot afford an attorney).

In Massachusetts, the landlord must allow the cable TV provider access to the building if one or more tenants requests cable. I live in a duplex and I have an old DirecTV dish on my roof from having DTV but have since switched to Comcast since it was cheaper to bundle TV with Internet and phone.
rscalzo
join:2006-07-07
Epping, NH

rscalzo

quote:
The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna[/quote}

You better read the law. It applies only to buildings you own or occupy on a cooperative basis such as a co-op or condo. It does not apply to a apartment building.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What I am talking about is cable providers (not Sattellite) and it is a state regulation in Mass. I saw it is some legal aid/tenants rights guide.

Edit: I found a link to an attorney's website that cites the state cable TV law. Scroll down to the Sattellite/cable section.
»www.gis.net/~groucho/lan ··· ord.html

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to rscalzo

Premium Member

to rscalzo
said by rscalzo:

quote:
The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna[/quote}

You better read the law. It applies only to buildings you own or occupy on a cooperative basis such as a co-op or condo. It does not apply to a apartment building.

It does apply to apartments also, as long as it is in an area that you have control over such as a patio or balcony.
rscalzo
join:2006-07-07
Epping, NH

rscalzo

You control access but not ownership such as applies to a condo/coop. their is NO mutual ownership implied in an apartment. While you can put it on the balcony and not permanently mounted, drilling holes in the structure isn't going to be permitted. Kiss the security deposit goodbye when the entry holes are repaired when you vacate. Slipping the cable under the window might work IF your balcony faces in the proper direction. Mounting on a wall or the roof will never be allowed if the landlord resists.

Either way, it's a Federal law. Don't bother filing in the city because they don't have jurisdiction. you have to file in Federal Court. by the time it's scheduled, you'll be too old to care.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What I am saying is under Massachusetts state law (if I am reciting the regulation correctly) is that the landlord of an apartment complex or other rental housing must grant a cable provider access to the building if one or more tenants requests cable television service. As who pays the install costs is a whole different ball game. What I am basically saying is this rule applies to cable television providers and does not apply to satellite (as cable providers are regulated by the state DPU).