redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

FF 16 Bug

»thenextweb.com/apps/2012/10/09/f···efox-17/

"Firefox 16 bug stops add-ons from opening in a new window, Mozilla plans fix for Firefox 17"

»bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=799348

UHG! i had anticipated problems with FF 16..

mozilla says they aren't going to bother to fix the bug, not with FF 16.. they say that they don't think it matters that addons don't work properly in FF...

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

The problem occurs because some add-ons are attempting to open a new window cross domain which is not allowed as a security measure in ALL browsers. Only SOME add-ons attempt to do this and are allowed because they are a user installed "program". It WILL be fixed in FF17....which is only 6 weeks away.

EDIT: And, in fact, has already been fixed for FF17 according to Bugzilla.

As the author of the article stupidly, contradictably states:

quote:
This bug is a perfect example of the rapid release cycle not working as it should.

...the rapid release cycle also means that non-critical fixes ship sooner than they used to.

quote:
they say that they don't think it matters that addons don't work properly in FF...

And, of course, they said no such thing.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit
reply to redwolfe_98

quote:
05.04.12 - The Next Web’s IE9 partnership - As part of the eternal quest for new digital advertising methods that work, The Next Web has entered into a content series agreement with Microsoft.
»memeburn.com/2012/05/the-next-we···f-crock/

Their news might be "under the influence"
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

Well, then, I wasn't going to say it before but the same issue would take a year or more to be fixed on IE cause IE only fixes things like this once per year (down from once every 3 years or more).

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to chachazz

said by chachazz:

quote:
05.04.12 - The Next Web’s IE9 partnership - As part of the eternal quest for new digital advertising methods that work, The Next Web has entered into a content series agreement with Microsoft.
»memeburn.com/2012/05/the-next-we···f-crock/

Their news might be "under the influence"

Yeah - that's pretty shady. And considering how minor this killer bug is, I have to agree they are shilling it up - bigtime....

redwolfe_98
Premium
reply to redwolfe_98

i use the "adblock plus" addon and it is not "minor", to me, that it does not function properly in FF 16..

i found a workaround for the bug.. in FF's "about:config", change the setting for "browser.link.open_newwindow" to "1" (one)..

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV

I also use ABP and don't have any problem. Maybe it's your settings?
We can compare if you'd like.

redwolfe_98
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

datadoc, you can refer to my original post.. there is a discussion about the bug at "bugzilla", linked to, above, in my original post..

mozilla acknowledges the bug but says that they think it is "minor" and so they aren't going to bother to fix it, in FF 16, though it will be fixed in FF 17, or so they say..

you would notice the bug when clicking a link on a webpage which opens another webpage, which uses a different domain, in a new "window".. for example, you may notice it simply by clicking the link to "bugzilla", in my original post..

however, using google as my homepage, i don't notice the bug when clicking the links in google search-results.. but, like i said, i do notice it in virtually all other cases, as described above.. (maybe there is something in the way that the google webpages are coded so that the bug is not applicable to them)..

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink

I just realized you open a new link in a window, but I open new links in new tabs (I'd almost always prefer one window with many tabs over multiple windows) so my settings avoid the problem. When I do want a new window, I'm using shift-left-click, which seems to avoid the bug as well.
--
Our people asked for help, and were denied help. Three times they asked and three times were refused. Now they're dead.