uniqs

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

4 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Oracle Java SE 7u9 and 6u37 released

As scheduled Oracle released Java SE 7u9 and 6u37 today (Oct 16th 2012).

»www.oracle.com/technetwo ··· dex.html

(Links to the release notes are on the above page.)

As you may be aware Java has had a few 0-day exploits recently.

»Java 7 update7 has security vulnerability

» Java flaw allows complete bypass of security sandbox

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Does this update finally fix all the currently known security vulnerabilities and 0-day flaws?

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Oracle Critical Patch Update Pre-Release Announcement - October 2012
»www.oracle.com/technetwo ··· 893.html

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Thanks for the heads up. I really don't know why I still have Java installed on my 5 PC's. Is there some kind of list on the net that will tell you what programs or types of sites use Java? One of these days I'm just going to uninstall it and see if anyone in my house notices.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

I stopped updating months ago as I've disabled java in all my browsers for years.

The one instance you may find someone screaming about it is if they play games on Yahoo or Pogo,etc.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I am waiting for Bob to take responsibility before I fall for that one.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

I stopped updating months ago as I've disabled java in all my browsers for years.

The one instance you may find someone screaming about it is if they play games on Yahoo or Pogo,etc.

There is the Java speedtest here in the Tools section of dslreports. That may qualify as a game, too.

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci

Premium Member

I don't use Java speedtest on my PC. Sooner or later I'm going to removed it and see if anyone in my family notices it's gone.

MagnusM
Premium Member
join:2001-07-07

MagnusM to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
said by gugarci:

Is there some kind of list on the net that will tell you what programs or types of sites use Java?

If you're asking this you probably don't need Java installed at all

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

Dustyn to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Java 32-bit

Java 64-bit
Got it, thank you!

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Thanks Stuart.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to MagnusM

Premium Member

to MagnusM
Seconded

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

mmainprize to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Thanks for the heads up,

I think the auto update option is now the default. That is i think this update sets it to ON, to auto update JAVA and did not ask me how i wanted it set like it use to.

EDIT: Also with Windows 7 64 bit, you can not access the Update tab in the JAVA control Panel to change it.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Hearing that some people who used the manual update by going into the Java Control Panel Extension in the control panel of WinXP and hitting the update now..did get the Java updated to this Java SE 7u9..but now there is no longer that icon in the control panel and that part failed to install. Three of them had the last version of 7u7 installed. Anyone else now missing that in Win XP.

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to MagnusM

Premium Member

to MagnusM
said by MagnusM:

said by gugarci:

Is there some kind of list on the net that will tell you what programs or types of sites use Java?

If you're asking this you probably don't need Java installed at all

I know for sure I don't. But I can't the same thing about my wife and kids.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

mmainprize to Name Game

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

Hearing that some people who used the manual update by going into the Java Control Panel Extension in the control panel of WinXP and hitting the update now..did get the Java updated to this Java SE 7u9..but now there is no longer that icon in the control panel and that part failed to install. Three of them had the last version of 7u7 installed. Anyone else now missing that in Win XP.

That Update tab is not supported in Windows 64 bit OS's

»docs.oracle.com/javase/7 ··· ows.html

Installation of JRE on 64-Bit Windows Computers

64-bit Windows operating systems (which may be Windows 7, Vista or XP) come with a 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) browser as the standard (default) for viewing web pages. These operating systems also include a 64-bit Internet Explorer browser. However, using it is optional, and it must be explicitly selected to view web pages. Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, it is recommended that you use the default 32-bit browser and install the 32-bit JRE.

Note: The Windows Online Installer and Java Update features are not applicable to 64-bit architecture.

The following sections can help you determine which JRE to install:

Verifying Your Version of Windows
Verifying Your Browser
Choosing Which JRE Installer to Download

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Click for full size
No..actually talking about the javacpl.cpl file that is missing from the WinXP control panel after the update..should be in the system32 folder but is missing after the update. See screenshot for the icon.
Name Game

Name Game

Premium Member

Found the problem in their javadeployreg.txt..it starts here...

