spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ExcessPhase

@69.199.195.x

so I got Uverse internet 12MBits/1MBits

So 10 years without any improvement in Internet speed (used DSL Elite for many years) -- I think upload speed for DSL elite even halved from 1MBits to 0.5MBits.
So I bit the sour apple and bought the ATT router for $100.
On the day I should have been connected the old DSL went dead and the new did only have the speed of the old one -- exactly the same. It took 3 engineers from ATT to fix this -- including messing up my alarm system by disconnecting it.
So I now got what was promised (12/1).
But the webspeed is "unter aller Sau" -- one has to wait 10s for a website to load.
I searched the web and various people suggest to use OpenDNS or googleDNS -- I tried both without any improvement.
Should I ask for my old DSL back?
How to do this?

Peter

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by ExcessPhase :

Should I ask for my old DSL back?
How to do this?

Have you run speed tests? I don't speak German but the context indicates you're not satisfied.

In most cases, once you disconnect ADSL, they will not allow you to order it again. My understanding is that they want to decommission all of the ADSL stuff that they can.

However if AT&T will not reconnect ADSL, and there are third party providers in your area, you can check with them to see if you're eligible.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

ExcessPhase

@sbcglobal.net

speedtest.net and dslreports.com and att.com all report 10MBits down/1MBits up.
The bandwith is not the problem -- the DSN response time is.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by ExcessPhase :

speedtest.net and dslreports.com and att.com all report 10MBits down/1MBits up.
The bandwith is not the problem -- the DSN response time is.

I just wondered if your "12/1" in the first post was based on what AT&T told you, or what a third party measured.

You should also run UV Realtime, if for nothing else, just to get a baseline on record for everything.

DNS has been a problem at times. How did you conclude that sluggish DNS was the problem and not something else?
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to ExcessPhase

said by ExcessPhase :

But the webspeed is "unter aller Sau" -- one has to wait 10s for a website to load.

Is the system maybe running IPv6 lookups in preference to IPv4 lookups? Just a SWAG.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

ipman

join:2010-08-31
San Jose, CA

1 edit
reply to ExcessPhase

Shouldn't it be 12Mbps down / 1.5Mbps up?

I am not sure how tech savvy OP is. The first thing I would try is to remove other devices from the gateway and connect a wired connection with a laptop, even better is one with a clean install.

How do you know if it is the DNS that is slow? If the DNS is slow, and you ping www.google.com, it will be slow to start but if you ping its ip address it will start immediately.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by ipman:

Shouldn't it be 12Mbps down / 1.5Mbps up?

If it is ADSL2+ IPDSLAM Max, it would be 12 Mbps down/1 Mbps up

If it is VDSL2 FTTN or BPON FTTP Max, it would be 12 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up

To the OP: Are you using a Mac? Windows machine? Other?

Which browser are you using?

And how are you setting the DNS?

ExcessPhase

@sbcglobal.net
reply to ExcessPhase

run UV Realtime

thanks -- next time the problem occures -- currently everything works fine again...

ExcessPhase

@sbcglobal.net
reply to ILpt4U

To the OP: Are you using a Mac? Windows machine? Other?
Which browser are you using?
And how are you setting the DNS?

windows 7 64 & IE9
right click icon for wifi and get "network&sharing center"
and click adapter settings,
select the wifi adaper and select tcp-ip-4

I also wondered if the computer was using a TCP-ip-6 connection.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ExcessPhase

said by ExcessPhase :

run UV Realtime

thanks -- next time the problem occures -- currently everything works fine again...

Run it now when all is well so you have a baseline for comparison.

The program makes it very easy to save screenshots and even anonymize them for online sharing. You'll get some opinions on possible issues if you post them here.

This gives you a lot better basis for action than just seeing what it looks like when things go bad.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

shad103

@polycom.com

Their plans are a mess. I have 12Mbps/800Kbps up (in downtown Chicago, maybe you've heard of it) and tech support is telling me they cannot provide any additional upstream bandwidth. I'm only asking to get to 1M or 1.2M if possible, I just need a little more to provide for HD video conferencing form home office.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get them to at least try it. I know it's capped at 800 and I'm sure there is a little extra up there.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by shad103 :

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get them to at least try it. I know it's capped at 800 and I'm sure there is a little extra up there.

You know it is capped? How do you know it isn't a line problem? DSL is designed to train down if it can't hold sync at a higher rate.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum