SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

35.00 restock fee and other ?

Alright, So here is what is going on.. Yesterday I bought an iPhone 5, paid $300.00 for the 32GB..
The sales guy is opening the box infront of me and i ask him what is the return policy..
He said "14 days and there is a restock fee of $35.00 if there isn't a defect".

Well I decide I don't want this phone any more since this isn't a major upgrade from the 4S IMO..
They want to charge me the $35.00 to restock the phone... BUT here is my fight with this..

THEY opened the phone (sales guy) and activated it for me WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

The sales guy could of 1) asked me if it is OK, 2) handed me the phone and asked me to open it.

But now they are trying to stick me with this fee.. I called Verzion and they said im SOL and it's up to the store..
What should I do?

ALso

So when I return my phone, how do I make sure I get my unlimited data back also they set my old contact day back?

Thanks

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

So you were aware of the fee, and still went though with the purchase?

Man up and pay the fee and stop trying to find a way to cop out of it.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

So you were aware of the fee, and still went though with the purchase?

Man up and pay the fee and stop trying to find a way to cop out of it.

He opened it after I bought the phone,after I signed for it.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

You still bought a phone realizing there was a restocking fee, even if they would have given you a sealed box how would the story be different? You bought it, you signed for it, they gave it to you. You changed your mind. 35$ restocking fee.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

You still bought a phone realizing there was a restocking fee, even if they would have given you a sealed box how would the story be different? You bought it, you signed for it, they gave it to you. You changed your mind. 35$ restocking fee.

I would of been able to think about my phone, the iphone 5 are hard to get so i wanted to buy the phone.. IF I opened it, i would be more than happy to eat the $35.00 but since he opened it.. i will fight this

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

Why does it matter who opens it? If you buy a beer at the bar does it matter if you open it or the bar madden? It is common practice for mobile phones to be opened and activated, if it was such a big deal you should have asked for an unopened one before accepting delivery. You were aware, you accepted, you are responsible.

Maybe you will find someone at Verizon that will waive the fee just to get rid of you.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by SuperNet:

Alright, So here is what is going on.. Yesterday I bought an iPhone 5, paid $300.00 for the 32GB..
The sales guy is opening the box infront of me and i ask him what is the return policy..
He said "14 days and there is a restock fee of $35.00 if there isn't a defect".

Well I decide I don't want this phone any more since this isn't a major upgrade from the 4S IMO..
They want to charge me the $35.00 to restock the phone... BUT here is my fight with this..

THEY opened the phone (sales guy) and activated it for me WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

The sales guy could of 1) asked me if it is OK, 2) handed me the phone and asked me to open it.

But now they are trying to stick me with this fee.. I called Verzion and they said im SOL and it's up to the store..
What should I do?

ALso

So when I return my phone, how do I make sure I get my unlimited data back also they set my old contact day back?

Thanks

This about it this way... You buy a computer at Best Buy, They open the box to make sure it is OK(with out your permission)... You decide you don't like it because it isn't what you expect.. You get charged $35.00 to return it, How you feel?
03667810 (banned)
join:2008-12-18
Grand Rapids, MI

03667810 (banned)

If you're not sure you want something, research it a bit more before you buy. It's why I avoid impulse buys. The restocking fee is legit. Sorry.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Why would I purchase a computer if I wasn't certain I wanted it? I would have inspected a floor model or other resources to assure the computer meet my expectations. Opening the box would have done nothing but assure it is in there and there are no missing pieces. If there was a missing piece I would hope they would make me whole, but I dont think that is the argument.

As for the opened or closed status of the package it doesn't matter. The restocking fee isn't any less valid even if its still sealed. They would still need to restock a sealed package...

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Stop being such a baby and cough up the $35.

And btw, your unlimited data is gone - you won't get that back.
bigddybn
join:2000-10-18
Stuart, FL

bigddybn to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Sorry but the time for "thinking about it" is the time immediately before putting your credit card on the counter. If him opening the phone was an issue for you then the time to speak up was right then and there.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to motoracer

Premium Member

to motoracer
I got them to wave the fee. And got the unlimited data back
spkay
join:2005-11-10
Princeton, MA

spkay to SuperNet

to SuperNet
The key to negotiating your way of any fee is to be polite, reasonable and stress your loyalty as a customer of the company who was mistaken about the value offered by the newer phone. Sounds like you didn't 'go all postal' and alienate the local VZW reps who can obviously waive the restock fee if they are so inclined. Good job!

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
put your old phone back on the line, and sell your iphone 5 for 680 dollars and make 400 dollars.

Pretty easy to deal with
spkay
join:2005-11-10
Princeton, MA

spkay

He paid $300 for the IPhone 5 with the contact and would lose the unlimited data as well. Selling the phone for 680 still leaves him with no phone and a data limited connection, not a smart deal. Anyone with a 4G SIM with unlimited data is crazy to do anything to forfit that to a shared data plan to offset the cost of a new phone, unless they never use their phone for anything but mobile occasional internet access.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

yeah sorry thought he said he had another phone available to him.

Also unlimited isn't that important to my family at least. I have the 4GB plan and used just over 2 GB. Just not that much use now a days with wifi availability.