lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Re: app_info.xml Creation

Hummmm.....the link to this thread link seems to change my forum theme.

Wonder if it's because of the file extension. Did you create it on a Mac?

..and thank you for the info. Will look to incorporate into the FAQ soon

syslock
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
La La Land

syslock

Premium Member

lets me open or save it normally... I'm in firefox on ubuntu.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

I can open and save it..it's just colored different

syslock
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
La La Land

syslock

Premium Member

Opened right up in LibreOffice with no weirdness. lol
Its probably just you... not enough purple in that document.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Our nice clever kitty helped figure out what it was...

...anyways, pardons, Glenn..but the title was fixed to prevent me from seeing the puke-y green page that opened up

Now we can get back on topic

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Nanoprobe3
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula

1 recommendation

Nanoprobe3 to glennaxl

Premium Member

to glennaxl

Re: app_info. x m l Creation

Just an FYI. This app_info is used if you have a higher end GPU (Like GTX 570 or above or an ATI 79xx series card maybe 78xx) and want to run multiple GPU tasks at the same time and crunch CPU tasks along side. The easiest way I know of to see if your current GPU is capable of running multiple tasks is to download and install a small program called GPUTemp. When you run this program it will give you the temperature of your GPU and the % of load on your GPU. If your load running 1 task is 95% +/- 2 then your GPU is not a candidate for running more than 1. You can run GPU and CPU tasks together without issues.

MadHatr
Premium Member
join:2001-02-11
Windsor Locks, CT

1 edit

MadHatr to glennaxl

Premium Member

to glennaxl
I have an I7 2600K w/ 8GB, GTX580 running Win7 64 bit. I tried running w/ the nvidia app_info.xml from nanoprobe's thread and it worked well for the gpu BUT I lost all running and cached cpu wu's. I let it run 2 gpu wu's for a bit to see if boinc manager would d/l cpu wu's. It did not. Well I guess I'm doing something wrong. FYI, I do exit and restart boinc manager after each change. I rename the app_info file and restarted boinc manager. And everything was fine. Got a bunch of cpu and gpu wu's d/l'd. So how do I run both cpu and multiple gpu wu's at the same time ?? I didn't have any problem when running multiple seta@home cuda wu's. But I was running only WCG cpu wu's at the same time. Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong ??
Thanks
John

P.S. I couldn't open the file at the start of this thread.
P.P.S. Boinc Manager 7.0.28
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Nanoprobe3

Premium Member

to Nanoprobe3
Thanks for the tip on that program. I've used the system tools from nvidia/AMD before and they usually provide that info as well but this tool is so much lighter than the full tool suite from the other guys. Especially if load/temps are all you care about. Unfortunately my 6870 is at ~95% load with 1 GPU task so I won't be able to run two like we'd talked about. Temps only climbed about 10c though which was nice (56-58c to 66-68c).

Nanoprobe3
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula

Nanoprobe3 to MadHatr

Premium Member

to MadHatr
said by MadHatr:

I have an I7 2600K w/ 8GB, GTX580 running Win7 64 bit. I tried running w/ the nvidia app_info.xml from nanoprobe's thread and it worked well for the gpu BUT I lost all running and cached cpu wu's. I let it run 2 gpu wu's for a bit to see if boinc manager would d/l cpu wu's. It did not. Well I guess I'm doing something wrong. FYI, I do exit and restart boinc manager after each change. I rename the app_info file and restarted boinc manager. And everything was fine. Got a bunch of cpu and gpu wu's d/l'd. So how do I run both cpu and multiple gpu wu's at the same time ?? I didn't have any problem when running multiple seta@home cuda wu's. But I was running only WCG cpu wu's at the same time. Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong ??
Thanks
John

P.S. I couldn't open the file at the start of this thread.
P.P.S. Boinc Manager 7.0.28

You're not doing anything wrong. It takes extra code added to the app_info file to run GPU and CPU tasks at the same. My earlier post above was not clear on that and it's too late to edit it. My bad. To open the file in the first post you need at least MS Word 2007. There may a third party app that will open it. Google is your friend.

glennaxl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-16
Zion

glennaxl

Premium Member

.docx is a native file extension when you create MS Word docs from version 2007 & 2010. If you have an earlier versions of MS Office, you will need to install the compatibility pack.

You can also use OpenOffice to view it. Link

MadHatr
Premium Member
join:2001-02-11
Windsor Locks, CT

MadHatr

Premium Member

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. I have WinZip 9.0 SR-1 and Office 2007. I don't seem to be able to unzip the file. Nothing I have tried has succeeded. WinZip says "Unable to open file; does not appear to be a valid archive." I get a like msg w/ Windows Explorer and Word 2007.
I'm assuming that the answer to my OP is contained in this file ?? Any other location I can get the info I need ??
Thanks
John

glennaxl
Premium Member
Zion

1 recommendation

glennaxl

Premium Member

Click for full size
App_Info.pdf
687,891 bytes
This file is now converted to pdf

DadeMurphy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-25
Danvers, MA

DadeMurphy to glennaxl

Premium Member

to glennaxl
Just wanted to say thank you for this guide. I finally got around to setting up an app_info and it doubled my daily points, I'm currently running 3 tasks on each of my 7950s.

glennaxl
Premium Member
Zion

glennaxl

Premium Member

said by DadeMurphy:

Just wanted to say thank you for this guide. I finally got around to setting up an app_info and it doubled my daily points, I'm currently running 3 tasks on each of my 7950s.

Your "Coprocessor: [BOINC|7.0.38][CAL|AMD Radeon HD 7900 series (Tahiti)|2|3072MB|1.4.1741]" can do more than that. If your running pure GPU, set it to 4 or 5.

GPU: 12.5
CPU: 1.0
4 task per GPU with 1 core assigned.

or

GPU: 10.0
CPU: 0.8
5 Task per GPU with .8 core assigned

For your reference, my 7770 is running 4 Task on i5-2600. my dual 7970 is running 16 Task on i7-990