DeployHome: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\10.9.2
get system dir [C:\WINDOWS\system32] OK
isFileExist for [C:\WINDOWS\system32\javacpl.cpl] return FALSE
isFileExist for [C:\WINDOWS\system32\jpicpl32.cpl] return FALSE
adding command:COPY C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.cpl to C:\WINDOWS\system32\javacpl.cpl
Register Java Control Panel (XP) - added copy command
registerJQS
check JRE registry to see if it's an corrupted webstart key
failed to recover webstart key when attempt to open jre key FAIL, error code[2]
Cleanup bogus RegKeys in Java Plugin-in and Web Start OK
Cleanup bogus JavaFX disabled entry OK
Cleanup SSV disabled entry OK
Cleanup new SSV disabled entry OK

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

4 edits

rcdailey to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Yes, I just checked and the control panel is gone from "settings." I had done updates on one other XP system, but did not check that one. I suspect the answer will be the same. I am sure that the Win 7 systems still show the control panel, but will check them later. I am considering uninstalling Java and re-installing it to see if that restores the control panel.

Later . . . .
I uninstalled Java (used RevoUninstaller) and noted that update 9 is installed in the same folder as update 7, which RevoUninstaller warned about. I cleaned everything out anyway. I then downloaded the offline installer for Java and ran that. I got it installed, and it seemed to install more quickly than when I just did the update via the control panel. Also, once the installation was complete, the control panel was again available in "settings." To make sure that there were no other versions of Java left anywhere on my system, I ran JavaRa.

Things seem to be working, but the bit about both update 7 and update 9 being in the same folder may have something to do with the control panel disappearing when the internal updater was used.

I'd suggest that if you have the time and are using XP, just uninstall and clean out Java, then download the offline installer and reinstall Jave that way. That will probably work better.

One more thing to add. I enabled Java in Firefox and it works, but seems to load slowly. IE8, on the other hand, loads Java fast. Chrome seems to have the same problem as Firefox, so if anyone else notices this, then maybe Oracle has some more work to do.
rcdailey

rcdailey to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
I have the 32-bit Java installed on three Win 7 Pro 64-bit systems, but Java is disabled in the browsers.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

The main reason to have Java is for the ONLY decent speed tests out there (Visualware and Web 100). Flash speed tests are crap and not at all reliable.
Mele20

Mele20 to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
So you have never done a reliable speed test and feel no need to ever do one? Wow! Who is your ISP and how do I get a perfect connection like yours?
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

1 recommendation

EdmundGerber to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by ZZZZZZZ:

The main reason to have Java is for the ONLY decent speed tests out there (Visualware and Web 100). Flash speed tests are crap and not at all reliable.

Maybe for someone with a limited imagination like yourself. Java has uses beyond the browser. As a matter of fact, it's browser implementation is it's weakest link. I disable it on my browsers as well.

By the way - all speed tests are flawed. The only way to be sure is to download or upload data.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 recommendation

jabarnut to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Thanks, Stuart...got it.
(I'll stay out of the argument as to whether I personally need it or not, and why).
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber

said by jabarnut:

Thanks, Stuart...got it.
(I'll stay out of the argument as to whether I personally need it or not, and why).

I can't believe I'm defending Java, either, so good choice!

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

2 recommendations

gugarci to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

So you have never done a reliable speed test and feel no need to ever do one? Wow! Who is your ISP and how do I get a perfect connection like yours?

Did I insult you in this thread for you to reply in that manner. I asked a simple question. At the time i asked my question I forgot that Java is used in some speed tests. And I only performed a speed test if I notice a problem in my connection, which is rare.

Your problem is that your a paranoid. You go through life thinking everyone is out get you. You probably spend a good part of your day constantly checking your door and windows to make sure they are locked. You are a psychiatrist's wet dream.
Have a nice day.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
Yup that is one way..but what I had them do is this

COPY C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.cpl to C:\WINDOWS\system32\javacpl.cpl

which it failed to do..and that was easier for them..there is a javacpl.cpl in the bin..and it is easy to copy and paste it in the system32 folder. All three then found they had access again to the Java(TM) control panel but as we suspected it was set again by default to do that auto update crap..even though in 7u7 it was set to never do that.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

...but as we suspected it was set again by default to do that auto update crap..even though in 7u7 it was set to never do that.

That is par for the course these days. Just about everyone (Adobe, Apple, Oracle, etc) ignore previous preferences and sometimes even the ones you select at install time and enable/re-enable auto updating.

I actually have a mental checklist to go disable/uninstall auto-updating. I also check to see if any services were added and remove them if they were.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Same here..but in that case of XP..one could not even access that panel GUI for Java..I also have them go into the advanced tab and change a few things in there iif they really need java installed. Screenshot above is default settings in the advanced before changes made there.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

I usually run javacpl.exe manually, and as an Administrator, since some time ago Sun/Oracle decided to make many settings only available to Administrators and I'm usually logged into a non-Admin account.

FYI if you have the 64-bit version of Java installed along with the 32-bit they share the same settings. I use the 32-bit javacpl.exe.